Pre partitioned ext2 usb disk appears as fat32 by the debianinstaller - Hardware

This is a discussion on Pre partitioned ext2 usb disk appears as fat32 by the debianinstaller - Hardware ; I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 with an 8GB USB drive as the main disk. I've been following http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html however I have an issue. To prevent having the nslu2 perform the partitioning I've done this on my laptop using ...

  1. Pre partitioned ext2 usb disk appears as fat32 by the debianinstaller

    I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 with an 8GB USB drive as the main disk.
    I've been following http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
    however I have an issue.

    To prevent having the nslu2 perform the partitioning I've done this on
    my laptop using a live cd (fdisk, swapon, mke2fs, etc). When the
    debian installer gets to do the partition it sees the 8Gb drive as a
    fat32 drive with no partitions so I cannot tell the installer to use
    it.

    Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I'm a little lost.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

  2. Re: Pre partitioned ext2 usb disk appears as fat32 by the debianinstaller

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:34:10 -0700, dave.dex wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 with an 8GB USB drive as the main disk.
    > I've been following http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
    > however I have an issue.
    >
    > To prevent having the nslu2 perform the partitioning I've done this on
    > my laptop using a live cd (fdisk, swapon, mke2fs, etc). When the debian
    > installer gets to do the partition it sees the 8Gb drive as a fat32
    > drive with no partitions so I cannot tell the installer to use it.
    >
    > Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I'm a little lost.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Dave

    Without knowing exactly what you did to partition the USB drive--you
    didn't elaborate--I can only guess: It looks like when you used fdisk to
    do the partitioning, you didn't save the changes; that is, you hit "q" to
    quit, which doesn't save any changes, instead of "w" which writes the
    changes to the drive, then quits. Also, when you create a partition in
    fdisk you also need to set the partition "type": 83 is Linux, and 82 is
    Linux swap, IIRC.

    Stef

  3. Re: Pre partitioned ext2 usb disk appears as fat32 by the debian installer

    On 2008-04-15, dave.dex@googlemail.com wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 with an 8GB USB drive as the main disk.
    > I've been following http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
    > however I have an issue.
    >
    > To prevent having the nslu2 perform the partitioning I've done this on
    > my laptop using a live cd (fdisk, swapon, mke2fs, etc). When the
    > debian installer gets to do the partition it sees the 8Gb drive as a
    > fat32 drive with no partitions so I cannot tell the installer to use
    > it.
    >
    > Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I'm a little lost.

    What does "fdisk -l /dev/[whatever]" tell you about the drive? If
    there's no data on the drive, you can start fresh by writting a new,
    empty partition table (use the "o" command from inside fdisk) and
    creating the partitions you need there.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: Pre partitioned ext2 usb disk appears as fat32 by the debianinstaller

    On Apr 16, 3:44 am, John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2008-04-15, dave....@googlemail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 with an 8GB USB drive as the main disk.
    > > I've been followinghttp://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
    > > however I have an issue.

    > > To prevent having the nslu2 perform the partitioning I've done this on
    > > my laptop using a live cd (fdisk, swapon, mke2fs, etc). When the
    > > debian installer gets to do the partition it sees the 8Gb drive as a
    > > fat32 drive with no partitions so I cannot tell the installer to use
    > > it.

    > > Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I'm a little lost.

    > What does "fdisk -l /dev/[whatever]" tell you about the drive? If
    > there's no data on the drive, you can start fresh by writting a new,
    > empty partition table (use the "o" command from inside fdisk) and
    > creating the partitions you need there.
    >
    > --
    >
    > John (j...@os2.dhs.org)

    Thanks for the help. I did make sure I wrote the partitions and when I
    re-insert the drive into another linux box it appears to be correctly
    mount the partitions as I've made them. If I list the partitions using
    fdisk it displays them correctly. I'll post the exact output in a
    moment.

+ Reply to Thread