Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux - Hardware ; I browsed via Google to search for low power ( is some small piece of H/W with an internet RJ45 and some scandisk disk module to boot from into RAM (e.g. Puppy Linux). So once in RAM, speed shouldn't be ...

  1. Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    I browsed via Google to search for low power (<10W) hardware. Ideally it
    is some small piece of H/W with an internet RJ45 and some scandisk
    disk module to boot from into RAM (e.g. Puppy Linux). So once in RAM,
    speed shouldn't be a big concern anymore. There are quite some
    possibilities/solutions available. I need to run just a small webserver,
    and asterix (VoIP) for just a few users. What is the experience here,
    with regards H/W? Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    Ton 't Lam

  2. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:08:40 +0200, Ton 't Lam wrote:

    > I browsed via Google to search for low power (<10W) hardware. Ideally it
    > is some small piece of H/W with an internet RJ45 and some scandisk
    > disk module to boot from into RAM (e.g. Puppy Linux). So once in RAM,
    > speed shouldn't be a big concern anymore. There are quite some
    > possibilities/solutions available. I need to run just a small webserver,
    > and asterix (VoIP) for just a few users. What is the experience here,
    > with regards H/W? Thanks.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Ton 't Lam

    How small? VIA has the edge on low power and small size. PC2500 gOS
    motherboard from ClibIT.com is $60 - VIA C7 1.5 ghz. Also look for mini-
    itx, nano-itx, pico-itx - several sources: mini-itx.com or viaarena.com
    would be places to start your search.

  3. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:08:40 +0200, Ton 't Lam wrote:
    >
    >> I browsed via Google to search for low power (<10W) hardware. Ideally it
    >> is some small piece of H/W with an internet RJ45 and some scandisk
    >> disk module to boot from into RAM (e.g. Puppy Linux). So once in RAM,
    >> speed shouldn't be a big concern anymore. There are quite some
    >> possibilities/solutions available. I need to run just a small webserver,
    >> and asterix (VoIP) for just a few users. What is the experience here,
    >> with regards H/W? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Ton 't Lam

    > How small? VIA has the edge on low power and small size. PC2500 gOS
    > motherboard from ClibIT.com is $60 - VIA C7 1.5 ghz. Also look for mini-
    > itx, nano-itx, pico-itx - several sources: mini-itx.com or viaarena.com
    > would be places to start your search.

    That should be CLUBIT.COM and that particular motherboard is sold out...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    Ton 't Lam wrote:
    > I browsed via Google to search for low power (<10W) hardware.

    The Atmel NGW100 works pretty well for me. Not a "PC", more
    of a SBC. Two NICs, 32MB RAM, MMC slot, comes with Linux
    already loaded. $80 at Mouser.

    Bob'

  5. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:08:20 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:08:40 +0200, Ton 't Lam wrote:
    >>
    >>> I browsed via Google to search for low power (<10W) hardware. Ideally
    >>> it
    >>> is some small piece of H/W with an internet RJ45 and some scandisk
    >>> disk module to boot from into RAM (e.g. Puppy Linux). So once in RAM,
    >>> speed shouldn't be a big concern anymore. There are quite some
    >>> possibilities/solutions available. I need to run just a small
    >>> webserver, and asterix (VoIP) for just a few users. What is the
    >>> experience here, with regards H/W? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards,
    >>> Ton 't Lam

    >> How small? VIA has the edge on low power and small size. PC2500 gOS
    >> motherboard from ClibIT.com is $60 - VIA C7 1.5 ghz. Also look for
    >> mini- itx, nano-itx, pico-itx - several sources: mini-itx.com or
    >> viaarena.com would be places to start your search.

    > That should be CLUBIT.COM and that particular motherboard is sold out...

    Sorry about the typo.

  6. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    Bob Smith wrote:

    > NGW100

    Bob,

    You got me interested. What services are enabled by default? That is... can
    you ssh into the board when you first get it out of the fedex box?

    Thanks....

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  7. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Bob Smith wrote:
    >
    >> NGW100

    > Bob,
    >
    > You got me interested. What services are enabled by default? That is... can
    > you ssh into the board when you first get it out of the fedex box?
    >
    > Thanks....

    This is indeed looking promising. Very nice.

    Jerry, you may want to check
    http://www.avr32linux.org/twiki/bin/...odifyTheNGW100

    main URL is http://www.avr32linux.org/twiki/bin/view/Main

    For my case I will add a bit more memory and check if my CGI will run in
    Perl. Otherwise I will rewrite in reva (a Forth implementation, check
    http://ronware.org/reva/)

    Thanks for all pointers.

    All the best,
    Ton

  8. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

  9. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    Ton 't Lam wrote:

    > See also http://www.fit-pc.com

    These are really nice, but there's no mention of pricing on the available
    webpages... you have to call someone for pricing and that rarely means
    affordable.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  10. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    On 2008-04-15, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Ton 't Lam wrote:
    >
    >> See also http://www.fit-pc.com

    > These are really nice, but there's no mention of pricing on the available
    > webpages... you have to call someone for pricing and that rarely means
    > affordable.

    try search google.com/linux for pricing info, got this first search:

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...18247&from=rss

    ken

  11. Re: Looking for advize on low power/small HW for Linux

    No_One wrote:

    > On 2008-04-15, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> Ton 't Lam wrote:
    >>
    >>> See also http://www.fit-pc.com

    >> These are really nice, but there's no mention of pricing on the available
    >> webpages... you have to call someone for pricing and that rarely means
    >> affordable.
    >>

    > try search google.com/linux for pricing info, got this first search:
    >
    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...18247&from=rss
    >
    > ken

    Hmm... $300.00 is alot for such a modest piece of hardware. Thanks for
    googling for me.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread