Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in thissystem" - Hardware

This is a discussion on Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in thissystem" - Hardware ; Hello, I just received a new Dell Precision T5400 and a new Adaptec 2230SLP SCSI Controller card. This system has been freshy installed with Open SuSE v10.2. The system is fully patched. After I install the Adaptec Storage Manager from ...

  1. Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in thissystem"

    Hello,

    I just received a new Dell Precision T5400 and a new Adaptec 2230SLP
    SCSI Controller card. This system has been freshy installed with Open
    SuSE v10.2. The system is fully patched.

    After I install the Adaptec Storage Manager from Adaptec's website,
    asm-linux_v2.12_922.rpm, and launch the GUI, the ASM reports "No
    controllers were found in this system". I can see the card using the
    following:

    #lspci
    07:05.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (Rocket) (rev 03)

    #lspci -v
    07:05.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (Rocket) (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Adaptec ASR-2230S + ASR-2230SLP PCI-X (Lancer)
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 74
    Memory at f7a00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
    Memory at f79ff000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Expansion ROM at f7c00000 [disabled] [size=32K]
    Capabilities: [48] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
    Queue=0/1 Enable-
    Capabilities: [58] PCI-X non-bridge device
    Capabilities: [60] Vital Product Data

    #hwinfo --storage-ctrl
    45: PCI 705.0: 0104 RAID bus controller
    [Created at pci.286]
    UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_9005_286
    Unique ID: ztKE.Cs92cf6rBgD
    Parent ID: Sulp.yyIDGfAwA_7
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/0000:03:00.3/0000:07:05.0
    SysFS BusID: 0000:07:05.0
    Hardware Class: storage
    Model: "Adaptec ASR-2230S + ASR-2230SLP PCI-X (Lancer)"
    Vendor: pci 0x9005 "Adaptec"
    Device: pci 0x0286 "AAC-RAID (Rocket)"
    SubVendor: pci 0x9005 "Adaptec"
    SubDevice: pci 0x028c "ASR-2230S + ASR-2230SLP PCI-X (Lancer)"
    Revision: 0x03
    Driver: "aacraid"
    Driver Modules: "aacraid"
    Memory Range: 0xf7a00000-0xf7bfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xf79ff000-0xf79fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xf7c00000-0xf7c07fff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
    IRQ: 74 (70 events)
    Module Alias:
    "pci:v00009005d00000286sv00009005sd0000028Cbc01sc04 i00"
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: aacraid is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe aacraid"
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #41 (PCI bridge)

    I can also access the Adaptec card during system boot. I don't have
    any SCSI storage plugged into it just now but I'm going to attached a
    Dell PowerVault 221S and hopefully configure it for RAID50.

    Another question, the 2230SLP card is advertised to run up to 133Mhz
    in the PCI-X bus. My Dell Precision is advertised to run up to 100Mhz
    in its PCI-X slots. Why is my card showing up as running at 66Mhz???
    There are no other cards in any of the other PCI-X slots.

    Thanks in advance,

    Rob Ramsey
    Colorado Springs

  2. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in this system"

    Rob wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just received a new Dell Precision T5400 and a new Adaptec 2230SLP
    > SCSI Controller card. This system has been freshy installed with Open
    > SuSE v10.2. The system is fully patched.
    >
    > After I install the Adaptec Storage Manager from Adaptec's website,
    > asm-linux_v2.12_922.rpm, and launch the GUI, the ASM reports "No
    > controllers were found in this system". I can see the card using the
    > following:
    >
    > #lspci
    > 07:05.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (Rocket) (rev 03)
    >
    > [...]
    > I can also access the Adaptec card during system boot. I don't have
    > any SCSI storage plugged into it just now but I'm going to attached a
    > Dell PowerVault 221S and hopefully configure it for RAID50.

    Perhaps it is a bug in the software, making it fail because there are no
    disks attached to the controller at present.

    > Another question, the 2230SLP card is advertised to run up to 133Mhz
    > in the PCI-X bus. My Dell Precision is advertised to run up to 100Mhz
    > in its PCI-X slots. Why is my card showing up as running at 66Mhz???
    > There are no other cards in any of the other PCI-X slots.

    As I (mis)understand it, the Adaptec 2130 and 2230 cards are PCI-X cards
    rated for normal operation at 133 MHz when plugged into a 133 MHz PCI-X
    slot.

    If the PCI-X slot on the motherboard only runs at 100 MHz, then the
    particular needs of this adapter card to run in PCI-X mode are not met and
    then it defaults to legacy PCI mode, which is 66 MHz for 64-bit devices and
    33 MHz for 32-bit devices. The 2230 and 2130 cards are 64-bit devices, so
    they'll run at 66 MHz in PCI mode.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found inthis system"

    Hello again,

    I downloaded a newer ASM package, asm_linux_x64_v5_20_17414.rpm, off
    the Adaptec site and got the Adaptec Storage Manager GUI to work
    properly.

    In my original post I had installed a much older version of the ASM
    package asm-linux_v2.12_922.rpm. This package was "supposed" to work
    with the 2230SLP card and the SuSE OS though. Aparently not : )

    I'm still curious about the fact that the controller card is running
    at 66Mhz though. I used to work for Silicon Graphics as a System
    Support Engineer and I used to install a lot of SCSI and Fiber Channel
    HBAs in their IX-Bricks. Depending on the model of card and whether
    or not the neighbor slot was populated, the PCI-X card could run at
    66Mhz, 100Mhz, or 133Mhz.

    A good example would be putting two U320 cards in adjoing slots.
    These cards would normally clock at 133Mhz each but since their paired
    up on the same SHUB (Bus) chip they downclock to 100Mhz. The only
    time I've seen a card clock at 66Mhz is because it's a legacy card and
    didn't support a faster bus speed or the bus, in the case of an older
    I-Brick, only supported 66Mhz.

    Thanks,

    Rob Ramsey
    Colorado Springs

  4. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in this system"

    Rob wrote:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > I downloaded a newer ASM package, asm_linux_x64_v5_20_17414.rpm, off
    > the Adaptec site and got the Adaptec Storage Manager GUI to work
    > properly.
    >
    > In my original post I had installed a much older version of the ASM
    > package asm-linux_v2.12_922.rpm. This package was "supposed" to work
    > with the 2230SLP card and the SuSE OS though. Aparently not : )

    Glad you figured that one out by yourself then. ;-)

    > I'm still curious about the fact that the controller card is running
    > at 66Mhz though. I used to work for Silicon Graphics as a System
    > Support Engineer and I used to install a lot of SCSI and Fiber Channel
    > HBAs in their IX-Bricks. Depending on the model of card and whether
    > or not the neighbor slot was populated, the PCI-X card could run at
    > 66Mhz, 100Mhz, or 133Mhz.

    Yes, but 66 MHz is not PCI-X mode. That's the legacy PCI mode, which most
    (but not all) PCI-X adapter cards support.

    > A good example would be putting two U320 cards in adjoing slots.
    > These cards would normally clock at 133Mhz each but since their paired
    > up on the same SHUB (Bus) chip they downclock to 100Mhz.

    This is true only if the adapter card actually supports working at 100 MHz.
    You have to keep in mind that if the card is forced to work at 100 MHz when
    it is listed as normally working at 133 MHz, it would not function well
    without that the manufacturer had taken the proper measures to ensure that
    it does.

    If the card were rated suitable for operation at 100 MHz, then it would have
    been listed on Adaptec's website as PCI-X 133/100 MHz-capable. Yet it
    isn't - I have a 2130-SLP myself, which is the single channel variant of
    the card you have. It's listed as PCI-X 133 MHz or PCI 66 MHz.

    Similarly, there are PCI-X cards that are geared for operation at 100 MHz,
    so it would be a bad idea to plug them into a 133 MHz slot. You can
    compare it to 3.3 Volt and 5 Volt PCI cards. Some cards are rated to work
    at both voltages, while others are rated to work only at 3.3 Volt, and
    others only at 5 Volt.

    In addition, if you were to have a motherboard with two PCI-X slots on the
    same bus, then putting a single PCI-X card in one of the slots while
    leaving the other open would indeed run it at 133 MHz - provided that the
    adapter card is rated for that speed - while plugging in a PCI-X card in
    both slots would reduce their bus speed to 100 MHz, again, provided that
    the adapter card is rated for that speed.

    However, if you were to plug one PCI-X card into one of the slots and a
    regular PCI card into the other slot, then *both* slots will operate at 66
    MHz and at PCI specification, not PCI-X specification.

    > The only time I've seen a card clock at 66Mhz is because it's a legacy
    > card and didn't support a faster bus speed or the bus, in the case of an
    > older I-Brick, only supported 66Mhz.

    PCI-X slots are backwards compatible with PCI - although not all PCI-X
    *adapter* *cards* are backwards compatible! - so if you plug a PCI device
    into a PCI-X slot, the slot will operate at PCI specification. PCI-X is
    more than just PCI running at a higher bus speed. ;-)

    There is ample documentation on the web about the latest PCI, PCI-X and PCIe
    standards. Google is your friend and all that. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found inthis system"

    Hello Aragorn,

    You know your storage pretty well! I have also had the same experienc
    where a customer would pair a Quad 4Gb FC (133Mhz) card with a crap
    U160 card and drop the bus down to 66Mhz for both.

    I thought I had done enough research when I purchaed my Dell Precision
    and this Adaptec card. I had assumed that the card would run at
    100Mhz (it should considering it cost almost $700). Anyway, the only
    systems Dell sells with 133Mhz PCI-X slots are their rack mount
    systems. I don't have a rack and putting a 1U box on a destop looks
    retarded so I opted for the Dell Precision tower instead. Looks like
    I made a bad call.

    The motivation for this purchase was to improve my current NFS
    performance. I've currently got a Dell Precision 490 (2P Xeon@3Ghz,
    1GB RAM, Open SuSE 10.2) with a Dell PERC320 SCSI Controller (64Mb, 2
    Channel, PCI-X) connected to a PowerVault 221S.

    In this configuration, the PERC320 is also running at 66Mhz. The
    storage is currently configured for RAID50 utilizing 10 drives (10k
    RPM), 5 drives in each bay (with the storage tray setup in a 2x7
    configuration, instead of a 1x14). I can only hope that the system is
    concatinating two 4+1 strips with each stripe contained in each bay.
    In this configuration I'm getting 56Mbps. I'm getting this number
    using:

    time dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/file.out bs=1MB count=1000

    By comparison, my interal 7,200 RPM SATA drives (software mirrored
    with LVM) are getting 80Mbps. Ove the Gig-E LAN, using NFS v3, I'm
    getting about 10Mbps on the NFS exported PowerVault.

    My hope with this new Dell Precision T5400 and Adaptec 2230SLP
    controller card was that I'd get more performance by having a faster
    bus speed, 100Mhz, and better write caching with it's 128Mb. Reading
    through your post, I'm probably not going to much if any performance
    improvement out of this new box. Does that sound about right?

    Thanks!

    Rob

  6. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found inthis system"

    On Fri, 16 May 2008, Rob wrote:

    > Hello Aragorn,
    >
    > You know your storage pretty well! I have also had the same experienc
    > where a customer would pair a Quad 4Gb FC (133Mhz) card with a crap
    > U160 card and drop the bus down to 66Mhz for both.
    >
    > I thought I had done enough research when I purchaed my Dell Precision
    > and this Adaptec card. I had assumed that the card would run at
    > 100Mhz (it should considering it cost almost $700). Anyway, the only
    > systems Dell sells with 133Mhz PCI-X slots are their rack mount
    > systems. I don't have a rack and putting a 1U box on a destop looks
    > retarded so I opted for the Dell Precision tower instead. Looks like
    > I made a bad call.
    >
    > The motivation for this purchase was to improve my current NFS
    > performance. I've currently got a Dell Precision 490 (2P Xeon@3Ghz,
    > 1GB RAM, Open SuSE 10.2) with a Dell PERC320 SCSI Controller (64Mb, 2
    > Channel, PCI-X) connected to a PowerVault 221S.
    >
    > In this configuration, the PERC320 is also running at 66Mhz. The
    > storage is currently configured for RAID50 utilizing 10 drives (10k
    > RPM), 5 drives in each bay (with the storage tray setup in a 2x7
    > configuration, instead of a 1x14). I can only hope that the system is
    > concatinating two 4+1 strips with each stripe contained in each bay.
    > In this configuration I'm getting 56Mbps. I'm getting this number
    > using:
    >
    > time dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/file.out bs=1MB count=1000
    >
    > By comparison, my interal 7,200 RPM SATA drives (software mirrored
    > with LVM) are getting 80Mbps. Ove the Gig-E LAN, using NFS v3, I'm
    > getting about 10Mbps on the NFS exported PowerVault.

    You are writing 1GB. Possibly all of that could be cached and you might
    not be seeing the performance of the controller and disk system. In my
    experience, RAID systems work well writing a single large file but suck
    badly when reading/writing a lot of small files.

    You might want to install bonnie or bonnie++ to test performance. Another
    test to perform might be to create a RAM disk on the server, export it via
    NFS and then test the performance of the ramdisk over NFS.

  7. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in this system"

    Whoever wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 May 2008, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> In this configuration, the PERC320 is also running at 66Mhz. The
    >> storage is currently configured for RAID50 utilizing 10 drives (10k
    >> RPM), 5 drives in each bay (with the storage tray setup in a 2x7
    >> configuration, instead of a 1x14). I can only hope that the system is
    >> concatinating two 4+1 strips with each stripe contained in each bay.
    >> In this configuration I'm getting 56Mbps. I'm getting this number
    >> using:
    >>
    >> time dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/file.out bs=1MB count=1000
    >>
    >> By comparison, my interal 7,200 RPM SATA drives (software mirrored
    >> with LVM) are getting 80Mbps. Ove the Gig-E LAN, using NFS v3, I'm
    >> getting about 10Mbps on the NFS exported PowerVault.

    > You are writing 1GB. Possibly all of that could be cached and you might
    > not be seeing the performance of the controller and disk system. In my
    > experience, RAID systems work well writing a single large file but suck
    > badly when reading/writing a lot of small files. [...]

    The performance of a RAID system depends on many things. First of all
    there's the type of RAID. Secondly there's the stripe size. Thirdly
    there's the number of disks in the array. Fourthly there's the intended
    goal of the RAID array.

    Trust me, the finetuning of a RAID array for performance is a whole subject
    of its own, about which books have been written, and which many corporate
    IT departments are still struggling with. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in this system"

    Rob wrote:

    > Hello Aragorn,
    >
    > You know your storage pretty well!

    Ehm... I'm just a SCSI fan. ;-)

    > [...]
    >
    > I thought I had done enough research when I purchaed my Dell Precision
    > and this Adaptec card. I had assumed that the card would run at
    > 100Mhz (it should considering it cost almost $700).

    Oh, I know all about the pricetag. :-) I'm currently setting up a machine
    with Xen and Gentoo, which has an Adaptec SAS RAID PCIe controller in it,
    with four Hitachi UltraStar 15 k 147 GB SAS drives in RAID 5. ;-)

    Yet, the mistake you've made is one I had almost made myself, with regard to
    a PCI-X SATA controller I intended to buy, and which would only work at 133
    MHz PCI-X - so not even in legacy 66 MHz PCI mode.

    > Anyway, the only systems Dell sells with 133Mhz PCI-X slots are their rack
    > mount systems. I don't have a rack and putting a 1U box on a destop looks
    > retarded so I opted for the Dell Precision tower instead. Looks like
    > I made a bad call.

    I've stopped purchasing brandname computers for myself a long time ago. Now
    I just scout the internet for components that I like and then I have
    someone build me the system I want with those components. At least,
    everything will then be made to *my* preferences, and in addition I won't
    get any Microsoft license shoved down my throat. ;-)

    This said, our organization does use (second-hand) Dell equipment. A
    PowerEdge, to be precise - we had another PowerEdge earlier but it was
    given a glass of Coca-Cola to drink by a careless admin and it didn't
    appear to like that.

    > The motivation for this purchase was to improve my current NFS
    > performance. I've currently got a Dell Precision 490 (2P Xeon@3Ghz,
    > 1GB RAM, Open SuSE 10.2) with a Dell PERC320 SCSI Controller (64Mb, 2
    > Channel, PCI-X) connected to a PowerVault 221S.

    If my memory serves me right, then the Dell PERC320 is actually a
    Dell-branded Adaptec, LSI or QLogic controller.

    > In this configuration, the PERC320 is also running at 66Mhz. The
    > storage is currently configured for RAID50 utilizing 10 drives (10k
    > RPM), 5 drives in each bay (with the storage tray setup in a 2x7
    > configuration, instead of a 1x14). I can only hope that the system is
    > concatinating two 4+1 strips with each stripe contained in each bay.
    > In this configuration I'm getting 56Mbps. I'm getting this number
    > using:
    >
    > time dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/file.out bs=1MB count=1000
    >
    > By comparison, my interal 7,200 RPM SATA drives (software mirrored
    > with LVM) are getting 80Mbps. Ove the Gig-E LAN, using NFS v3, I'm
    > getting about 10Mbps on the NFS exported PowerVault.
    >
    > My hope with this new Dell Precision T5400 and Adaptec 2230SLP
    > controller card was that I'd get more performance by having a faster
    > bus speed, 100Mhz, and better write caching with it's 128Mb. Reading
    > through your post, I'm probably not going to much if any performance
    > improvement out of this new box. Does that sound about right?

    As I wrote in my other post - in reply to the poster dubbed Whoever - RAID
    performance depends a lot on the number of disks involved, the RAID type,
    the intended usage - e.g. small files versus large streams or databases -
    and even on the filesystem used. /ext3/ is not exactly the best performer
    among Linux filesystems - in fact, it's about the worst.

    The bigger cache on your RAID device will add somewhat to your performance,
    and of course having the device operate at 133 MHz and PCI-X specification
    would yield better performance than when operating at 66 MHz PCI specs.

    Everything depends on your budget and on how far you want to push this, but
    if you have any PCIe slots available and you have the cash to spend, then I
    would recommend buying a PCIe RAID adapter - from Adaptec, why not? - and
    then you would really be getting good performance out of your gear.

    However, there's also one other thing to keep in mind. SAS and SATA are
    advertised as allowing 3.0 Gbit/sec transfer - that's 384 MB/sec - per
    attached disk, while Ultra 320 SCSI advertises 320 MB/sec per SCSI channel.
    Quite a bit lower (since it concerns the combined transfer of information
    from all devices per channel), but still fairly impressive.

    What most people overlook however is that no single hard disk can ever give
    you that performance simply because of the way a hard disk works. The SAS
    disks I have are about the fastest disks available today, and still their
    sustained throughput per disk is only about 120-130 MB/sec - I'm not sure
    on the exact numbers, but that should be close enough.

    If you do go hunting for a PCIe SCSI RAID controller, then I would recommend
    a SAS controller. SAS disks are not the same as parallel SCSI disks, but a
    SAS controller allows you to connect both SAS disks and the much more
    affordable SATA disks, and mix them into a single RAID array.

    Of course, all of the above depends on how far you want to push it, as I've
    already said. ;-) Your mileage and bank account balance may vary... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found inthis system"

    Hello Aragorn,

    I contacted Adaptec's support and the e-mailed me the following info:

    Yes, the controller supports 100Mhz clock rates. No you do not need
    to have the controller replaced, the slot negotiates the transfer
    rate. If both 64bit PCI slots are populated, it's highly likely only
    one will support the 100Mhz transfer rate. If not, try the other slot
    or check for a BIOS update from Dell.

    Thank you for using Adaptec's ASK US Support Service.

    So, I moved this card to another slot and the system still shows 66Mhz
    using "lspci -v". Does the lspci comman accurately display bus
    speeds? Is there any other tool I can use to see what speed this card
    is running at?

    Again, this card is all by itself on the PCI-X bus. The ONLY other
    card I have installed is a PCI-E video card.

    Thanks again,

    Rob Ramsey

  10. Re: Adaptec Storage Manager reports "No controllers were found in this system"

    Rob wrote:

    > Hello Aragorn,
    >
    > I contacted Adaptec's support and the e-mailed me the following info:

    > Yes, the controller supports 100Mhz clock rates. No you do not need
    > to have the controller replaced, the slot negotiates the transfer
    > rate. If both 64bit PCI slots are populated, it's highly likely only
    > one will support the 100Mhz transfer rate. If not, try the other slot
    > or check for a BIOS update from Dell.
    >
    > Thank you for using Adaptec's ASK US Support Service.
    >
    > So, I moved this card to another slot and the system still shows 66Mhz
    > using "lspci -v". Does the lspci comman accurately display bus
    > speeds? Is there any other tool I can use to see what speed this card
    > is running at?

    Possibly /lshw/ can show you more or other details, but I've never used that
    myself. You could even get more output from /lspci,/ if you want. See
    the /man/ page. ;-)

    For instance,...

    lspci -vvv

    .... gives you a whole lot more of verbosity. ;-)

    If you really want to make this card run at 100 MHz, then check with Dell
    for a BIOS upgrade, as the Adaptec guys have told you. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread