Re: Can I play a region 1 DVD in my region 2 dvd recorder? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: Can I play a region 1 DVD in my region 2 dvd recorder? - Hardware ; Chris Cox wrote: > mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile myvideo.mpeg2 You should use the "-vo null -ao null" options then, too, otherwise the content will be also displayed. Or you use mencoder. Wolfgang Draxinger -- E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org , ...

  1. Re: Can I play a region 1 DVD in my region 2 dvd recorder?

    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  2. The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    > You should use the "-vo null -ao null" options then, too,
    > otherwise the content will be also displayed. Or you use
    > mencoder.

    I managed to spool an an almost perfect playback using the following:

    mplayer dvd://1 -alang en -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile
    taleofterror.mpeg2

    The problem is that the soundtrack is in French. I want it to play in English.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > The problem is that the soundtrack is in French. I want it to
    > play in English.

    instead of alang you should use -aid with the numeric audio track
    id. There are recommendations, which track id to use for which
    language, but on some DVDs those are ignored, e.g. if there are
    multiple tracks of the same language, but with different speaker
    configurations, or there might be an audio commentary.

    The best way is to play the DVD and try the audio track id
    numbers, beginning with 1 until you find the one audio track you
    want. Then you use this with -aid option.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  4. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

    > mplayer dvd://1 -alang en -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile
    > taleofterror.mpeg2
    >
    > The problem is that the soundtrack is in French. I want it to play in
    > English.

    Sorry about my original followup. I didn't have my coffee yet this
    morning. (-:

    Use mplayer in verbose (-v) mode to see the list of available audio
    streams, then try using -aid try the different onces? Maybe the audio
    streams got marked with the wrong language codes.

    (I've never had to do this myself, but maybe it'd work.)

    Mark

  5. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
    > Use mplayer in verbose (-v) mode to see the list of available audio
    > streams, then try using -aid try the different onces? Maybe the audio
    > streams got marked with the wrong language codes.

    Playing dvd://.
    There are 4 titles on this DVD.
    There are 23 chapters in this DVD title.
    There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128.
    audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (stereo) language: fr aid: 129.
    number of audio channels on disk: 2.
    number of subtitles on disk: 0

    mplayer dvd:// -alang en -aid 128 -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile
    taleofterror.mpeg2

    It is still playing in French.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

    > Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
    >> Use mplayer in verbose (-v) mode to see the list of available audio
    >> streams, then try using -aid try the different ones? Maybe the audio
    >> streams got marked with the wrong language codes.

    > Playing dvd://.
    > There are 4 titles on this DVD.
    > There are 23 chapters in this DVD title.
    > There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    > audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128.
    > audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (stereo) language: fr aid: 129.
    > number of audio channels on disk: 2.
    > number of subtitles on disk: 0
    >
    > mplayer dvd:// -alang en -aid 128 -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile
    > taleofterror.mpeg2
    >
    > It is still playing in French.

    Given what I wrote above - what about 129 ?

    Mark

  7. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:

    > Given what I wrote above - what about 129 ?

    mplayer dvd:// -aid 129 -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile taleofterror.mpeg2

    Nahh. It is still in French.

    There are 4 titles on this DVD.

    Does this mean that there is more than one track? Maybe the English version is
    completely separate somehow. How do I play a different "title", or are titles
    related to subtitles?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  8. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > mplayer dvd:// -aid 129 -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile taleofterror.mpeg2
    > It is still in French.

    mplayer dvd:// -alang fr -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile taleofterror.mpeg2

    So is this.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  9. Re: The soundtrack is in French. I want to play it in English

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

    > Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
    >
    >> Given what I wrote above - what about 129 ?

    > mplayer dvd:// -aid 129 -dumpstream -vo null -ao null -dumpfile taleofterror.mpeg2
    >
    > Nahh. It is still in French.

    Bah, what a pain. ):

    > There are 4 titles on this DVD.
    >
    > Does this mean that there is more than one track? Maybe the English version is
    > completely separate somehow. How do I play a different "title", or are titles
    > related to subtitles?

    You can put a number after the // - e.g. dvd://2 or whatever.
    Whatever you call those numbered things, they're the things that
    have multiple chapters within them.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread