Linux and wireless pluscom ZD1211B - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux and wireless pluscom ZD1211B - Hardware ; Hello, I'm new to Linux so prepare for stupid questions. I'm trying to setup a PC with Linux and a wireless USB Pluscom ZD1211B network stick. I'm using Red Hat Fedora 9 freshly downloaded. The fedora 9 seems to see ...

  1. Linux and wireless pluscom ZD1211B

    Hello,

    I'm new to Linux so prepare for stupid questions.
    I'm trying to setup a PC with Linux and a wireless USB Pluscom ZD1211B
    network stick.
    I'm using Red Hat Fedora 9 freshly downloaded.
    The fedora 9 seems to see the stick as a Zydas WLA-54L. But all I get
    is
    Set Mode 8B06
    SET fail on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument
    Determining IP information for wlan0 failed.

    However the stick does come with a driver on a CD.
    There seem to be two directories underneath the linux drivers
    directory.
    (directory v1) that has a Makefile curiously a windows setup program
    and setup.ini file?
    also a setup.inx? as well as a src directory below this.

    (directory v2) that seems to have a compressed file that has some of
    the v1 stuff.

    Anyway basic question is what command do I need to install or compile
    this?
    There are no install instructions with it.

    If I type make

    I get

    /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop

  2. Re: Linux and wireless pluscom ZD1211B

    On May 20, 9:54*am, "david.cawkw...@tesco.net"
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm new to Linux so prepare for stupid questions.
    > I'm trying to setup a PC with Linux and a wireless USB Pluscom ZD1211B
    > network stick.
    > I'm using Red Hat Fedora 9 freshly downloaded.
    > The fedora 9 seems to see the stick as a Zydas WLA-54L. But all I get
    > is
    > Set Mode 8B06
    > SET fail on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument
    > Determining IP information for wlan0 failed.
    >
    > However the stick does come with a driver on a CD.
    > There seem to be two directories underneath the linux drivers
    > directory.
    > (directory v1) that has a Makefile curiously a windows setup program
    > and setup.ini file?
    > also a setup.inx? as well as a src directory below this.
    >
    > (directory v2) that seems to have a compressed file that has some of
    > the v1 stuff.
    >
    > Anyway basic question is what command do I need to install or compile
    > this?
    > There are no install instructions with it.
    >
    > If I type make
    >
    > I get
    >
    > /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop

    Looking a bit further

    Makefile says KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.6.9
    but looking in my directory I don't seem to have anything there.
    How do I install the kernel source?

  3. Re: Linux and wireless pluscom ZD1211B

    On May 20, 10:38*am, "david.cawkw...@tesco.net"
    wrote:
    > On May 20, 9:54*am, "david.cawkw...@tesco.net"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I'm new to Linux so prepare for stupid questions.
    > > I'm trying to setup a PC with Linux and a wireless USB Pluscom ZD1211B
    > > network stick.
    > > I'm using Red Hat Fedora 9 freshly downloaded.
    > > The fedora 9 seems to see the stick as a Zydas WLA-54L. But all I get
    > > is
    > > Set Mode 8B06
    > > SET fail on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument
    > > Determining IP information for wlan0 failed.

    > > However the stick does come with a driver on a CD.
    > > There seem to be two directories underneath the linux drivers
    > > directory.
    > > (directory v1) that has a Makefile curiously a windows setup program
    > > and setup.ini file?
    > > also a setup.inx? as well as a src directory below this.

    > > (directory v2) that seems to have a compressed file that has some of
    > > the v1 stuff.

    > > Anyway basic question is what command do I need to install or compile
    > > this?
    > > There are no install instructions with it.

    > > If I type make

    > > I get

    > > /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop

    > Looking a bit further
    >
    > Makefile says KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.6.9
    > but looking in my directory I don't seem to have anything there.
    > How do I install the kernel source?- Hide quoted text -

    I think I have the kernal source after doing an rpm command.

    But the compile still seems to error on the command

    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/wireless/
    linux/v1/Linux-Driver modules

    make: Entering an unknown directory
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or
    directory. Stop.

  4. Re: Linux and wireless pluscom ZD1211B

    david.cawkwell@tesco.net wrote:
    > On May 20, 10:38*am, "david.cawkw...@tesco.net"
    > wrote:
    >> On May 20, 9:54*am, "david.cawkw...@tesco.net"
    >>

    >> wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >> > I'm new to Linux so prepare for stupid questions.
    >> > I'm trying to setup a PC with Linux and a wireless USB Pluscom ZD1211B
    >> > network stick.
    >> > I'm using Red Hat Fedora 9 freshly downloaded.
    >> > The fedora 9 seems to see the stick as a Zydas WLA-54L. But all I get
    >> > is
    >> > Set Mode 8B06
    >> > SET fail on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument
    >> > Determining IP information for wlan0 failed.

    >> > However the stick does come with a driver on a CD.
    >> > There seem to be two directories underneath the linux drivers
    >> > directory.
    >> > (directory v1) that has a Makefile curiously a windows setup program
    >> > and setup.ini file?
    >> > also a setup.inx? as well as a src directory below this.

    >> > (directory v2) that seems to have a compressed file that has some of
    >> > the v1 stuff.

    >> > Anyway basic question is what command do I need to install or compile
    >> > this?
    >> > There are no install instructions with it.

    >> > If I type make

    >> > I get

    >> > /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop

    >> Looking a bit further
    >>
    >> Makefile says KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.6.9
    >> but looking in my directory I don't seem to have anything there.
    >> How do I install the kernel source?- Hide quoted text -

    > I think I have the kernal source after doing an rpm command.
    >
    > But the compile still seems to error on the command
    >
    > make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/wireless/
    > linux/v1/Linux-Driver modules
    >
    > make: Entering an unknown directory
    > make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or
    > directory. Stop.

    build should be a symlink to your linux source directory. It's
    normally created by the make modules_install step.

    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread