Which drive does ata7 correspond to? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Which drive does ata7 correspond to? - Hardware ; Hello all, I am getting hard drive failures on a computer that I have setup for raid5. The drive identifier in the logs is ata7, but I am unsure which drive this corresponds to and am wondering if anyone has ...

  1. Which drive does ata7 correspond to?

    Hello all,

    I am getting hard drive failures on a computer that I have setup for
    raid5. The drive identifier in the logs is ata7, but I am unsure
    which drive this corresponds to and am wondering if anyone has a
    technique for figuring this out? There are two separate "clumps" of
    drives; one is set of 4 is connected to a sata card and is received
    from the OS as /dev/hd[efgh], the other set is sata attached to the
    motherboard and is /dev/sd[abcdefgh].

    Sincerely,
    Dennison

  2. Re: Which drive does ata7 correspond to?

    Dennison.Williams@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am getting hard drive failures on a computer. The drive identifier
    > in the logs is ata7, but I am unsure which drive this corresponds to,
    > and am wondering if anyone has a technique for figuring this out.

    Look in /var/log/dmesg , which in many distros is an archive of the
    kernel messages right after boot. This should have a few lines that
    relate the string "ata7" to a physical device. AFAICT, nothing in /sys
    or /proc corresponds to those strings. What does a sample log line or 2
    look like? Please reproduce that data in a followup.

    > There are two separate "clumps" of drives; one set of 4 is connected
    > to a sata card and is [seen by] the OS as /dev/hd[efgh]

    SATA disks should always be seen as SCSI, not IDE. Did you misspeak?

    > the other set is sata attached to the motherboard and is
    > /dev/sd[abcdefgh].

    Considering the strange IDE drive lettering you mentioned, I'd guess
    that ata7 == /dev/sdh. But ICBW.

    --
    "Oh bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."
    --MHR on alt.fan.pratchett

  3. Re: Which drive does ata7 correspond to?

    Dances With Crows writes:

    >> There are two separate "clumps" of drives; one set of 4 is connected
    >> to a sata card and is [seen by] the OS as /dev/hd[efgh]

    > SATA disks should always be seen as SCSI, not IDE. Did you misspeak?

    Didn't this change between some 2.6 kernel versions from hd* to sd*?
    Maybe there were even both old and new SATA drivers available in some?
    I remember being irritated when I found that, whoops, I quickly had to
    change my bootloader config and fstab and whatever or suddenly a kernel
    upgrade meant I couldn't boot anymore!

    Mark

  4. Re: Which drive does ata7 correspond to?

    Mark T.B. Carroll staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows writes:
    >>> There are two separate "clumps" of drives; one set of 4 is connected
    >>> to a sata card and is [seen by] the OS as /dev/hd[efgh]

    >> SATA disks should always be seen as SCSI, not IDE. Did you misspeak?

    > Didn't this change between some 2.6 kernel versions from hd* to sd*?
    > Maybe there were even both old and new SATA drivers available in some?

    The "SATA looks like IDE" modules have been deprecated for years. The
    OP didn't say which version of which distro he was using, but if he's
    got some SATA disks that look like SCSI, then *all* of his SATA disks
    should look like SCSI. Unless he's got a controller card that takes
    disks of one type and presents them as disks of other types. There are
    a few cards like that, though usually they present IDE disks as SCSI
    disks if they do any translation at all.

    --
    I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.
    To the lions. --Brian Kantor

  5. Re: Which drive does ata7 correspond to?

    On May 22, 9:44 am, Dances With Crows wrote:
    > Mark T.B. Carroll staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    > >> SATA disks should always be seen as SCSI, not IDE. Did you misspeak?

    > > Didn't this change between some 2.6 kernel versions from hd* to sd*?
    > > Maybe there were even both old and new SATA drivers available in some?

    > The "SATA looks like IDE" modules have been deprecated for years. The
    > OP didn't say which version of which distro he was using, but if he's
    > got some SATA disks that look like SCSI, then *all* of his SATA disks
    > should look like SCSI. Unless he's got a controller card that takes
    > disks of one type and presents them as disks of other types. There are
    > a few cards like that, though usually they present IDE disks as SCSI
    > disks if they do any translation at all.
    >
    > --
    > I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.
    > To the lions. --Brian Kantor
    > My blog and resume:http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

    yeah this is a much older kernel that has not been upgraded in a
    while: 2.6.5. I ended up finding the drive cause it failed ;( /dev/
    sdg (which ata7 refering to the 7th drive letter I guess)

  6. Re: Which drive does ata7 correspond to?

    Dennison.Williams@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > On May 22, 9:44 am, Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Mark T.B. Carroll staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >>> Didn't this change between some 2.6 kernel versions from hd* to sd*?
    >>> Maybe there were even both old and new SATA drivers available in

    >> The "SATA looks like IDE" modules have been deprecated for years.
    >> The OP didn't say which version of which distro he was using, but if
    >> he's got some SATA disks that look like SCSI, then *all* of his SATA
    >> disks should look like SCSI.

    > yeah this is a much older kernel that has not been upgraded in a
    > while: 2.6.5. I ended up finding the drive cause it failed ;( /dev/
    > sdg (which ata7 refering to the 7th drive letter I guess)

    ata0 should be the first ATA device found, but apparently libata starts
    counting from 1 instead of 0. This is different from the old way of
    doing things, but it might confuse fewer n00bs.

    --
    Once I saw this wino who was eating grapes, and I said, "Dude, you
    have to wait." --Mitch Hedberg