Wow! 3D accelerated graphics just work with onboard Intel Adapter - Hardware

This is a discussion on Wow! 3D accelerated graphics just work with onboard Intel Adapter - Hardware ; I was with a colleage today, and I installed Debian on a Pentium 4 based system with an onboard Intel Graphics Chip (I'm not sure of the exact model, but I will find out next week.) Anyhow, I was absolutely ...

  1. Wow! 3D accelerated graphics just work with onboard Intel Adapter

    I was with a colleage today, and I installed Debian on a Pentium 4 based
    system with an onboard Intel Graphics Chip (I'm not sure of the exact
    model, but I will find out next week.) Anyhow, I was absolutely amazed.
    I ran glxinfo and the the hardware 3d graphics rendering reported as
    working. I was playing Billard-GL, Supertuxkart, and bzflag using just the
    Debian provided software. I had not installed any proprietary drivers. I was
    very impressed. I've been using old ATI Radeon 9200s here, but now I can
    definitely recommend Intel as a way forward, if a 3d capable computer is
    required.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  2. Re: Wow! 3D accelerated graphics just work with onboard Intel Adapter

    On Jun 4, 7:42 am, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    > > I was with a colleage today, and I installed Debian on a Pentium 4
    > > based system with an onboard Intel Graphics Chip (I'm not sure of the
    > > exact model, but I will find out next week.) Anyhow, I was absolutely
    > > amazed. I ran glxinfo and the the hardware 3d graphics rendering
    > > reported as working. I was playing Billard-GL, Supertuxkart, and
    > > bzflag using just the Debian provided software. I had not installed
    > > any proprietary drivers. I was very impressed. I've been using old
    > > ATI Radeon 9200s here, but now I can definitely recommend Intel as a
    > > way forward, if a 3d capable computer is required.

    > I'm really proud and grateful of Intel's open source contributions to
    > the Xorg Intel driver and find it to be a stable and reliable driver.
    > Performance is the only area that needs more real improvement with the
    > current DRI architecture IMO. DRI2 will however present new challenges
    > in the future to keep those coders busy.
    >
    > Just so you know, Xorg 7.3 and above by default enable compositing
    > (desktop acceleration if you like), with no configuration required on
    > the users part (you have to deliberately turn it off if you prefer
    > that). Xorg 7.3 will ship with the new stable release of Debian in
    > September, and it will be called 'Lenny', keep an eye out, great things
    > are to come
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Sheridan Hutchinson
    > Sheri...@Shezza.org
    >
    > signature.asc
    > 1KDownload

    Ditto to Intel laptop graphics chipsets too (X3100/GM965 type).
    Compiz now breezes through (in Kubuntu).

+ Reply to Thread