power requirements of OSB flash drives - Hardware

This is a discussion on power requirements of OSB flash drives - Hardware ; So I'm shopping for parts for an MP3-playing computer, to replace my 200-CD carousel (that just forgot all the titles to my CDs). I quickly realized SSDs are crazy expensive, and provide performance I just don't need. (I sleep in ...

  1. power requirements of OSB flash drives

    So I'm shopping for parts for an MP3-playing computer, to replace my
    200-CD carousel (that just forgot all the titles to my CDs). I quickly
    realized SSDs are crazy expensive, and provide performance I just don't
    need. (I sleep in there, so silence is paramount; heat is important too,
    as the case is fanless.) So I decided to go with thumb drives. One won't
    cut it because of size and reliability, so I figured I'd get five 16 GiB
    thumb drives and use software RAID 5 (? N drives + parity) to turn them
    into a ~64 GiB volume.

    (1) How to boot? Slap stuff on a CD, and do what LiveCDs do to have the
    boot disk unmounted? What is that, anyhow? Use another thumb drive
    and make sure it stays mounted ro?

    (2) I was reading a user comment at newegg, and he said regarding a hub:
    "If you plan to plug in anything that needs power from the usb port,
    (...flash drive...) don't bother. This cant provide enough power to do
    any of it." Now here, I've never had problems running a flash drive
    from an unpowered hub. Then again, I've never tried to run five of
    them. I realize they have to have _some_ power. So how much power
    do flash drives use actually? 10 mW? I'm looking specifically at
    The technical information says only that it's "USB powered".

    Drive nail here > < for new monitor.

  2. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    On Apr 20, 6:08*pm, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > So I'm shopping for parts for an MP3-playing computer, to replace my
    > 200-CD carousel (that just forgot all the titles to my CDs). *I quickly
    > realized SSDs are crazy expensive, and provide performance I just don't
    > need. *(I sleep in there, so silence is paramount; heat is important too,
    > as the case is fanless.) *So I decided to go with thumb drives. *One won't
    > cut it because of size and reliability, so I figured I'd get five 16 GiB
    > thumb drives and use software RAID 5 (? N drives + parity) to turn them
    > into a ~64 GiB volume.

    How about this instead? Use 4 CompactFlash cards instead of USB
    drives. The hardware interface of CF is *identical* to ATA/IDE, so
    all you need is a passive mechanical adapter.

    This way you'll eliminate the protocol overhead and annoyances of USB,
    as well as not have a bunch of ugly thumb drives sticking out of the
    computer. You can get CF->IDE adapters for a few bucks, here's one
    that allows you to plug 2 CF cards into one IDE channel for $4
    shipped:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOTABLE-DUAL-ID...ad44midecf.asp

    So, get 2 of these adapter ($8) and 4 16gb CF cards (about $280 if you
    go for the best deals). And then you have a flexible, RAID-able 64gb
    SSD. Of course, at this point you've basically reinvented the SSD,
    except that yours will be pretty slow unless you go for the fast and
    pricey CF cards...

    Dan

  3. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article ,
    Dan Lenski wrote:
    > On Apr 20, 6:08 pm, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > > So I'm shopping for parts for an MP3-playing computer, to replace my
    > > 200-CD carousel (that just forgot all the titles to my CDs). I quickly
    > > realized SSDs are crazy expensive, and provide performance I just don't
    > > need. (I sleep in there, so silence is paramount; heat is important too,
    > > as the case is fanless.) So I decided to go with thumb drives. One won't
    > > cut it because of size and reliability, so I figured I'd get five 16 GiB
    > > thumb drives and use software RAID 5 (? N drives + parity) to turn them
    > > into a ~64 GiB volume.

    > How about this instead? Use 4 CompactFlash cards instead of USB
    > drives. The hardware interface of CF is *identical* to ATA/IDE, so
    > all you need is a passive mechanical adapter.

    That will do nicely. Or rather, would have done, since I've decided to
    get a hacked Xbox instead. Yeah, not absolutely quiet, but pretty darn
    close, and a whole lot cheaper.

    > This way you'll eliminate the protocol overhead and annoyances of USB,
    > as well as not have a bunch of ugly thumb drives sticking out of the
    > computer. You can get CF->IDE adapters for a few bucks, here's one
    > that allows you to plug 2 CF cards into one IDE channel for $4
    > shipped:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOTABLE-DUAL-ID...ad44midecf.asp

    (For future reference, that URL is the same as
    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ360047295141 )

    Not sure the proposed motherboard has two channels, lemme check... yep,
    it does. Does that adapter take up one 3.5" bay or two? I can't tell.

    > So, get 2 of these adapter ($8) and 4 16gb CF cards (about $280 if you
    > go for the best deals).

    There are 32 GB cards out there. Here's one:

    What's the reliability like on CF cards, assuming you don't write to
    them often? Is it possible to make a RAID array of two devices, so that
    when one goes bad the computer can tell which one it is?

    > And then you have a flexible, RAID-able 64gb
    > SSD. Of course, at this point you've basically reinvented the SSD,
    > except that yours will be pretty slow unless you go for the fast and
    > pricey CF cards...

    Naw, speed's not important in this application. I mean, _glacial_ is
    bad, but anything reasonable is OK.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    "You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
    "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert

  4. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 07:08:02 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > In article
    > , Dan
    > Lenski wrote:
    >> How about this instead? Use 4 CompactFlash cards instead of USB
    >> drives. The hardware interface of CF is *identical* to ATA/IDE, so all
    >> you need is a passive mechanical adapter.

    > That will do nicely. Or rather, would have done, since I've decided to
    > get a hacked Xbox instead. Yeah, not absolutely quiet, but pretty darn
    > close, and a whole lot cheaper.

    That works too :-)

    > (For future reference, that URL is the same as
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ360047295141 )
    >
    > Not sure the proposed motherboard has two channels, lemme check... yep,
    > it does. Does that adapter take up one 3.5" bay or two? I can't tell.

    Actually, those adapters are a *lot* smaller than a drive bay... you can
    even get 2-CF-to-IDE adapters that plug directly into the IDE header, with
    no cable in between.

    >> So, get 2 of these adapter ($8) and 4 16gb CF cards (about $280 if you
    >> go for the best deals).

    > There are 32 GB cards out there. Here's one:

    True, but the GB/$ sweet spot is currently at 8gb or 16gb. Wait a month
    or two and it'll change :-)

    > What's the reliability like on CF cards, assuming you don't write to
    > them often? Is it possible to make a RAID array of two devices, so that
    > when one goes bad the computer can tell which one it is?

    Reliability is good, even with a lot of writing. Wear leveling makes that
    pretty much a non-issue these days, at least in terms of endurance. Wear
    leveling can still cause write /performance/ to suffer.

    Sure, Linux can software-RAID them like practically any other block
    devices. Frankly, if it's just for storing MP3s, I would go with RAID 0
    (striping, no redundancy) for 4X the speed of one card and 4X the
    capacity. But if you consider your data more valuable, RAID 5 is a good
    choice (would give 3X the capacity and 2-3X the speed).

    >> And then you have a flexible, RAID-able 64gb SSD. Of course, at this
    >> point you've basically reinvented the SSD, except that yours will be
    >> pretty slow unless you go for the fast and pricey CF cards...

    > Naw, speed's not important in this application. I mean, _glacial_ is
    > bad, but anything reasonable is OK.

    Eh... cheap CF cards are *really* slow, like <1 MB/s write speed. RAID
    will help, of course.

    Dan

  5. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article ,
    Dan Lenski wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 07:08:02 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ360047295141
    > >
    > > Not sure the proposed motherboard has two channels, lemme check... yep,
    > > it does. Does that adapter take up one 3.5" bay or two? I can't tell.

    > Actually, those adapters are a *lot* smaller than a drive bay... you can
    > even get 2-CF-to-IDE adapters that plug directly into the IDE header, with
    > no cable in between.

    Cool. Even if they're 2-cards-per-3.5"-bay, if the case only has one
    bay and I need four cards, I'm out of luck though. But if they're nice
    and small, maybe I can fit four cards (2xforward + 2xbackward) in one bay...

    > > Is it possible to make a RAID array of two devices, so that
    > > when one goes bad the computer can tell which one it is?

    > Sure, Linux can software-RAID them like practically any other block
    > devices. Frankly, if it's just for storing MP3s, I would go with RAID 0
    > (striping, no redundancy) for 4X the speed of one card and 4X the
    > capacity. But if you consider your data more valuable, RAID 5 is a good
    > choice (would give 3X the capacity and 2-3X the speed).

    Yeah, recompressing 250+ CDs into MP3s would be a real pain, so it'd be
    nice to make the array mostly insensitive to card failure, at the
    expense of speed. I figure 50 GB=~300 CDs gives me some breathing room.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    LEO: Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it

  6. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:08:00 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >> Actually, those adapters are a *lot* smaller than a drive bay... you
    >> can even get 2-CF-to-IDE adapters that plug directly into the IDE
    >> header, with no cable in between.

    > Cool. Even if they're 2-cards-per-3.5"-bay, if the case only has one
    > bay and I need four cards, I'm out of luck though. But if they're nice
    > and small, maybe I can fit four cards (2xforward + 2xbackward) in one
    > bay...

    The specs on the auction show them as being 7x6.3x1.2 cm without cards,
    so it won't be a problem... although may be a little messy with the
    cables, so you might prefer the version that plugs directly into the IDE
    header, if you have the clearance for it:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/
    _W0QQitemZ320248029565QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41993QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    (how do you get the short urls???)

    Also, this is pretty cool, it's a 4-drive IDE controller card that takes
    4 CF cards, in one PCI slot!

    http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...r/ad4cfprj.asp

    >> Sure, Linux can software-RAID them like practically any other block
    >> devices. Frankly, if it's just for storing MP3s, I would go with RAID
    >> 0 (striping, no redundancy) for 4X the speed of one card and 4X the
    >> capacity. But if you consider your data more valuable, RAID 5 is a
    >> good choice (would give 3X the capacity and 2-3X the speed).

    > Yeah, recompressing 250+ CDs into MP3s would be a real pain, so it'd be
    > nice to make the array mostly insensitive to card failure, at the
    > expense of speed. I figure 50 GB=~300 CDs gives me some breathing room.

    Seems reasonable! Four 16gb cards will give you 48gb, would be a pretty
    nice setup.

    Dan

  7. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article ,
    Daniel Lenski wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:08:00 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    > >> Actually, those adapters are a *lot* smaller than a drive bay... you
    > >> can even get 2-CF-to-IDE adapters that plug directly into the IDE
    > >> header, with no cable in between.

    > > Cool. Even if they're 2-cards-per-3.5"-bay, if the case only has one
    > > bay and I need four cards, I'm out of luck though. But if they're nice
    > > and small, maybe I can fit four cards (2xforward + 2xbackward) in one
    > > bay...

    > The specs on the auction show them as being 7x6.3x1.2 cm without cards,
    > so it won't be a problem... although may be a little messy with the
    > cables, so you might prefer the version that plugs directly into the IDE
    > header, if you have the clearance for it:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/
    > _W0QQitemZ320248029565QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41993QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > (how do you get the short urls???)

    Manual trimming. Think a regular multi-argument URL, except s/?/_W0QQ/,
    s/&/QQ/, and s/=/Z/ . You only need _W0QQitemZwhatever, all the
    other args including title can go byebye. This must be a homebrew syntax,
    since TTBOMK nobody else does it that way.

    > Also, this is pretty cool, it's a 4-drive IDE controller card that takes
    > 4 CF cards, in one PCI slot!
    >
    > http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...r/ad4cfprj.asp

    Nifty. Chipset supported by Linux?

    --
    "Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
    only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th

  8. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    Daniel Lenski wrote:

    > (how do you get the short urls???)

    You could try tinyurl.com (free), and for the paranoid, quote the url
    generated as http://preview.tinyurl.com/xxxx

    John McCallum

  9. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article ,
    John McCallum wrote:
    > Daniel Lenski wrote:
    >
    > > (how do you get the short urls???)

    > You could try tinyurl.com (free), and for the paranoid, quote the url
    > generated as http://preview.tinyurl.com/xxxx

    Disadvantage: You can't tell where the link leads before taking it, but
    at least you can tell before going there.

    Advantage: Little work, guaranteed to be short (~31 chars).

    Drive nail here > < for new monitor.

  10. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    On May 6, 12:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > >http://cgi.ebay.com/
    > > _W0QQitemZ320248029565QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41993QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    > > (how do you get the short urls???)

    > Manual trimming. Think a regular multi-argument URL, except s/?/_W0QQ/,
    > s/&/QQ/, and s/=/Z/ . You only need _W0QQitemZwhatever, all the
    > other args including title can go byebye. This must be a homebrew syntax,
    > since TTBOMK nobody else does it that way.

    Wow, that is bizarre! Do they have some good reason to break standard
    CGI parameter passing syntax, or are they just doing it to make their
    URLs needlessly opaque??

    > > Also, this is pretty cool, it's a 4-drive IDE controller card that takes
    > > 4 CF cards, in one PCI slot!

    > >http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...r/ad4cfprj.asp

    > Nifty. Chipset supported by Linux?

    Yeah, the page says it's compatible with Linux 2.4+. Though I don't
    know which driver it uses, and googling didn't come up with much
    unfortunately.

    Dan

  11. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article ,
    Dan Lenski wrote:
    > On May 6, 12:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > > >http://cgi.ebay.com/
    > > >

    > _W0QQitemZ320248029565QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41993QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    > >
    > > > (how do you get the short urls???)

    > > Manual trimming. Think a regular multi-argument URL, except s/?/_W0QQ/,
    > > s/&/QQ/, and s/=/Z/ . You only need _W0QQitemZwhatever, all the
    > > other args including title can go byebye. This must be a homebrew syntax,
    > > since TTBOMK nobody else does it that way.

    > Wow, that is bizarre! Do they have some good reason to break standard
    > CGI parameter passing syntax, or are they just doing it to make their
    > URLs needlessly opaque??

    800-pound gorilla syndrome, methinks. I guess they figure they're big
    enough to make the rules. Or maybe some rogue copro-grammer saw some
    dubious benefit in doing it this way.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    "It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political

  12. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    I demand that Dan Lenski may or may not have written...

    > On May 6, 12:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    [snip]
    >>> Also, this is pretty cool, it's a 4-drive IDE controller card that takes
    >>> 4 CF cards, in one PCI slot!
    >>> http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...r/ad4cfprj.asp

    >> Nifty. Chipset supported by Linux?

    > Yeah, the page says it's compatible with Linux 2.4+. Though I don't know
    > which driver it uses, and googling didn't come up with much unfortunately.

    Addonics "Quad-CF PCI Controller" Linux

    That provided a useful result – look for the mail to the linux-ide list.
    You'll find chipset and driver info there.

    | + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

    You are tricky, but never to the point of dishonesty.

  13. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article <4FA0DEDBC8%news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
    Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Dan Lenski may or may not have written...
    >
    > > On May 6, 12:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > [snip]
    > >> Nifty. Chipset supported by Linux?

    > > Yeah, the page says it's compatible with Linux 2.4+. Though I don't know
    > > which driver it uses, and googling didn't come up with much unfortunately.

    > Addonics "Quad-CF PCI Controller" Linux
    >
    > That provided a useful result – look for the mail to the linux-ide list.
    > You'll find chipset and driver info there.

    Thanks. Just FTR, what's that thing between "result" and "look"
    supposed to be?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    GEMINI: Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive

  14. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    I demand that Hactar may or may not have written...

    > In article <4FA0DEDBC8%news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
    > Darren Salt wrote:
    >> I demand that Dan Lenski may or may not have written...
    >>> On May 6, 12:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    >> [snip]

    [snip]
    >>> I don't know which driver it uses, and googling didn't come up with
    >>> much unfortunately.

    >> Addonics "Quad-CF PCI Controller" Linux
    >> That provided a useful result – look for the mail to the linux-ide list.
    >> You'll find chipset and driver info there.

    > Thanks. Just FTR, what's that thing between "result" and "look"
    > supposed to be?

    An en dash.

    | Let's keep the pound sterling

    Confucius say: He who post large binary, get flamed.

  15. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    On May 6, 8:08*pm, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > In article <4FA0DEDBC8%n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
    > Darren Salt * wrote:
    >

    > > I demand that Dan Lenski may or may not have written...

    > > > On May 6, 12:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > > [snip]

    > > > Yeah, the page says it's compatible with Linux 2.4+. *Though I don'tknow
    > > > which driver it uses, and googling didn't come up with much unfortunately.

    > > Addonics "Quad-CF PCI Controller" Linux

    > > That provided a useful result look for the mail to the linux-ide list.
    > > You'll find chipset and driver info there.

    Well, if you end up going with the CF cards software RAID, please do
    post and let us know how it works out.

    I've only ever used the dual CF adapters myself...

    Dan

  16. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    In article <2cbb8b6e-64cf-4d9d-bad8-e8ae225a9101@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    Dan Lenski wrote:
    > On May 6, 8:08 pm, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > > In article <4FA0DEDBC8%n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
    > > Darren Salt wrote:
    > >
    > > > I demand that Dan Lenski may or may not have written...

    > > > [snip]

    > > > Addonics "Quad-CF PCI Controller" Linux

    > > > That provided a useful result look for the mail to the linux-ide list.
    > > > You'll find chipset and driver info there.

    > Well, if you end up going with the CF cards software RAID, please do
    > post and let us know how it works out.
    >
    > I've only ever used the dual CF adapters myself...

    I'll have to re-evaluate some stuff. This machine needs to be on the
    LAN, and running a wire into my bedroom isn't feasible, so it'd have to
    be wireless. Wifi isn't onboard, so that means a PCI card. Mini-ITX
    boards usually have only one PCI slot, so that means wired-wireless
    adapter (like for a game console). That does spread the heat out more...

    It's a useful gadget, but I've probably solved the problem for now.
    I'll keep it (or one like it) in mind for the next round.

    This message was created using recycled electrons.

  17. Re: power requirements of OSB flash drives

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 01:07:42 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > In article <2cbb8b6e-64cf-4d9d-bad8-e8ae225a9101@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    > Dan Lenski wrote:
    >> On May 6, 8:08 pm, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    >> Well, if you end up going with the CF cards software RAID, please do
    >> post and let us know how it works out.
    >>
    >> I've only ever used the dual CF adapters myself...

    > I'll have to re-evaluate some stuff. This machine needs to be on the
    > LAN, and running a wire into my bedroom isn't feasible, so it'd have to
    > be wireless. Wifi isn't onboard, so that means a PCI card. Mini-ITX
    > boards usually have only one PCI slot, so that means wired-wireless
    > adapter (like for a game console). That does spread the heat out more...
    >
    > It's a useful gadget, but I've probably solved the problem for now.
    > I'll keep it (or one like it) in mind for the next round.

    That's well.

+ Reply to Thread