What is the correct and the quickest way to transfer 400G from 1 hd to another? - Hardware

This is a discussion on What is the correct and the quickest way to transfer 400G from 1 hd to another? - Hardware ; Hello, I Have 1 hd ntfs with some 400G of data which Id like to have on ext3. I suppose I just have fisrt to put 400G on another disk that reformat the first ext3 and than put them back. ...

  1. What is the correct and the quickest way to transfer 400G from 1 hd to another?

    Hello,

    I Have 1 hd ntfs with some 400G of data which Id like to have on ext3. I
    suppose I just have fisrt to put 400G on another disk that reformat the
    first ext3 and than put them back. What is the best way to do it

    Thank you

  2. Re: What is the correct and the quickest way to transfer 400G from 1 hd to another?

    On Mon, 19 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    , =SERGE= wrote:

    >I Have 1 hd ntfs with some 400G of data which Id like to have on ext3. I
    >suppose I just have fisrt to put 400G on another disk that reformat the
    >first ext3 and than put them back. What is the best way to do it

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 23639 Aug 21 2000 Hard-Disk-Upgrade
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 79391 Nov 8 2004 Large-Disk-HOWTO

    Both documents old, but useful. Section 7 of the 'Hard-Disk-Upgrade' mini
    howto discusses moving the data. Moving that much data is going to take
    time - lots of it. At 50 Megabytes/second, 400 Gigs is about 2.25 hours
    assuming nothing else is happening. When upgrading disks, it's often a
    good idea to be running in 'single user' mode, to minimize other tasks
    and reduce the chance of someone trying to access either disk at the
    same time.

    Old guy

  3. Re: What is the correct and the quickest way to transfer 400G from 1 hd to another?

    On 2008-05-19, =SERGE= wrote:

    > I Have 1 hd ntfs with some 400G of data which Id like to have on ext3. I
    > suppose I just have fisrt to put 400G on another disk that reformat the
    > first ext3 and than put them back. What is the best way to do it

    For max speed, connect the drive internally. To avoid opening your case,
    conenctiong and disconnecting drives, put the second drive in an USB box.
    This is, however, much slower.

    If you're comming from NTFS, you don't even have to worry about maintaining
    ownership or rights. Just use rsync, with enouigh parameters to keep the
    date.
    :
    rsync -var source/ dest/

    This has the advantage you can allways interrupt the process. When started
    again, it will resume where it left off.

    Be patient, have fun. I just did 200 GB when I replaced a drive.

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread