External drive for libdvdcss ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on External drive for libdvdcss ? - Hardware ; I'm in the market for an external USB2 DVD drive. Can anyone recommend anything cheap that libdvdcss can bypass region protection on? That is, assuming it'd be RPC2 these days, I'd need one that still allowed raw access despite that. ...

  1. External drive for libdvdcss ?

    I'm in the market for an external USB2 DVD drive. Can anyone recommend
    anything cheap that libdvdcss can bypass region protection on? That is,
    assuming it'd be RPC2 these days, I'd need one that still allowed raw
    access despite that. Even just general hints as to which brand-names to
    buy or avoid would be useful. I've learned the hard way to avoid
    Panasonic.

    Mark

  2. Re: External drive for libdvdcss ?

    "Mark T.B. Carroll" writes:

    > I'm in the market for an external USB2 DVD drive. Can anyone recommend
    > anything cheap that libdvdcss can bypass region protection on? That is,
    > assuming it'd be RPC2 these days, I'd need one that still allowed raw
    > access despite that. Even just general hints as to which brand-names to
    > buy or avoid would be useful. I've learned the hard way to avoid
    > Panasonic.

    I ended up with a Lite-On DX-8A1H-05 Lightscribe which reports itself as
    a DS8A1H. It seems at initial experimentation that the Windows utility
    LtnRPC has successfully made it region-free even after power-cycling it.
    Now I just have to see if I can get source code so I can look at how
    easy it might be to port to Linux - it would be kind of nice if people
    didn't have to resort to using Windows in order to free these drives.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread