80s-style banner printing - Hardware

This is a discussion on 80s-style banner printing - Hardware ; I have a dot-matrix (i.e. impact) printer, perforated tractor-feed paper and all. How do I print out banners? I've made a CUPS raw queue if that helps. Niceties (like font choice and borders) are extra goodness, but not critical. -- ...

  1. 80s-style banner printing

    I have a dot-matrix (i.e. impact) printer, perforated tractor-feed paper
    and all. How do I print out banners? I've made a CUPS raw queue if that
    helps. Niceties (like font choice and borders) are extra goodness, but
    not critical.

    VIRGO: All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
    for you. Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
    head impaled upon a stick. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

  2. Re: 80s-style banner printing

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 23:07:42 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > I have a dot-matrix (i.e. impact) printer, perforated tractor-feed paper
    > and all. How do I print out banners? I've made a CUPS raw queue if
    > that helps. Niceties (like font choice and borders) are extra goodness,
    > but not critical.

    man banner

  3. Re: 80s-style banner printing

    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:

    > I have a dot-matrix (i.e. impact) printer, perforated tractor-feed paper
    > and all. How do I print out banners? I've made a CUPS raw queue if that
    > helps. Niceties (like font choice and borders) are extra goodness, but
    > not critical.

    http://www.figlet.org/ may be your good friend in this endeavor.

    Mark

  4. Re: 80s-style banner printing

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 23:07:42 GMT, Hactar wrote:
    >I have a dot-matrix (i.e. impact) printer, perforated tractor-feed paper
    >and all. How do I print out banners? I've made a CUPS raw queue if that
    >helps. Niceties (like font choice and borders) are extra goodness, but
    >not critical.

    Someone already mentioned banner...but the next step is some good old
    ascii art! I've got Spock, Snoopy and the Mona Lisa on green-lined
    paper on the wasll behind me. There's a website somewhere with loads
    of pics, sorry I don't have a url but google for "ascii art".

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr t-bone .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  5. Re: 80s-style banner printing

    In article ,
    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 23:07:42 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > I have a dot-matrix (i.e. impact) printer, perforated tractor-feed paper
    > > and all. How do I print out banners? I've made a CUPS raw queue if
    > > that helps. Niceties (like font choice and borders) are extra goodness,
    > > but not critical.

    > man banner

    Cool, and it was already there. I didn't see a way to make it outline,
    so I wrote a script to do edge detection. Cue someone to come along now
    and point out a binary that does this and much more, and faster to boot.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    "You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
    "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert

  6. Re: 80s-style banner printing

    t-bone@address.invalid (Stan Barr) writes:

    > Someone already mentioned banner...but the next step is some good old
    > ascii art!

    These days one has AAlib and libcaca for those special moments ...

    -- HASM

+ Reply to Thread