Canon PowerShot A470 - Hardware

This is a discussion on Canon PowerShot A470 - Hardware ; Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does work. ...

  1. Canon PowerShot A470

    Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person
    asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does
    anyone know for sure if this camera works with Linux? If so, what
    versions of kernel and/or gPhoto2 does it work with, if that's a useful
    question.

    Thanks much....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On 2008-05-01, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    > should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    > work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does

    Hmmm... I looked at DigiKam, which also uses gphoto2 libs,and it's not
    listed. Canon is kinda weird, as it requires a software interface for most
    of its cameras. Since yours is not listed in a couple prominent linux apps,
    you might just check and see if you can mount your camera as a USB storage
    device, like a USB flash drive. With some cameras, you can. Then, you
    could just manually dwnld the jpg files.

    nb

  3. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On 01 May 2008 15:08:14 GMT, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person
    > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    > should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    > work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does
    > anyone know for sure if this camera works with Linux?

    I suggest following up the following thread:

    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?
    msg_id=b29654620804032134q55b0e0e3g4f44fc1c95bfc55 b%40mail.gmail.com

    Contact the person who was apparently unable to get it to work and see
    whether he managed to get it working. With PTP cameras, I've found that
    accessing it as root is sometimes the only way because of the way some
    distributions set up udev rules.

    Bob T.

  4. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2008-05-01, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    > > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    > > should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    > > work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does

    > Hmmm... I looked at DigiKam, which also uses gphoto2 libs,and it's not
    > listed. Canon is kinda weird, as it requires a software interface for most
    > of its cameras. Since yours is not listed in a couple prominent linux apps,
    > you might just check and see if you can mount your camera as a USB storage
    > device, like a USB flash drive. With some cameras, you can. Then, you
    > could just manually dwnld the jpg files.

    Yes, with my Olympus camera I transfer files over USB, and that works
    just fine.

    My wife wants to buy a Canon PowerShot A470, and I want to make sure it
    works with Linux *before* we buy it. So, I can't really check to see if
    it shows up on USB or not. I'm hoping that someone out there has one
    and can tell me that it works fine, or doesn't work.

    Thanks.....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  5. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:08:14 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person
    > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    > should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    > work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does
    > anyone know for sure if this camera works with Linux? If so, what
    > versions of kernel and/or gPhoto2 does it work with, if that's a useful
    > question.
    >
    > Thanks much....

    1) Canon is legendary for their LACK of Linux support. For that reason, I
    eschew everything Canon.

    2) most recent cameras appear as mass storage devices when plugged into a
    USB port with any modern Linux. It should work fine.

    3) if it does not all you need is an inexpensive USB card reader - see
    crucial.com for examples. I recommend getting one anyway - it frees up the
    camera so you don't run the batteries down transferring images, and they
    are faster - particularly if the camera is only USB 1.1.

  6. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On 1 May 2008 18:51:10 GMT, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:08:14 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    >> Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person
    >> asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    >> should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    >> work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does
    >> anyone know for sure if this camera works with Linux? If so, what
    >> versions of kernel and/or gPhoto2 does it work with, if that's a useful
    >> question.

    > 1) Canon is legendary for their LACK of Linux support. For that reason, I
    > eschew everything Canon.
    >
    > 2) most recent cameras appear as mass storage devices when plugged into a
    > USB port with any modern Linux. It should work fine.

    Look at the list of Canon PowerShot cameras currently supported by
    gphoto:

    http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

    Canon's lack of support isn't relevant. Although the A470 isn't on the
    list, this is almost certainly because the developers haven't been able
    to test it yet. I would say the chances that gphoto won't support the
    A470 very soon if not immediately are vanishingly small.

    Bob T.

  7. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:28:25 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > notbob wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-01, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >>
    >> > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that
    >> > it should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it
    >> > actually does work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported
    >> > cameras yet. Does

    >> Hmmm... I looked at DigiKam, which also uses gphoto2 libs,and it's not
    >> listed. Canon is kinda weird, as it requires a software interface for
    >> most of its cameras. Since yours is not listed in a couple prominent
    >> linux apps, you might just check and see if you can mount your camera
    >> as a USB storage device, like a USB flash drive. With some cameras,
    >> you can. Then, you could just manually dwnld the jpg files.

    > Yes, with my Olympus camera I transfer files over USB, and that works
    > just fine.
    >
    > My wife wants to buy a Canon PowerShot A470, and I want to make sure it
    > works with Linux *before* we buy it. So, I can't really check to see if
    > it shows up on USB or not. I'm hoping that someone out there has one
    > and can tell me that it works fine, or doesn't work.
    >
    > Thanks.....

    My Canon Powershot SD500 works with gphoto but I stopped using gphoto
    because it wasn't stable. I just plug the SD card into my SD card reader,
    it's much faster and it's completely stable. I wouldn't worry about
    compatibility, just get the camera you want. Cameras all use either SD or
    Compact FLASH cards which are standard and are fully supported. The USB
    cable on my Canon is behind a crappy rubber door that is held on by a
    tiny band. If I were to use it on any sort of regular basis that band
    would break, popping out the SD card is much more reliable so I would do
    it that way even if the USB connection on the Powershot were as fast as
    my SD card reader.

  8. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On 2008-05-01, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > My Canon Powershot SD500 works with gphoto but I stopped using gphoto
    > because it wasn't stable. I just plug the SD card into my SD card reader,

    I use gphotofs with my Nikon Coolpix, and it works great. I use my own
    scripts to quickly download and edit photographs with xv.

    > it's much faster and it's completely stable. I wouldn't worry about
    > compatibility, just get the camera you want. Cameras all use either SD or
    > Compact FLASH cards which are standard and are fully supported. The USB
    > cable on my Canon is behind a crappy rubber door that is held on by a
    > tiny band. If I were to use it on any sort of regular basis that band
    > would break, popping out the SD card is much more reliable so I would do
    > it that way even if the USB connection on the Powershot were as fast as
    > my SD card reader.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:05:36 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:

    > On 2008-05-01, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> My Canon Powershot SD500 works with gphoto but I stopped using gphoto
    >> because it wasn't stable. I just plug the SD card into my SD card
    >> reader,

    > I use gphotofs with my Nikon Coolpix, and it works great. I use my own
    > scripts to quickly download and edit photographs with xv.

    It's been a long time since I've used gphoto, probably Fedora Core 6, it
    could even have been Fedora Core 5. At the time gphoto could crash my
    system, it's the only thing that I've ever seen that could cause a kernel
    crash. However it's been so long since I've used it that I'm sure the
    fatal bugs have been fixed by now. Even so I find card readers so
    convenient that I haven't been tempted to try gphoto again.

  10. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    On 2008-05-01, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:05:36 -0500, Ignoramus3962 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-01, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >>> My Canon Powershot SD500 works with gphoto but I stopped using gphoto
    >>> because it wasn't stable. I just plug the SD card into my SD card
    >>> reader,

    >> I use gphotofs with my Nikon Coolpix, and it works great. I use my own
    >> scripts to quickly download and edit photographs with xv.

    > It's been a long time since I've used gphoto, probably Fedora Core 6, it
    > could even have been Fedora Core 5. At the time gphoto could crash my
    > system, it's the only thing that I've ever seen that could cause a kernel
    > crash. However it's been so long since I've used it that I'm sure the
    > fatal bugs have been fixed by now. Even so I find card readers so
    > convenient that I haven't been tempted to try gphoto again.

    It works OK for me. I find it more convenient not to take the card out
    of the camera.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    I have the canon powershot A75 and it works. Via gphoto2 or just
    extracting the card and using a card reader. I generally used the card
    reader, since using the tether drains like 90x's more battery power than
    just taking pictures.

    And my A75 no longer works and has always been a PITA. Left it in the car
    overnight, tried using it while still slightly chilled and the zoom
    stopped working. A few months later and the zoom would work sometimes.
    Oddly enough when I was traveling and in a bigger metropolis the zoom
    worked. But if I formatted the CF card, it'd stop working. And now about
    three years later something else is whacky on it. It'll take pictures, but
    for some reason all that the camera part sees anymore is sort of a black
    screen with lots of random static. Banged it around some and got it to
    take actual pictures for a bit, but now nothing but static. Complete junk,
    worthless IMO.

    I now have a Sony Cybershot, and love it. Came with a special rechargeable
    battery that lasts forever. Got a $59 2GB memory stick for it, which you
    pretty much have too. Since with it's onboard 54MB of memory, you can
    only take about 15 pictures per download. But with 2GB of space, I can
    even take movies (25 fps) with audio. Connects via usb-storage, but you
    have to select that mode from the cameras menu. Not saying that it's the
    worlds greatest camera, just noticeably better than any canon I've owned.
    I also owned a Canon printer (MPC-5000), and it's linux status is
    PAPERWEIGHT. Canon didn't even bother making Windows XP or better
    drivers for it.

  12. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote in
    news:slrng1jn8j.j7r.nobody@lwe128481.central.tektr onix.net:

    > Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person
    > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    > should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    > work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does
    > anyone know for sure if this camera works with Linux? If so, what
    > versions of kernel and/or gPhoto2 does it work with, if that's a useful
    > question.
    >
    > Thanks much....

    Both my wife's A510 and my 40D work. The 40D as a PTP and the A510 are
    either plain USB or PTP. I tend to just use my card reader for the A510
    but plug the 40D in on USB. Sometimes Linux reports it can't see the 40D
    but click retry a few times and it works.

  13. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    Tweetie Pooh wrote:
    > nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote in
    > news:slrng1jn8j.j7r.nobody@lwe128481.central.tektr onix.net:
    >
    > > Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one person
    > > asked when it will work with Linux, and another person responded that it
    > > should work already. But, nowhere can I find info that it actually does
    > > work. It's not in the gPhoto2 list of supported cameras yet. Does
    > > anyone know for sure if this camera works with Linux? If so, what
    > > versions of kernel and/or gPhoto2 does it work with, if that's a useful
    > > question.

    > Both my wife's A510 and my 40D work. The 40D as a PTP and the A510 are
    > either plain USB or PTP. I tend to just use my card reader for the A510
    > but plug the 40D in on USB. Sometimes Linux reports it can't see the 40D
    > but click retry a few times and it works.

    What's "PTP"?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  14. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > What's "PTP"?

    Picture Transfer Protocol

    This protocol also allows (if the camera supports it), to remote
    control the camera over USB. This is e.g. usefull if you want to
    setup a high resolution webcam, taking a picture every 10s or
    so.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  15. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    Kevin the Drummer staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Tweetie Pooh wrote:
    >> (Kevin the Drummer) wrote in
    >>> Searching for info on the Canon PowerShot A470 camera I found one
    >>> person asked when it will work with Linux

    >> Both my wife's A510 and my 40D work. The 40D as a PTP and the A510
    >> are either plain USB or PTP. I tend to just use my card reader for
    >> the A510 but plug the 40D in on USB.

    > What's "PTP"?

    I believe it stands for "Picture Transport Protocol". The camera
    manufacturers decided that cameras acting as Mass Storage Devices wasn't
    enough, because there's no way to convey the message "take a picture
    now" or "change aperture and shutter speed" using that protocol. So
    they invented a new protocol, with hundreds of variants depending on
    camera model and how much crack the firmware developers were smoking
    that day. While it works for many cameras, the thing that always works
    is as another poster has said: Get a card reader and use it on the
    camera's memory card.

    --
    "Bother," said Pooh. "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
    phasers on the Heffalump; Piglet, meet me in transporter room three."

  16. Re: Canon PowerShot A470

    For what it's worth, I tried our new camera on our desktop computer
    running Mandriva 2007.0. digiKam found a camera, but couldn't operate
    it. 'lsusb' produced this

    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04a9:317a Canon, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    I never did get it to work.

    I tried the new camera on an HP laptop running Mandriva 2008.1 (aka
    Mandriva 2008 Spring). digiKam again found the camera, but this time
    everything works fine. It looks like a modern version of the operating
    system combined with a modern version of digiKam is fine. I'm not sure
    how modern the Linux software needs to be.

    FYI.....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.