external system clock? - Hardware

This is a discussion on external system clock? - Hardware ; Dear all I got a notebook that run out of battery on the mother board. Which means, every time it reboots, or shut down and start again, the system time goes back about 100 years. I can workaround this issue ...

  1. external system clock?

    Dear all

    I got a notebook that run out of battery on the mother board. Which
    means, every time it reboots, or shut down and start again, the system
    time goes back about 100 years.

    I can workaround this issue by running ntp client upon booting, but this
    notebook I used to take it everywhere (I am a heavy traveler) and I
    cannot connect to Internet in many situations. Manually adjust clock
    every time is very troublesome too. The local repair center told me to
    fix this I need to pay the price close to a new notebook computer to get
    the motherboard replaced, because battery cannot be replaced separately.

    I think there probably exist some sort of external system clock device?
    That for example can be plugged in PCMCIA or USB slot, provide the
    kernel the right time when kernel boots? If there are such device then I
    can solve my problem. Otherwise I probably really need to spend a lot of
    $$$.

    I didn't get information of such a product by googling.

  2. Re: external system clock?

    Zhang Weiwu д:
    > I think there probably exist some sort of external system clock device?

    I don't know if such device can provide exactly what I want and if it is
    compatible with Linux kernel?
    http://www.aladdin.com/hasp/time.aspx
    Maybe I can find something kernel-compatible...

  3. Re: external system clock?

    Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    > Dear all
    >
    > I got a notebook that run out of battery on the mother board. Which
    > means, every time it reboots, or shut down and start again, the system
    > time goes back about 100 years.
    >
    > I can workaround this issue by running ntp client upon booting, but this
    > notebook I used to take it everywhere (I am a heavy traveler) and I
    > cannot connect to Internet in many situations. Manually adjust clock
    > every time is very troublesome too. The local repair center told me to
    > fix this I need to pay the price close to a new notebook computer to get
    > the motherboard replaced, because battery cannot be replaced separately.
    >
    > I think there probably exist some sort of external system clock device?
    > That for example can be plugged in PCMCIA or USB slot, provide the
    > kernel the right time when kernel boots? If there are such device then I
    > can solve my problem. Otherwise I probably really need to spend a lot of
    > $$$.
    >
    > I didn't get information of such a product by googling.

    http://www.timetools.co.uk/atomic-cl...clock-sync.htm
    http://www.atomic-clock.galleon.eu.c...lock-sync.html

    Should work, or google some more on ntp sync device.

    Michel.

  4. Re: external system clock?

    dillinger д:
    > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    >> I think there probably exist some sort of external system clock device?

    > http://www.timetools.co.uk/atomic-cl...clock-sync.htm
    > http://www.atomic-clock.galleon.eu.c...lock-sync.html
    >
    > Should work, or google some more on ntp sync device.
    >
    > Michel.

    Hi, Nice idea! Thanks! But I think we don't have these radio time signal
    services in China, and can I use that on the plane too? (I think not)

  5. Re: external system clock?

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:24:48 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

    > Dear all
    >
    > I got a notebook that run out of battery on the mother board. Which
    > means, every time it reboots, or shut down and start again, the system
    > time goes back about 100 years.
    >
    > I can workaround this issue by running ntp client upon booting, but this
    > notebook I used to take it everywhere (I am a heavy traveler) and I
    > cannot connect to Internet in many situations. Manually adjust clock
    > every time is very troublesome too. The local repair center told me to
    > fix this I need to pay the price close to a new notebook computer to get
    > the motherboard replaced, because battery cannot be replaced separately.
    >
    > I think there probably exist some sort of external system clock device?
    > That for example can be plugged in PCMCIA or USB slot, provide the
    > kernel the right time when kernel boots? If there are such device then I
    > can solve my problem. Otherwise I probably really need to spend a lot of
    > $$$.
    >
    > I didn't get information of such a product by googling.

    .... if you can't find a hardware approach... you could at least
    setup a script that runs when you do a shutdown that touches a file
    in something like
    /var/tmp/last_time
    and then have your startup scripts use that file to set the date.
    You could do this via a script so that it would not be a manual
    process... you'd loose time after each boot up... but you would
    not loose lots and lots of time. When you boot up connected
    to the internet... it would 'catch-up' to the current time...

    just a thought.

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  6. Re: external system clock?

    Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    > dillinger д:
    >> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    >>> I think there probably exist some sort of external system clock device?

    >> http://www.timetools.co.uk/atomic-cl...clock-sync.htm
    >> http://www.atomic-clock.galleon.eu.c...lock-sync.html
    >>
    >> Should work, or google some more on ntp sync device.
    >>
    >> Michel.

    > Hi, Nice idea! Thanks! But I think we don't have these radio time signal
    > services in China, and can I use that on the plane too? (I think not)

    Then maybe you should look for a (bluetooth) gps device, or for a way to
    connect to the internet, maybe through a mobile phone.

  7. Re: external system clock?

    Jack> ... if you can't find a hardware approach... you could at
    Jack> least setup a script that runs when you do a shutdown that
    Jack> touches a file in something like /var/tmp/last_time

    Doesn't the file /etc/mtab serve that purpose already?

    --
    Lee Sau Dan u ~{@nJX6X~}

    E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de