Fujitsu-Siemens CELSIUS W360 and Linux setup problem - a solution - Hardware

This is a discussion on Fujitsu-Siemens CELSIUS W360 and Linux setup problem - a solution - Hardware ; We got some FSC W360 were no distro, even the more recent as FC9, were able to install. All failed with odd errors, FC8 with some python script error. I then used a Fedora Core 8 DVD to debug the ...

  1. Fujitsu-Siemens CELSIUS W360 and Linux setup problem - a solution

    We got some FSC W360 were no distro, even the more recent as FC9, were
    able to install. All failed with odd errors, FC8 with some python
    script error.

    I then used a Fedora Core 8 DVD to debug the problem, using the TEST
    option after booting from this FC8 DVD and noticed the test failed.
    Ah! but no, the DVD PASSed the test on other PC. Ah! then it could be
    the DVD unit, so the DVD unit were the test passed OK was inserted
    into the W360 and again it failed. So it was the PC the problem, maybe
    a SATA0 compatibility or not issue on the BIOS.

    Even more strange one of the Fujitsu-Siemens W360 accepted the setup
    and was TESTings the DVD media without any error, the exact same model
    of the one (many) with the problems. The hardware were the same on ALL
    and so it come to the next step back: checking the BIOS version.

    The one who PASS'ed the DVD tests had a BIOS 6.00 R 1.03.2587.A1
    version and the test machine with all kind of errors had the BIOS 6.00
    R. 1.05.2587.A1 - bingo! so it was a BIOS issue. The OLDER version was
    OK.
    On the support page at
    http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/c...LNG=EN&ID=3271
    the BIOS version available is BIOS 6.00 R 1.11.2587.A1 so after
    downloading the
    Flash BIOS Update - Floppy Boot Disk and making a Floppy I inserted it
    on... there was no floppy unit : - >
    thereis however a floppy connection on the mainboard, and I had a USB
    floppy unit, so after activating the BIOS option Advanced / Peripheral
    Configuration / USB Devices: All and pressing F12 at boot, it was
    possible to boot and apply the Flash BIOS Update to R 1.11, and all
    was solved and working.

    DVD Linux TEST PASS, and all.

    Lesson1: always test the DVD even if it PASSed on other PC, at least
    if there is a problem

    Lesson2: always note the BIOS version

  2. Re: Fujitsu-Siemens CELSIUS W360 and Linux setup problem - a solution

    BIOS 6.00 R 1.11.2587.A1 has problems also with these Fujitsu-Siemens
    W360: besides the Fedora Core 8 DVD media pass the cdcheck test, it
    goes wrong during installation; it complains about not be able to read
    or install some packed, and there is nothing wrong with the DVD or the
    packet by sure. This W360 2587.A1 model has issues with the BIOS
    versions one chooses and Linux setup. Even the R 1.03 does not work on
    some.

    I must recommend BIOS 6.00 R 1.08.2587.A1
    it also pass the cdcheck test of DVD media, and install everything up
    to the end without any error, except the very last bit:

    No kernel packages were installed on your system
    Your boot loader configuration will not be changed

    and the next time you boot the system, it will complain there is no
    system.

    This is a FC8 problem, and the solution is bellow:

    boot again with the Fedora Core 8 DVD and enter the option "rescue
    installed system"
    you do not need to setup network for this, and please use the
    [continue] option next
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    cd boot
    ln -s vmlinuz[tab] vmlinuz
    ln -s initrd[tab] initrd.img
    cd grub
    vi grub.conf (creates file)

    default=0
    timeout=5
    title=FC8
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
    initrd /boot/initr.img

    [esc x] (save file)

    grub-install hd0

    [ctrl-alt-del] and remove DVD

    the line with "kernel" must be adapted to your case;
    in this case I used just two partitions, the first / and the second
    swap;
    the line grub-install is always "hd0"

    for quiet boot without the nice [OK] use the line
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 rhgb quiet

+ Reply to Thread