getting a device for an usb tape drive - Hardware

This is a discussion on getting a device for an usb tape drive - Hardware ; Hello, I am trying to use an HP DAT72 tape drive (USB version) on a Linux machine with Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.21. After plugging the thing, and giving "modprobe usb_storage", it is recognized (see messages below). Dmesg says that it ...

  1. getting a device for an usb tape drive

    Hello,
    I am trying to use an HP DAT72 tape drive (USB version) on a Linux
    machine with Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.21.
    After plugging the thing, and giving "modprobe usb_storage", it is
    recognized (see messages below).
    Dmesg says that it is st1 / sg4.
    However, these devices /dev/st1 and /dev/sg4 are not there. They cannot
    be used.
    I understand (barely :-)) that udev should create them. But they aren't
    there.
    What should I do?

    Thanks,
    Giovanni

    dmesg

    st 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi tape st1
    st 7:0:0:0: st1: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B)
    st 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 1

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi

    Host: scsi7 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: HP Model: C7438A Rev: ZU75
    Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03

    lshw

    *-usbhost
    product: EHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.21-2-686 ehci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@7
    logical name: usb7
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-2.00
    configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=6 speed=480.0MB/s
    *-usb
    product: DAT72 USB Tape
    vendor: Hewlett Packard
    physical id: 3
    bus info: usb@7:3
    logical name: scsi7
    version: 30.30
    serial: 4855310628553047
    capabilities: usb-2.00 emulated scsi-host
    configuration: driver=usb-storage maxpower=2mA
    speed=480.0MB/s
    *-tape UNCLAIMED
    product: C7438A
    vendor: HP
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@7:0.0.0
    version: ZU75
    serial: HU10628U0G
    capabilities: removable
    configuration: ansiversion=3

  2. Re: getting a device for an usb tape drive

    Giovanni Gigante staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am trying to use an HP DAT72 tape drive (USB version) on a Linux
    > machine with Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.21. After plugging the thing,
    > and [doing] "modprobe usb_storage", it is recognized (see messages
    > below). Dmesg says that it is st1 / sg4.

    > However, these devices /dev/st1 and /dev/sg4 are not there. They
    > cannot be used. I understand (barely :-)) that udev should create
    > them. But they aren't there. What should I do?

    Is udev running? Most tape drives are still SCSI, not USB, so the older
    udev rules in Etch may not take this stuff into account.

    > st 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi tape st1
    > Host: scsi7 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: HP Model: C7438A Rev: ZU75
    > Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03

    If all else fails, run mknod manually. mknod /dev/st1 c 9 1 && mknod
    /dev/nst1 c 9 129 . It may be that Debian saves manually created device
    nodes on shutdown, but check before rebooting. HTH,

    --
    I think I'll have to put on 500 pounds of subwoofers, amps, and other
    delicious herbs. --MegaHAL, trained on ASR