sse3 or not sse3 - Hardware

This is a discussion on sse3 or not sse3 - Hardware ; Hello- I have an Acer ASE380-UD440A.. I am sorting out the AMD processors online mostly via the WIkipedia article.. I am pretty sure I have this Brisbane http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103213 the wikipedia article and others say I have sse3 on this chip.. ...

  1. sse3 or not sse3

    Hello- I have an Acer ASE380-UD440A.. I am sorting out the AMD
    processors online mostly via the WIkipedia article.. I am pretty sure
    I have this Brisbane

    the wikipedia article and others say I have sse3 on this chip.. BUT
    here is /proc/cpuinfo
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht sys call nx mmxext
    fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
    extapic cr8_legacy misalignsse

    What is the real story? I am keen on sse3 (more on that later)
    thanks
    -Brian

  2. Re: sse3 or not sse3

    In article <958ed703-c05c-417d-94f3-5e95229b2dcf@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    darkblueB wrote:
    > Hello- I have an Acer ASE380-UD440A.. I am sorting out the AMD
    > processors online mostly via the WIkipedia article.. I am pretty sure
    > I have this Brisbane
    >
    > the wikipedia article and others say I have sse3 on this chip.. BUT
    > here is /proc/cpuinfo
    > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht sys call nx mmxext
    > fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
    > extapic cr8_legacy misalignsse
    >
    > What is the real story? I am keen on sse3 (more on that later)

    I don't have it on this A64x2:
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 75
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+

    Does "Brisbane" refer to the core (like "Barton") and not to the family
    (like "Athlon")? If so, I don't know what this is. Hang on, here's the
    box ... nope, doesn't say.

    --
    "The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
    twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals

  3. Re: sse3 or not sse3

    darkblueB writes:

    > Hello- I have an Acer ASE380-UD440A.. I am sorting out the AMD
    > processors online mostly via the WIkipedia article.. I am pretty sure
    > I have this Brisbane
    >
    > the wikipedia article and others say I have sse3 on this chip.. BUT
    > here is /proc/cpuinfo
    > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht sys call nx mmxext
    > fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
    > extapic cr8_legacy misalignsse
    >
    > What is the real story? I am keen on sse3 (more on that later)

    Isn't pni an alias for sse3? I know my Core2 has sse3, and
    /proc/cpuinfo doesn't mention sse3 here either.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  4. Re: sse3 or not sse3

    On Apr 24, 1:41*am, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > > What is the real story? *I am keen on sse3 (more on that later)

    > Isn't pni an alias for sse3? *I know my Core2 has sse3, and
    > /proc/cpuinfo doesn't mention sse3 here either.

    aha!
    thats what I was looking for.. it seems that is true - a quick Google
    search returns some good looking results.
    Thanks! (very confusing)

    also - yes, Brisbane is the core.. Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is the name of
    the chip I believe, but the name 4400+ is repeated at least 4
    times !! (very confusing)
    see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

  5. Re: sse3 or not sse3

    scott@alfter.DIESPAMMERSDIE.us (Scott Alfter) writes:

    > In article <958ed703-c05c-417d-94f3-5e95229b2dcf@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    > darkblueB wrote:
    >>Hello- I have an Acer ASE380-UD440A.. I am sorting out the AMD
    >>processors online mostly via the WIkipedia article.. I am pretty sure
    >>I have this Brisbane
    >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103213
    >>
    >>the wikipedia article and others say I have sse3 on this chip.. BUT
    >>here is /proc/cpuinfo
    >>flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    >>mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht sys call nx mmxext
    >>fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
    >>extapic cr8_legacy misalignsse ^^^

    > ###
    >
    > PNI == SSE3. (Why it doesn't just say "sse3" instead of "pni," I don't
    > know.)

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/3/86 says:

    PNI (Prescott New Instructions) was the original engineering code
    name. Unfortunately it was added too early before the marketing name
    was known and then it couldn't be changed anymore.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

+ Reply to Thread