CD player replacement - Hardware

This is a discussion on CD player replacement - Hardware ; I got pissed off at my CD player (a carousel unit that's gotta be a teenager by now) as it (1) is full, (2) is NOT expandable, and (3) forgot all the disc titles. So, I'm on a mission to ...

  1. CD player replacement

    I got pissed off at my CD player (a carousel unit that's gotta be a
    teenager by now) as it (1) is full, (2) is NOT expandable, and (3)
    forgot all the disc titles. So, I'm on a mission to build an
    ultra-quiet MP3-playing computer. I've chosen:

    case (mini-ITX, fanless, black):
    http://www.logicsupply.com/products/gs_l01

    motherboard & CPU (Via Epia ML-8000A, Via C3 @ 800 MHz):
    http://www.jinco.com/shop/index.php?...ducts_id=12848

    RAM (1GB):

    5 16 GB thumb drives to go in a RAID 5 (? 4 * partition + parity) making
    64 GB:

    USB hub:

    4-line LED panel:
    http://www.matrixorbital.com/product...?pName=lk20425

    I'll find a keyboard somewhere. One of these days I'll replace it with
    a CD-style keypad. It'll run Linux, no X. What have I forgotten? How
    should I boot? Would two 4-port hubs be better than one 7-port one, so
    only ~half the drives go through any one port? Is it OK to go for an
    unpowered hub? Has someone already written code to handle these things
    or do I have a lot of scripting and/or coding to do? Thanks all.

    PISCES: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola
    virus. You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those
    idiots at work say. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

  2. Re: CD player replacement

    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > case (mini-ITX, fanless, black):
    > http://www.logicsupply.com/products/gs_l01

    Seems to be a nice box...

    > 5 16 GB thumb drives to go in a RAID 5 (? 4 * partition + parity) making
    > 64 GB:

    Maybe another option would be to boot by PXE network and have root file
    system mounted by NFS? With such a solution you would have a networked
    noisy server in another room.

    > 4-line LED panel:
    > http://www.matrixorbital.com/product...?pName=lk20425

    The LED panels are cheaper than the VFD panels, however VFD panels look
    more exclusive. However, how are you going to fit that panel into the box
    of your choice?

    > I'll find a keyboard somewhere.

    A keyboard might be useful during installation and configuration. For day
    to day operation a remote control might be more convenient.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: CD player replacement

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:08:03 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware,
    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > 5 16 GB thumb drives to go in a RAID 5 (? 4 * partition + parity) making
    > 64 GB:

    I have no idea of the life epectancy of those but I would also look at using 3 x
    2.5" laptop drives instead, also in RAID 5. You can get a 60GB version for
    about $50 - that seems to be the smallest size you can buy at the moment. If you
    went that route you might want to find a different motherboard with SATA ports
    to connect them to.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: CD player replacement

    In article ,
    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:08:03 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware,
    > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    >
    > > 5 16 GB thumb drives to go in a RAID 5 (? 4 * partition + parity) making
    > > 64 GB:

    > I have no idea of the life epectancy of those but I would also look at using 3 x
    > 2.5" laptop drives instead, also in RAID 5. You can get a 60GB version for
    > about $50 - that seems to be the smallest size you can buy at the moment. If you
    > went that route you might want to find a different motherboard with SATA ports
    > to connect them to.

    Dunno... I'm trying to agoid anything that creates even a small amount
    of noise. This will be in my bedroom, after all. I think I'm going to
    go for having it boot and mount its filesystems over the LAN, from this
    machine which is up 24/7. Yeah, that ties its operation to the router
    and my machine.

    Maybe a hybrid, with some 2.5" drives hanging off a USB cable in the
    closet?

    Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
    would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
    -- Oliver Cromwell

  5. Re: CD player replacement

    Trevor Hemsley :
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:08:03 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware,
    > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    >
    > > 5 16 GB thumb drives to go in a RAID 5 (? 4 * partition + parity) making
    > > 64 GB:

    > I have no idea of the life epectancy of those but I would also look at using 3 x
    > 2.5" laptop drives instead, also in RAID 5. You can get a 60GB version for
    > about $50

    Man, what a golden age this is. A silent 60 Gb server in the size of
    a toaster slot. Not screaming performance perhaps, but still
    impressive. Stick ten of 'em together and build a slow Beowulf.

    :-) Love learning about these ITX & Sokris-ish things.

  6. Re: CD player replacement

    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >> Maybe another option would be to boot by PXE network

    > Possibly. Where the stereo cabinet is, there's not a reasonable way to
    > use wired LAN, so it'd have to be wireless.

    To use PXE network boot your network card must have BIOS making it capable
    to boot. Some network cards have a socket for placing a PROM with such a
    BIOS. Many motherboards with builtin NICs also have such a BIOS which can
    be enabled in the CMOS setup.

    However, wireless network is a little bit more complex than wired lan. I
    don't know if there are any wireless cards which it is possible to boot
    from.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  7. Re: CD player replacement

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    >
    >> Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >>> Maybe another option would be to boot by PXE network

    >> Possibly. Where the stereo cabinet is, there's not a reasonable way to
    >> use wired LAN, so it'd have to be wireless.

    > To use PXE network boot your network card must have BIOS making it capable
    > to boot. Some network cards have a socket for placing a PROM with such a
    > BIOS. Many motherboards with builtin NICs also have such a BIOS which can
    > be enabled in the CMOS setup.
    >
    > However, wireless network is a little bit more complex than wired lan. I
    > don't know if there are any wireless cards which it is possible to boot
    > from.

    It might also possible to find a boot floppy or cdrom that has the right
    drivers to PXE boot from.

    You can also use an external wireless bridge attached to a wired NIC in
    order to get PXE boot to work.

    --
    Jon Biggar
    Floorboard Software

  8. Re: CD player replacement

    In article ,
    Jonathan Biggar wrote:
    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > >> Possibly. Where the stereo cabinet is, there's not a reasonable way to
    > >> use wired LAN, so it'd have to be wireless.

    > > To use PXE network boot your network card must have BIOS making it capable
    > > to boot. Some network cards have a socket for placing a PROM with such a
    > > BIOS. Many motherboards with builtin NICs also have such a BIOS which can
    > > be enabled in the CMOS setup.
    > >
    > > However, wireless network is a little bit more complex than wired lan. I
    > > don't know if there are any wireless cards which it is possible to boot
    > > from.

    > It might also possible to find a boot floppy or cdrom that has the right
    > drivers to PXE boot from.

    Might. What would be more flexble is to boot from a custom CD-R (which
    I configure on my other machine) that does the thing LiveCDs do
    (whatever that is) to make / on a RAMdisk. Or maybe a USB thumb drive.
    Or maybe an IDE-CF adapter, if it won't boot from USB.

    > You can also use an external wireless bridge attached to a wired NIC in
    > order to get PXE boot to work.

    That would work? Cool. How would I configure the bridge for the right
    SSID/password to use?

    If you need someone to blame
    Throw a rock in the air
    You'll hit someone guilty -- U2, _Zooropa_, "Dirty Day"

  9. Re: CD player replacement

    Hactar wrote:
    >> You can also use an external wireless bridge attached to a wired NIC in
    >> order to get PXE boot to work.

    > That would work? Cool. How would I configure the bridge for the right
    > SSID/password to use?

    Sure. Wireless bridges that you can buy have a built in web-server
    which you can use to set the wireless network and encryption parameters.
    Usually you just hook it directly up to a computer, connect your
    browser to 192.168.1.1 and go from there.

    I use a Belkin 802.11g wireless bridge to connect my TiVo with the rest
    of my network.

    --
    Jon Biggar
    Floorboard Software

  10. Re: CD player replacement

    On 23 Apr, 07:10, Henrik Carlqvist
    wrote:

    > To use PXE network boot your network card must have BIOS making it capable
    > to boot. Some network cards have a socket for placing a PROM with such a
    > BIOS. Many motherboards with builtin NICs also have such a BIOS which can
    > be enabled in the CMOS setup.
    >
    > However, wireless network is a little bit more complex than wired lan. I
    > don't know if there are any wireless cards which it is possible to boot
    > from.

    I have done both of these with the Epia motherboard. The board is now
    at a friends house, and he boots DSL from a SD card in an IDE adaptor
    instead. I've used a CF adaptor similarly.

    I overcame the problem of setting up a wireless network card by using
    a different wireless solution:
    http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...10&modelmenu=1
    used not in access point but in ethernet adaptor mode. You set it up
    with a web browswer so it knows the SSID and WEP key, and it remembers
    those. The mother board thinks it is on wired ethernet, and knows no
    better.

    At one time I had a tower of epia motherboards. One had a hard disk
    and booted suse 8.3, and the others PXE booted from it and loaded a
    ramdisk using tftp. Then /bin /usr /tmp etc etc (including, of
    course, /etc) were NFS mounted. They all shared the same ones except /
    tmp and /etc. It was a sort of compute engine for seti. Long gone,
    of course. Wired ethernet, that one, with a switch in the tower too.
    At the top, so the leds made it colourful. Gave it to a local school,
    but the technology teacher left and the replacement chap didn't
    understand it at all.

+ Reply to Thread