AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets - Hardware

This is a discussion on AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets - Hardware ; Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade my Linux workstation on a budget, and am having trouble deciding between a couple of AM-socket motherboards: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX for $100 GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ...

  1. AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets

    Hi all,
    I'm trying to upgrade my Linux workstation on a budget, and am having
    trouble deciding between a couple of AM-socket motherboards:

    GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX for $100

    GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX for $50

    Basically, the difference is between the 780G and 690G chipsets...
    they both have DVI/VGA/HDMI, they both have enough SATA ports, they
    both have Firewire, and they both have 4 DDR2 slots.

    The cheaper board supports DDR2 800, while the more expensive one
    supports DDR2 1066. The more expensive one also has eSATA, which I've
    never used, but which sounds kind of handy. The main differences are
    in graphics and processor compatibility, though. The 780G chipset
    supports AM2+ processors for future compatibility. I don't do any
    gaming besides board games and old console emulators, so pretty much
    any onboard graphics is fine with me, but I would like to have HD
    video acceleration.

    Has anyone used both 780G and 690G-based boards? Are the improved
    graphics and eSATA worth it? How is Linux compatibility? I hear that
    some of the features of the fancier onboard graphics aren't supported
    under Linux yet. Are there any other performance differences I should
    be aware of?

    Thanks for any advice!
    Dan

  2. Re: AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets

    Dan Lenski wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'm trying to upgrade my Linux workstation on a budget, and am having
    > trouble deciding between a couple of AM-socket motherboards:
    >
    > GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX for $100
    >
    > GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX for $50
    >
    > Basically, the difference is between the 780G and 690G chipsets...
    > they both have DVI/VGA/HDMI, they both have enough SATA ports, they
    > both have Firewire, and they both have 4 DDR2 slots.
    >
    > The cheaper board supports DDR2 800, while the more expensive one
    > supports DDR2 1066. The more expensive one also has eSATA,

    esata is good only if you have an external hard drive with an esata
    connection. I use one transfer rate is much better than usb

    my advice go for the more expensive one if you play dvds through pc and have
    an amp that supports HDMI or a lcd screen with hdmi you will benifit.

    it all boils down to what you use the pc for

  3. Re: AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:14:07 +0100, darklight wrote:
    > esata is good only if you have an external hard drive with an esata
    > connection. I use one transfer rate is much better than usb

    Yeah, I don't have one yet, but I was thinking it'd be a nice thing to
    have. It is annoying that eSATA is unpowered though... the main thing I
    like about 2.5" USB drives is you don't need a power brick with your
    enclosure. Maybe I should hold out until they come out with a powered
    version of eSATA... is this on the horizon?

    > my advice go for the more expensive one if you play dvds through pc and
    > have an amp that supports HDMI or a lcd screen with hdmi you will
    > benifit.

    Is the HDMI support of the cheaper 690G model inferior?

    > it all boils down to what you use the pc for

    Office tasks, email & web, software development, and light-use web
    serving. :-)

    Dan

  4. Re: AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets

    Dan Lenski wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:14:07 +0100, darklight wrote:
    >> esata is good only if you have an external hard drive with an esata
    >> connection. I use one transfer rate is much better than usb

    > Yeah, I don't have one yet, but I was thinking it'd be a nice thing to
    > have. It is annoying that eSATA is unpowered though... the main thing I
    > like about 2.5" USB drives is you don't need a power brick with your
    > enclosure. Maybe I should hold out until they come out with a powered
    > version of eSATA... is this on the horizon?

    In my view if your external hard drive is not being moved from place to
    place it is a good thing that the external hard drive has it's own power
    supply, as it won't put any extra stress on the psu the transfer rate with
    esata is far suppeirer to that of a usb i get transfer rates of about 50 to
    60 mbs.

    >> my advice go for the more expensive one if you play dvds through pc and
    >> have an amp that supports HDMI or a lcd screen with hdmi you will
    >> benifit.

    > Is the HDMI support of the cheaper 690G model inferior?

    that i would not know?

    >> it all boils down to what you use the pc for

    > Office tasks, email & web, software development, and light-use web
    > serving. :-)
    >
    > Dan

  5. Re: AMD 780G vs. 690G chipsets

    Eternal September
    Read this short paragraph on the Eternal September. Its relevance to the current lamer problem is historical in that when AOL dropped their Usenet connection in 2005 its members were emailed with the recommendation that they become Google Groupers.

+ Reply to Thread