Graphics card ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Graphics card ? - Hardware ; I am about to buy a new box and have a choice between the GeForce 8400gs and the GeForce 8600gt both with 256 mb ddr2..I am not a gamer but do run compiz-fusion...Anyone tell me if I will notice a ...

  1. Graphics card ?

    I am about to buy a new box and have a choice between the GeForce
    8400gs and the GeForce 8600gt both with 256 mb ddr2..I am not a gamer
    but do run compiz-fusion...Anyone tell me if I will notice a difference
    between these cards ?
    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  2. Re: Graphics card ?

    I demand that twager may or may not have written...

    > I am about to buy a new box and have a choice between the GeForce 8400gs
    > and the GeForce 8600gt both with 256 mb ddr2..I am not a gamer but do run
    > compiz-fusion...Anyone tell me if I will notice a difference between these
    > cards ?

    Only those two? *Probably* not much, but I avoid those cards because of the
    lack of open-source 3D drivers.

    I'd go somewhere else and get either an ATI card (<= X1050; probably X700,
    X800, X850) or on-board Intel video.

    | + At least 4000 million too many people. POPULATION LEVEL IS UNSUSTAINABLE.

    Clairvoyant meeting cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

  3. Re: Graphics card ?

    twager wrote:
    > I am about to buy a new box and have a choice between the GeForce
    > 8400gs and the GeForce 8600gt both with 256 mb ddr2..I am not a gamer
    > but do run compiz-fusion...Anyone tell me if I will notice a difference
    > between these cards ?

    Both low end midrange cards. I suppose the 8600gt is faster. It will
    play some games reasonably well at lower resolutions.

    If you can find an older 7600gt, that's much better... and probably
    much cheaper.

  4. Re: Graphics card ?

    twager wrote:

    > I am about to buy a new box and have a choice between the GeForce
    > 8400gs and the GeForce 8600gt both with 256 mb ddr2..I am not a gamer
    > but do run compiz-fusion...Anyone tell me if I will notice a difference
    > between these cards ?

    As others have highlighted already, in technical terms, the 8600 will be
    faster than the 8400. However, how _much_ faster in real life is the
    question you should be asking yourself, because the difference will be
    truly minute even when playing serious games.

    If your 3D requirements solely comprise of the use of Compiz Fusion, then
    picking the 8600 over the 8400 will allow you to render the rotating cube
    approximately 0.03 nanoseconds faster than with the 8400, so whether that
    justifies the extra cost for an 8600 is your call only.

    It does however deserve to be noticed that nVidia does not offer its drivers
    as Free & Open Source Software - they are notorious for refusing to do so -
    and that any body of proprietary software statistically contains about 300
    times more bugs than a comparable body of open source code - I'm not making
    this up; this was established as a fact a few years ago already. As video
    drivers run in kernelspace, you should therefore ask yourself whether you
    want to risk your machine crashing (and losing important data) because of
    buggy proprietary drivers.

    As I (mis)understand it, Intel is now also moving into the market for
    plug-in video adapters, and most (if not all) of their hardware is
    supported via FOSS drivers. If I were you, I'd examine that possibility
    first before going for nVidia or ATi.

    The latter has now been bought by AMD and although AMD wants to release the
    ATi drivers as FOSS, they can't do that just yet for now as the drivers
    still contain proprietarily licensed code, and they would be in violation
    of the pertaining copyrights if they were to release that code to the
    public. So they'll have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch first, and
    up until then, ATi drivers are still proprietary, and even (far) worse in
    quality than those of nVidia, due to the fact that ATi has always had far
    fewer driver developers on their team than nVidia.

    Your mileage may and will vary, but those are my thoughts... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Graphics card ?

    I demand that Aragorn may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > As I (mis)understand it, Intel is now also moving into the market for
    > plug-in video adapters, and most (if not all) of their hardware is
    > supported via FOSS drivers. If I were you, I'd examine that possibility
    > first before going for nVidia or ATi.

    > The latter has now been bought by AMD and although AMD wants to release the
    > ATi drivers as FOSS, they can't do that just yet for now as the drivers
    > still contain proprietarily licensed code, and they would be in violation
    > of the pertaining copyrights if they were to release that code to the
    > public. So they'll have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch first, and
    > up until then, ATi drivers are still proprietary, and even (far) worse in
    > quality than those of nVidia, due to the fact that ATi has always had far
    > fewer driver developers on their team than nVidia.

    You're making it sound like all ATI cards require proprietary drivers (for
    3D)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#Linux

    | + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    I am Marvin of Borg. Guess which weapon I assimilated...

+ Reply to Thread