USB boot - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB boot - Hardware ; I have a Dell Desktop E521. The HD is /dev/sda from Linux (Slackware). I want to be able to boot from the USB stick as well, where I have installed Knoppix. The Slackware system describes the USB as /dev/sdb, and ...

  1. USB boot

    I have a Dell Desktop E521. The HD is /dev/sda from Linux
    (Slackware).
    I want to be able to boot from the USB stick as well, where I have installed
    Knoppix. The Slackware system describes the USB as /dev/sdb, and the
    first partition is, natch, /dev/sdb1 (where I have installed Knoppix
    from DVD. I am trying to get the USB key to boot from BIOS (which
    recognizes the USB key). Using grub, or Lilo, do I describe the USB
    stick as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?. I believe that there has to be a
    slight delay (as against booting from HD) to boot from USB, to allow
    the eystem to recognize the UBS key as such. How do I arrange that?.

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

  2. Re: USB boot

    greymaus wrote:
    > I have a Dell Desktop E521. The HD is /dev/sda from Linux
    > (Slackware).
    > I want to be able to boot from the USB stick as well, where I have installed
    > Knoppix. The Slackware system describes the USB as /dev/sdb, and the
    > first partition is, natch, /dev/sdb1 (where I have installed Knoppix
    > from DVD. I am trying to get the USB key to boot from BIOS (which
    > recognizes the USB key). Using grub, or Lilo, do I describe the USB
    > stick as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?. I believe that there has to be a
    > slight delay (as against booting from HD) to boot from USB, to allow
    > the eystem to recognize the UBS key as such. How do I arrange that?.

    Hello greymaus,

    I don't know the Dell Desktop E521, but I think I had a similiar
    problem. I installed a debian stable on a USB Stick and wanted to boot
    from it. First I tried an installation with an ext filesystem and grub
    as the bootloader, but this won't work. The BIOS recognize the Stick but
    the system don't boot.

    After some faults I tried SYSLINUX and a boot partition formatted with
    MSDOS filesystem. And now, it works fine. Everytime I put the Stick in
    the computer it boots from it.

    Regards,
    Thomas

  3. Re: USB boot

    On 2008-04-13, Thomas wrote:
    > greymaus wrote:
    >> I have a Dell Desktop E521. The HD is /dev/sda from Linux
    >> (Slackware).
    >> I want to be able to boot from the USB stick as well, where I have installed
    >> Knoppix. The Slackware system describes the USB as /dev/sdb, and the
    >> first partition is, natch, /dev/sdb1 (where I have installed Knoppix
    >> from DVD. I am trying to get the USB key to boot from BIOS (which
    >> recognizes the USB key). Using grub, or Lilo, do I describe the USB
    >> stick as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?. I believe that there has to be a
    >> slight delay (as against booting from HD) to boot from USB, to allow
    >> the eystem to recognize the UBS key as such. How do I arrange that?.
    >>

    > Hello greymaus,
    >
    > I don't know the Dell Desktop E521, but I think I had a similiar
    > problem. I installed a debian stable on a USB Stick and wanted to boot
    > from it. First I tried an installation with an ext filesystem and grub
    > as the bootloader, but this won't work. The BIOS recognize the Stick but
    > the system don't boot.
    >
    > After some faults I tried SYSLINUX and a boot partition formatted with
    > MSDOS filesystem. And now, it works fine. Everytime I put the Stick in
    > the computer it boots from it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Thomas

    Thanks.

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

+ Reply to Thread