Interface with Lexmark Printers - Hardware

This is a discussion on Interface with Lexmark Printers - Hardware ; I've noted that there is a big problem with Linux and Lexmark printers, particularly those with USB interfaces. I have a X3550 and a Z22 that do not work with Linux. The Z22 works, but bombs and flashes its lights ...

  1. Interface with Lexmark Printers

    I've noted that there is a big problem with Linux and Lexmark printers,
    particularly those with USB interfaces.

    I have a X3550 and a Z22 that do not work with Linux. The Z22 works,
    but bombs and flashes its lights after the first page. (hooked up via
    parallel cable - per instructions found on web sites. Would not work USB).

    So what is the big deal with the Lexmarks? Any good drivers to run
    them? Is there a USB problem with Linux?

    Let me know...

  2. Re: Interface with Lexmark Printers

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 14:33:18 -0400, Harry Skelton wrote:

    > I've noted that there is a big problem with Linux and Lexmark printers,
    > particularly those with USB interfaces.
    >
    > I have a X3550 and a Z22 that do not work with Linux. The Z22 works,
    > but bombs and flashes its lights after the first page. (hooked up via
    > parallel cable - per instructions found on web sites. Would not work
    > USB).
    >
    > So what is the big deal with the Lexmarks? Any good drivers to run
    > them? Is there a USB problem with Linux?
    >
    > Let me know...

    Linux handles USB just fine, the problem is that Lexmark doesn't support
    Linux. The solution is to get an HP printer and give your Lexmarks to a
    Windoze using friend.

  3. Re: Interface with Lexmark Printers

    Harry Skelton wrote:

    > I've noted that there is a big problem with Linux and Lexmark printers,
    > particularly those with USB interfaces.
    >
    > I have a X3550 and a Z22 that do not work with Linux. The Z22 works,
    > but bombs and flashes its lights after the first page. (hooked up via
    > parallel cable - per instructions found on web sites. Would not work USB).
    > [...]

    Basically IME Lexmark "support" for Linux fairly sucks unless one uses one of
    their (quite expensive) laser printers. I recommend using some other brand for
    low end printers. I have had good success with Epson here and Epson even
    writes native drivers for Linux for many of their models. I also just installed
    an inexpensive (~$170/US), small business Samsung ML2571N network laser printer
    here in our SOHO business. Works great with Linux.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    My latest Blog article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ekjgd
    "Embedded Mandriva Linux in Samsung Network Printers? Maybe Not."
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  4. Re: Interface with Lexmark Printers

    On 22 May, 19:33, Harry Skelton wrote:

    > So what is the big deal with the Lexmarks? Any good drivers to run
    > them? Is there a USB problem with Linux?

    I dumped my Lexmark, they offer no useful Linux support at all and
    don't care.

  5. Re: Interface with Lexmark Printers

    bobharvey wrote:
    > On 22 May, 19:33, Harry Skelton wrote:
    >
    >> So what is the big deal with the Lexmarks? Any good drivers to run
    >> them? Is there a USB problem with Linux?

    > I dumped my Lexmark, they offer no useful Linux support at all and
    > don't care.

    So did I and am very happy with my HP All-In-One. I hooked it up to the
    USB and three clicks later I was scanning and printing.

    Alias

  6. Re: Interface with Lexmark Printers

    Harry Skelton wrote:

    > I've noted that there is a big problem with Linux and Lexmark printers,
    > particularly those with USB interfaces.
    >
    > I have a X3550 and a Z22 that do not work with Linux. The Z22 works,
    > but bombs and flashes its lights after the first page. (hooked up via
    > parallel cable - per instructions found on web sites. Would not work
    > USB).
    >
    > So what is the big deal with the Lexmarks? Any good drivers to run
    > them? Is there a USB problem with Linux?
    >
    > Let me know...

    No, only a Linux problem with Lexmark.

  7. Re: Good Cheap Lasers with Duplexing (Was: Lexmark....)

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 14:33:18 -0400
    > ...I also just installed
    > an inexpensive (~$170/US), small business Samsung ML2571N network laser printer
    > here in our SOHO business. Works great with Linux.

    Which brings up my other question - a replacement for the Lexmark...

    What is the absolute best B&W laser printer for Linux?
    What is the absolute best Color laser printer for Linux?

    Note: Needs to have network ability and a duplexer.

    My choice for the B&W is Laserjet 4M+ - old but never failed me. High
    volume toner eats boxes (reams and reams) of paper before dying.
    Haven't found a newer HP that can top it - other than DPI and speed. I
    have to look at cost factors.

    Color Laser is a question mark. Something that has high volume toner
    capacity. Last thing I need is to print five pages and then have to
    sell my house to buy four toner carts. (Some of the HP's I know are like
    that)

    The Linux printer comparison sites do not include price per page, costs
    of toner, or pages per cartridge information.

+ Reply to Thread