recording and noise - Hardware

This is a discussion on recording and noise - Hardware ; Hi, i have a problem using audio on linux using this command: cat out and then cat /dev/dsp I obtain a very bad-quality sound with a lot of noise in background... Using windows, this doesn't happened. but using a prerecorded ...

  1. recording and noise

    Hi, i have a problem using audio on linux

    using this command:

    cat < /dev/dsp > out

    and then

    cat < out > /dev/dsp

    I obtain a very bad-quality sound with a lot of noise in background...
    Using windows, this doesn't happened.

    but using a prerecorded one, like

    cat < /usr/share/sounds/ekiga/newmessage.wav > /dev/dsp

    I obtain a perfect output.

    dmesg | grep -i sound; dmesg | grep -i audio
    does not output anything.

    My PC is Compaq Armada
    motherboard: Gamila/Giovani/Neon series
    vendor: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD

    any idea?
    thanks

  2. Re: recording and noise

    In article <482284eb$0$35966$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it>,
    antonio wrote:
    > Hi, i have a problem using audio on linux
    >
    > using this command:
    >
    > cat < /dev/dsp > out
    >
    > and then
    >
    > cat < out > /dev/dsp
    >
    > I obtain a very bad-quality sound with a lot of noise in background...

    Are you sure that recording and playback use the same default
    parameters?

    Tried using arecord and aplay?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    "God does not play dice" -- Einstein

  3. Re: recording and noise

    >> I obtain a very bad-quality sound with a lot of noise in background...
    >
    > Are you sure that recording and playback use the same default
    > parameters?
    >
    > Tried using arecord and aplay?

    Yes! using arecord-aplay, and tuning its parameters, quality improves a lot!

    thanks... but, can I get the same result using cat?
    I mean.. can I set better quality as default?

    (my /dev/dsp-defaults is 8000fps... very useless!)

  4. Re: recording and noise

    In article <4822bcb0$0$29596$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it>,
    antonio wrote:
    > >> I obtain a very bad-quality sound with a lot of noise in background...

    > > Are you sure that recording and playback use the same default
    > > parameters?
    > >
    > > Tried using arecord and aplay?

    > Yes! using arecord-aplay, and tuning its parameters, quality improves a lot!
    >
    > thanks... but, can I get the same result using cat?
    > I mean.. can I set better quality as default?
    >
    > (my /dev/dsp-defaults is 8000fps... very useless!)

    Might be modprobe-time (check /etc/modprobe.d/*) or compile-time setting
    (check /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/.config) settings. Dunno, never
    tried to do that.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad

+ Reply to Thread