Help on USB serial, TUSB3410 and custom devices - Hardware

This is a discussion on Help on USB serial, TUSB3410 and custom devices - Hardware ; Please can someone help me with finding some information on the following topic: I have a custom device which communicates via USB. It has a TI TUSB3410 but with a different VID and PID (i.e. not the default Texas Instruments ...

  1. Help on USB serial, TUSB3410 and custom devices

    Please can someone help me with finding some information on the
    following topic:

    I have a custom device which communicates via USB. It has a TI
    TUSB3410 but with a different VID and PID (i.e. not the default Texas
    Instruments ones). I know there is already a USB-to-serial driver in
    the kernel for this chip which would do all I need but is it possible
    to tell the kernel to associate this driver with our device? I would
    then need it to run a hotplug script to set up the link to a user-
    space application.

    I think this would be an easy question for someone but I just can't
    find a site with the appropriate information,

    Thanks in advance

    peter

  2. Re: Help on USB serial, TUSB3410 and custom devices

    Peter Hull writes:

    > I have a custom device which communicates via USB. It has a TI
    > TUSB3410 but with a different VID and PID (i.e. not the default Texas
    > Instruments ones). I know there is already a USB-to-serial driver in
    > the kernel for this chip which would do all I need but is it possible
    > to tell the kernel to associate this driver with our device? I would
    > then need it to run a hotplug script to set up the link to a user-
    > space application.
    >
    > I think this would be an easy question for someone but I just can't
    > find a site with the appropriate information,

    Someone will have a better answer for you, but -

    One thing that I've sometimes successfully done is look in the source
    code for the device driver and found a list of device IDs it looks for
    and added the extra device to that list, or substituted it for one of
    the others I didn't care about, then recompiled and used that version.

    Mark

  3. Re: Help on USB serial, TUSB3410 and custom devices

    I think I might have found something:
    http://gate.brimson.com/downloads/ti..._notes-1.1.txt
    in section 5 it talks about using different PIDs and VIDs.
    It looks like the best approach would be to copy the existing driver
    and substitute my IDs, like you said.
    I've set up my device in OS X already and it's much easier on that
    system. I just used the IO Kit to register for notifications when my
    device was added and removed; no kernel or device drivers to worry
    about!

    Pete

    On May 21, 4:31*pm, "Mark T.B. Carroll"
    wrote:
    > Peter Hull writes:
    > > I have a custom device which communicates via USB. It has a TI
    > > TUSB3410 but with a different VID and PID (i.e. not the default Texas
    > > Instruments ones). I know there is already a USB-to-serial driver in
    > > the kernel for this chip which would do all I need but is it possible
    > > to tell the kernel to associate this driver with our device? I would
    > > then need it to run a hotplug script to set up the link to a user-
    > > space application.

    > > I think this would be an easy question for someone but I just can't
    > > find a site with the appropriate information,

    > Someone will have a better answer for you, but -
    >
    > One thing that I've sometimes successfully done is look in the source
    > code for the device driver and found a list of device IDs it looks for
    > and added the extra device to that list, or substituted it for one of
    > the others I didn't care about, then recompiled and used that version.
    >
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread