Bluetooth USB Dongle? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Bluetooth USB Dongle? - Hardware ; Has anyone had experience adding Bluetooth to a Linux machine? Any comments on brands, compatibility, gotchas, etc? I want to set up Bluetooth networking to a PDA and am wondering which device I should get. In particular I'm wondering about ...

  1. Bluetooth USB Dongle?

    Has anyone had experience adding Bluetooth to a Linux machine? Any
    comments on brands, compatibility, gotchas, etc?

    I want to set up Bluetooth networking to a PDA and am wondering which
    device I should get. In particular I'm wondering about the
    mass-market dongles from Staples, Walmart, etc.

    Thanks in advance.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

  2. Re: Bluetooth USB Dongle?

    Doug Mitton staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Has anyone had experience adding Bluetooth to a Linux machine? Any
    > comments on brands, compatibility, gotchas, etc? I want to set up
    > Bluetooth networking to a PDA and am wondering which device I should
    > get. In particular I'm wondering about the mass-market dongles from
    > Staples, Walmart, etc.

    The Bluetooth devices on most laptops appear as USB devices, and as far
    as I can tell, the vast majority of those Just Work once the appropriate
    module has been modprobed. Almost any of the dongles will probably work
    fine as long as the kernel's recent enough. Plug the device in, make
    sure it appears in the output from lsusb, and if your distro doesn't
    modprobe something appropriate, find out which module you need and
    modprobe that. HTH,

    --
    "Cheer up, things could be worse." So I cheered up, and sure enough,
    things got worse.

  3. Re: Bluetooth USB Dongle?

    On May 20, 10:20 pm, Doug Mitton
    wrote:
    > Has anyone had experience adding Bluetooth to a Linux machine? Any
    > comments on brands, compatibility, gotchas, etc?
    >
    > I want to set up Bluetooth networking to a PDA and am wondering which
    > device I should get. In particular I'm wondering about the
    > mass-market dongles from Staples, Walmart, etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > --
    > http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    > SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

    I recently backed up my mobile phone with one of these no-branded
    bluetooth V1.2 dongles.
    See
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...opment.system/
    browse_frm/thread/24fdd3d6b9ff37f3/14b01f3c85902769?hl=en#>
    Gammu/Wammu is a great combination in my experience.

+ Reply to Thread