Intel PRO/1000 network adapter - Hardware

This is a discussion on Intel PRO/1000 network adapter - Hardware ; Dear All, I have an intel gigabit ethernet card. When I install it on windows 2000, I can click on network connections select the card and change stuff like jumbo frames, "Receive descriptors" and "Interupt Moderate Rate". Now I have ...

  1. Intel PRO/1000 network adapter

    Dear All,
    I have an intel gigabit ethernet card. When I install it on windows
    2000, I can click on network connections select the card and change
    stuff like jumbo frames, "Receive descriptors" and "Interupt Moderate
    Rate". Now I have also a linux machine, debian 4.0 and kernal 2.6.
    When I plug in the card it seems that there are debian drivers already
    that comes along with debian. I can then set it to jumbo frames by
    setting the mtu value. But I have no clue how I should set the
    "receive descriptors" and "Interupt Moderate Rate" value in linux. I
    have had a look at the intel site and saw some drivers there too. I am
    a bit confused actually. Does it mean that I need the intel drivers
    for linux in order to set all these special features ? Or does the
    driver that comes along with the debian installation CD includes these
    features. I am quite new in linux, so I have no clue what I am suppose
    to do. The only thing I know to do in linux is by using ifconfig. How
    can I check if I need to specifically install the intel drivers ? How
    do I check if I can set the "special" feature using the driver that
    comes along with debian. How do I chekc what driver is it used and
    what funcitonalities can be set ? Please help me out as I need to set
    those features.
    Thanks in advance for helping me out.
    RR

  2. Re: Intel PRO/1000 network adapter

    "wongjoekmeu@yahoo.com" wrote:
    > I have an intel gigabit ethernet card.

    I guess you are using the e1000 driver then?

    > When I plug in the card it seems that there are debian drivers already
    > that comes along with debian.

    Yes almost all network cards are supported out of the box from the Linux
    kernel sources. Debian like most distributions build the network drivers
    as modules which get loaded at demand when matching hardware is found.

    > I have had a look at the intel site and saw some drivers there too. I am
    > a bit confused actually. Does it mean that I need the intel drivers for
    > linux in order to set all these special features ?

    Probably not. The e1000 driver in the Linux kernel seems to be written by
    intel and released with the GPL license. From e1000.h:

    -8<--------------------------------------- Copyright(c) 1999 - 2003 Intel
    Corporation. All rights reserved. ...
    -8<---------------------------------------

    The driver included in debian is probably the one from the Linux kernel.
    If you download another driver from Linux you might get another version.
    Maybe you will get a newer version, maybe you will get a version that
    doesn't work fine with your kernel. In short, don't try to fix anything
    that isn't broken!

    > Or does the driver that comes along with the debian installation CD
    > includes these features.

    The driver does have a lot of features. You can see which features witht
    the command:

    modinfo -p e1000

    Or to see some more information, only:

    modinfo e1000

    You will find even more documentation about how to use these parameters
    at http://downloadmirror.intel.com/11960/ENG/e1000.htm

    However, before reading the chapter about building and installation on
    that page, please think twice if you really need to or want to replace
    your working driver. The chapter about additional configurations probably
    applies also to your current driver.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread