AMD XP Athlon 2400+ - Hardware

This is a discussion on AMD XP Athlon 2400+ - Hardware ; Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried? Thanks, Alias...

  1. AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried?

    Thanks,

    Alias

  2. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    Alias staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Is 60 C too hot for [an Athlon XP 2400+] processor?

    2400? That's pretty old. That's about 10-15 C hotter than it really
    should be, though theoretically, it should be able to operate without
    errors at that temp. Check the CPU fan, the heatsink, and the power
    supply fan. You may find that one or more of those components is
    clogged with dust or not turning. Fix those things, and the temp should
    go down. (Athlon 64 3500+, running at 2200 MHz, 51 C.)

    --
    Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans. We need some saliva
    and pickles to get mad. --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"

  3. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    In article , Alias wrote:
    > Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried?

    I had one that ran that hot, then it died and I borrowed a slower chip
    (1800+, ~1.7 GHz?) from my friend which ran in the 30s. Not sure if
    that chip ran that hot by design, or if it or my installation was
    faulty. Try (in order of severity) de-dusting your heat sink/fan,
    reseating it, re-applying fresh thermal grease, and cleaning/polishing
    the surfaces. There are 2600+ chips of the correct FSB speed out there
    (eBay); maybe the overheating is caused by a flaw, but only a flaw
    that's present in that particular chip.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

  4. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:03:08 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alias

    It may be as my AMD XP Athlon 2500+ Barton core runs at 46C (115F).

    Are you running lm_sensors?
    If so make sure that the configuration file is proper, mine was not and
    it indicated that the cpu and system was running hot even though it was
    not. I Google`d for lm_sensors and my MB and found the proper config.

    --
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  5. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    I demand that Dances With Crows may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > (Athlon 64 3500+, running at 2200 MHz, 51 C.)

    Which is reasonable under load; I've seen mine reach 60°C during long
    compilation runs. When idling (but with X running), it looks like it's
    running at about 9°C above room temperature.

    | + Lobby friends, family, business, government. WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET.

    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

  6. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:03:08 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried?

    How long has it been since your thoroughly cleaned the fan/heatsink, and
    the system in general? If all you've done is just blow or vacuum things
    out, it's time you removed the heatsink and cleaned it.

    I had run my old system (1GHz Duron) almost continuously for 4 years,
    only shutting it down to vacuum the dust out and blow out the heatsink.
    Slowly over a period of a year or so, the machine would shutdown
    unexpectedly, just as if you turned off the power only the fans would
    still be running. To make a long story short: After several weeks of
    troubleshooting, I finally removed the heatsink and its fan, and it was
    caked with 4 years of crud that was not visible without removing it
    blocking most of the air flow. I had to use detergent and a toothbrush
    to scrub the stuff off. I also cleaned off the old thermal grease using
    97% pure isopropyl alcohol, applied new and reinstalled everything.
    Problem stopped.

    Remove and clean the heatsink. Just blowing it out doesn't really clean
    it all that well. Then see if the temp goes down.

    Stef

  7. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    Stefan Patric wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:03:08 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried?

    > How long has it been since your thoroughly cleaned the fan/heatsink, and
    > the system in general? If all you've done is just blow or vacuum things
    > out, it's time you removed the heatsink and cleaned it.
    >
    > I had run my old system (1GHz Duron) almost continuously for 4 years,
    > only shutting it down to vacuum the dust out and blow out the heatsink.
    > Slowly over a period of a year or so, the machine would shutdown
    > unexpectedly, just as if you turned off the power only the fans would
    > still be running. To make a long story short: After several weeks of
    > troubleshooting, I finally removed the heatsink and its fan, and it was
    > caked with 4 years of crud that was not visible without removing it
    > blocking most of the air flow. I had to use detergent and a toothbrush
    > to scrub the stuff off. I also cleaned off the old thermal grease using
    > 97% pure isopropyl alcohol, applied new and reinstalled everything.
    > Problem stopped.
    >
    > Remove and clean the heatsink. Just blowing it out doesn't really clean
    > it all that well. Then see if the temp goes down.
    >
    > Stef

    The inside of the computer is very clean, not one speck of dust. We've
    decided the problem is the cheapo CPU fan and the fact that it's the
    ONLY fan in the rig.

    Alias

  8. Re: AMD XP Athlon 2400+

    In article ,
    Stefan Patric writes:
    > On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:03:08 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Is 60 degrees C too hot for that processor? Should I be worried?

    > How long has it been since your thoroughly cleaned the fan/heatsink, and
    > the system in general? If all you've done is just blow or vacuum things
    > out, it's time you removed the heatsink and cleaned it.
    >
    > I had run my old system (1GHz Duron) almost continuously for 4 years,
    > only shutting it down to vacuum the dust out and blow out the heatsink.
    > Slowly over a period of a year or so, the machine would shutdown
    > unexpectedly, just as if you turned off the power only the fans would
    > still be running. To make a long story short: After several weeks of
    > troubleshooting, I finally removed the heatsink and its fan, and it was
    > caked with 4 years of crud that was not visible without removing it
    > blocking most of the air flow. I had to use detergent and a toothbrush
    > to scrub the stuff off. I also cleaned off the old thermal grease using
    > 97% pure isopropyl alcohol, applied new and reinstalled everything.
    > Problem stopped.
    >
    > Remove and clean the heatsink. Just blowing it out doesn't really clean
    > it all that well. Then see if the temp goes down.

    Your mileage may vary. I have an Athlon XP 2200 whose CPU fan gathers a
    lot of dust. Nine months after the purchase - when it was summer - the
    temperature reached 95 degrees. Blowing out the CPU fan solved the problem.
    I now blow out the CPU fan a couple of times per year and everything stays
    cool. Actually I did this the other day, and CPU temperature dropped from
    69 to 52 degrees, which - we're having nice weather - is almost room
    temperature.

+ Reply to Thread