Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer - Hardware ; On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:58:22 -0700 (PDT), bobharvey wrote: > >Bur I didn't know people did print programme listings any more. I >tend to just browse them with something like scite tabbed editor. Some of us old-timers like to ...

  1. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    wrote:

    >Bur I didn't know people did print programme listings any more. I
    >tend to just browse them with something like scite tabbed editor.

    Some of us old-timers like to scribble notes on listings and play with
    high-liters... :-)

    I use an ancient Star NL-10, "Ole Reliable", and a print sharer so
    all the computers can use it.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr t-bone .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  2. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    > Some of us old-timers like to scribble notes
    > on listings and play with high-liters ... :-)

    Yes we do ...................................

    I love the smell of high-liters
    in the morning ......

    Tractor-Feed .... mmmmmmmmmm ...............

    [ 66 chars / line ] x [ 80 lines / page ] = 5280 chars

    .... 1 line-printer mile of text .......

    --
    Stanley C. Kitching
    Human Being

  3. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    Cousin Stanley :
    > > Some of us old-timers like to scribble notes
    > > on listings and play with high-liters ... :-)

    > Yes we do ...................................
    >
    > I love the smell of high-liters
    > in the morning ......
    >

    > Tractor-Feed .... mmmmmmmmmm ...............
    >
    > [ 66 chars / line ] x [ 80 lines / page ] = 5280 chars
    >
    > .... 1 line-printer mile of text .......

    Best of all, you stick a finger into the fold between pages, and from
    then on it's like analog less/pg/more/most/... flip, flip, flip, ...

    Too bad dot-matrix is so damned noisy.

  4. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    , Cousin Stanley wrote:

    >> Some of us old-timers like to scribble notes
    >> on listings and play with high-liters ... :-)

    > Yes we do ...................................
    >
    > I love the smell of high-liters
    > in the morning ......

    You only have to work with them in the morning??? Lucky.

    > Tractor-Feed .... mmmmmmmmmm ...............

    A lot more reliable than friction

    > [ 66 chars / line ] x [ 80 lines / page ] = 5280 chars

    Ummm... try it the other way around, or are you printing in a
    landscape mode?

    > .... 1 line-printer mile of text .......

    Don't forget the page printers spewing 136 characters/line and 66 lines
    per page (14.5 x 11.5 fan-fold) at 20+ pages a minute, with a dedicated
    Printer Princess in charge of the machine (because reloading it was not
    the job of mere mortals).

    Old guy

  5. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    >> I love the smell of high-liters
    >> in the morning ......

    > You only have to work with them in the morning???
    > Lucky.

    Morning ....

    A relative term designating the beginning
    of one's work day ....

    Duration may be as long as 23 hours 59.9 seconds ....

    High-liter smell enjoyable all day long,
    but especially in early morning .... :-)

    >> [ 66 chars / line ] x [ 80 lines / page ] = 5280 chars

    > Ummm... try it the other way around, or are you printing
    > in a landscape mode ?

    No ....

    Just simple dummard fuzz brain on this end
    tranformed the units .... :-)

    > Don't forget the page printers spewing 136 characters/line
    > and 66 lines per page (14.5 x 11.5 fan-fold) at 20+ pages
    > a minute, with a dedicated Printer Princess in charge of
    > the machine (because reloading it was not the job of mere
    > mortals).

    I worked occasionally in a machine room in San Juan, PR
    that had one of these that would go bonkers and spew out
    an unbelivable mountain of paper before the operators
    could get it shut down ....

    --
    Stanley C. Kitching
    Human Being

  6. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    , Cousin Stanley wrote:

    >> You only have to work with them in the morning???
    >> Lucky.

    > Morning ....
    >
    > A relative term designating the beginning
    > of one's work day ....
    >
    > Duration may be as long as 23 hours 59.9 seconds ....

    Hey - at least you have 59 minutes for other things - like eating and
    sleeping. ;-)

    Old guy

  7. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    >> Bur I didn't know people did print programme listings any more.
    >> I tend to just browse them with something like scite tabbed
    >> editor.

    Stan> Some of us old-timers like to scribble notes on listings and
    Stan> play with high-liters... :-)

    You can do that with PDF using Acrobat.

    And since I know postscript, I can do it in Postscript, too.

    --
    Lee Sau Dan u ~{@nJX6X~}

    E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

  8. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    s> Best of all, you stick a finger into the fold between pages,
    s> and from then on it's like analog less/pg/more/most/... flip,
    s> flip, flip, ...

    s> Too bad dot-matrix is so damned noisy.

    No. It doesn't have to be noisy. Some crazy guys have written
    program to control the sound generated by such printers to make music!