Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP - Hardware ; I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I ...

  1. Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I
    format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste
    into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I
    right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:

    [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    [ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)

    The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable in
    about any DVD player.

    I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it when
    I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from XP
    when I try to get around DLA.

    How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

  2. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    Matt wrote:
    > I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I
    > format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste
    > into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I
    > right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    > Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    > and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    > volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >
    > [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    > [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    > [ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >
    > The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable in
    > about any DVD player.
    >
    > I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    > drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it when
    > I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from XP
    > when I try to get around DLA.
    >
    > How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    Dumb question, can you actually read the disk in XP once burned and
    rebooted back into XP. If your using DVD-R you wont be able to format it
    Or was that just a typo and you meant DVD-RW

    Never heard of DLA, but as it's the same DVD Burner/reader these's no
    need to make it compatible.

    As you trying to make it compatible I take your trying to create a movie
    disc, did it play in a standalone DVD Player?

    What are you actually burning to disk if not a movie?

    You could try *alcohol* it used to be a shareware burning app.

    Ram

  3. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    Ram wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro.
    >> I format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and
    >> paste into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done,
    >> I right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    >> and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    >> volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >>
    >> [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    >> [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    >> [ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >>
    >> The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable
    >> in about any DVD player.
    >>
    >> I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    >> drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it
    >> when I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from
    >> XP when I try to get around DLA.
    >>
    >> How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    > Dumb question, can you actually read the disk in XP once burned and
    > rebooted back into XP. If your using DVD-R you wont be able to format it
    > Or was that just a typo and you meant DVD-RW

    DVD-R

    You are not familiar with all the miseries of XP. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_Letter_Access

    > Never heard of DLA, but as it's the same DVD Burner/reader these's no
    > need to make it compatible.
    >
    > As you trying to make it compatible I take your trying to create a movie
    > disc, did it play in a standalone DVD Player?
    >
    > What are you actually burning to disk if not a movie?

    just files

    > You could try *alcohol* it used to be a shareware burning app.
    >
    > Ram

  4. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    Matt wrote:
    > I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I
    > format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste
    > into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I
    > right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    > Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    > and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    > volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >
    > [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    > [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    > [ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >
    > The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable in
    > about any DVD player.
    >
    > I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    > drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it when
    > I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from XP
    > when I try to get around DLA.
    >
    > How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    I don't know why what I am trying doesn't work. XP is supposed to be
    making a UDF filesystem, and Linux is supposed to be able to handle UDF.
    But when did MS conform to any standard? Is there a way to run
    something like fsck on a UDF disc?

  5. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:41:43 -0500, Matt wrote:

    > I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I
    > format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste
    > into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I
    > right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    > Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    > and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    > volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >
    > [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    > [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    > [ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >
    > The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable in
    > about any DVD player.
    >
    > I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    > drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it when
    > I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from XP
    > when I try to get around DLA.
    >
    > How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    Here's what I did. I selected a group of files, then right click send to
    drive E: (my burner). Balloon in task bar popped up saying click here to
    write the files to CD and I did so. I followed the dialog of the XP CD
    burner app and when finished took the CD and placed it in the burner on my
    linux box (this one is an external) and navigated to where the drive is
    mounted in /media/jun 04 2008 and the files were there. As you see I did
    nothing unusual in either XP or linux to record or read the files.

  6. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    Matt wrote:
    > Ram wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>> I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro.
    >>> I format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and
    >>> paste into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done,
    >>> I right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    >>> Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    >>> and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    >>> volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >>>
    >>> [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    >>> [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    >>> [ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >>>
    >>> The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable
    >>> in about any DVD player.
    >>>
    >>> I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    >>> drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it
    >>> when I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages
    >>> from XP when I try to get around DLA.
    >>>
    >>> How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    >> Dumb question, can you actually read the disk in XP once burned and
    >> rebooted back into XP. If your using DVD-R you wont be able to format it
    >> Or was that just a typo and you meant DVD-RW

    > DVD-R
    >
    > You are not familiar with all the miseries of XP. See
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_Letter_Access

    Looks like I don't.

    I still can't see how it formats the media before burning. DVD -/+ R
    are write once read many. Unless the format relates to how it is written
    at burn time.

    On a lighter note I can see your problem, Linux does not use Drive
    Letters

    >> Never heard of DLA, but as it's the same DVD Burner/reader these's no
    >> need to make it compatible.
    >>
    >> As you trying to make it compatible I take your trying to create a
    >> movie disc, did it play in a standalone DVD Player?
    >>
    >> What are you actually burning to disk if not a movie?

    > just files
    >

    >> You could try *alcohol* it used to be a shareware burning app.
    >>
    >> Ram

  7. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    wrote:

    >I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I
    >format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste
    >into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I
    >right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    >Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    >and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    >volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >
    >[ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    >[ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    >[ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >
    >The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable in
    >about any DVD player.
    >
    >I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    >drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it when
    >I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from XP
    >when I try to get around DLA.
    >
    >How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    Turn off DLA for that drive (and leave it off IMNSHO). IIRC, it's
    right click, properties, DLA tab on my StinkPad. DLA causes all
    kinds of grief both for read compatibility, and the way it ties up
    normal drive operations.

    Burn a file compilation using whatever burn utility you have
    installed. XP may have a native utility (send to CD ??).
    I use NERO.

    That should read just fine in most any OS.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  8. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    Bill Waddington writes:

    >On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:41:43 -0500, Matt
    > wrote:

    >>I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I
    >>format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste
    >>into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I
    >>right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot
    >>Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive,
    >>and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the
    >>volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like:
    >>
    >>[ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected
    >>[ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode(ino 1379518) failed !bh
    >>[ 661.165043] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    >>
    >>The "Make Compatible" option is supposed to make a DLA disc readable in
    >>about any DVD player.

    "DLA enables direct read/write drive letter access to your CD/DVD optical
    drive from Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, and XP. You can now use your CD-RW or
    DVD recorder for file storage and retrieval as if it were a hard drive or
    floppy disk. Discs must be formatted for DLA use."

    Ie, DLA is a windows program toallow drag and drop to the dvd. It uses a
    special format. "Compatible" mode is a special mode which is supposed to
    make it "Make Compatible feature lets you share your discs with just about
    anyone" but I suspect that by everyone they mean everyone running on
    Windows. Ie I certainly would not trust that it would make a format
    readable by anything but windows machines.

    >>I don't necessarily care whether I can use the DLA
    >>drag/drop/cut-and-paste features, and I feel almost forced into it when
    >>I try to burn a DVD under XP. Actually I get error messages from XP
    >>when I try to get around DLA.

    That is because you installed the DLA program with your DVD disk and it
    takes over the disk and the drivers.

    >>How do I burn DVDs under XP so they can be read under Linux?

    Get rid of DLS.

    >Turn off DLA for that drive (and leave it off IMNSHO). IIRC, it's
    >right click, properties, DLA tab on my StinkPad. DLA causes all
    >kinds of grief both for read compatibility, and the way it ties up
    >normal drive operations.

    >Burn a file compilation using whatever burn utility you have
    >installed. XP may have a native utility (send to CD ??).
    >I use NERO.

    >That should read just fine in most any OS.

  9. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:27:41 -0500, Matt quoth:

    > I don't know why what I am trying doesn't work. XP is supposed to be
    > making a UDF filesystem, and Linux is supposed to be able to handle UDF.
    > But when did MS conform to any standard? Is there a way to run
    > something like fsck on a UDF disc?

    I remember about a yr ago fooling with some udf stuff. really liked the
    idea of on-the-spot r/w access to dvds.

    but I rapidly gotten the impression that there are very definite standards
    for udf, in fact, _several_ different standards!

    Felmon

  10. Re: Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP

    On 2008-06-04, Ram wrote:
    > Matt wrote:

    [snip]
    >> You are not familiar with all the miseries of XP. See
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_Letter_Access
    >>

    > Looks like I don't.
    >
    > I still can't see how it formats the media before burning. DVD -/+ R
    > are write once read many. Unless the format relates to how it is written
    > at burn time.

    It does.

    My understanding, at least, is that UDF DVDs written using DLA, or
    more generally any "packet writing" utility, are written in a very
    different way from conventionally mastered UDF discs. It's
    practically a different format.

    The type of UDF that's used on normal DVD-Video discs and is truly
    almost "universal" is UDF 1.02 in the 'plain' flavor. Packet
    writing was added in version 1.50, and is called 'VAT'. Many devices
    and systems either don't support reading VAT even if they support
    1.50, or don't support 1.50 at all.

    Wikipedia explains it better than I can:

    According to that Wiki page, Linux *should* be able to read UDF 1.5
    discs as long as you have a recent 2.6 kernel, but I'm not sure about
    VAT discs specifically. A quick Google seems to indicate that you're
    not the only one having problems with it. The most common
    recommendation seems to be "stop using VAT/DLA".

    Personally, I tried using DLA once on an XP machine and swore off it
    immediately after figuring out how incompatible the discs it produced
    were. (Mac OS X won't touch them, at least not when I tried it.)

    Although conceptually packet writing is a cool idea, in practice I
    don't think there's much call for it anymore. It's a rare system that
    doesn't have enough temp space to make a copy of all the data you want
    to burn to a disc, and if you can do that you might as well master the
    disc conventionally.

    As for conventional DVD mastering under Windows, I've had good luck
    with Roxio's product (it used to be Easy CD Creator but it's something
    else now). Every Wintel machine I've used that's come with a CD/DVD-R
    drive has had some package or another pre-installed; you might just
    need to deinstall or disable the DLA components in order to get it to
    work right. If all you're doing is taking a folder full of files and
    burning them to disc, just about any utility ought to do the job.

    -Kadin.

    --
    http://kadin.sdf-us.org

+ Reply to Thread