serial to usb adaptor? - Hardware

This is a discussion on serial to usb adaptor? - Hardware ; Hello All! Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer. Nope, its not that simple: The device has ...

  1. serial to usb adaptor?

    Hello All!

    Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
    but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.

    Nope, its not that simple:

    The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
    baud rate
    Stop bits
    data bits (even/odd)
    Printer/PC bit
    etc

    It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will allow me to
    print out the set up and error logs. It should be connected to a serial
    printer but these are now getting quite hard to find cheaply.
    So this means that the adaptor must work without the use of a device driver.
    I'm hoping I can just connect any USB printer and it will do a basic printout.

    Can anyone help with this?

    My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port to a 9
    pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to mimic a printer
    and capture the output and then print it off if needed.

    Vince

  2. Re: serial to usb adaptor?

    On 2008-04-08, Vince Coen wrote:

    > Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
    > but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.
    >
    > Nope, its not that simple:
    >
    > The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
    > baud rate
    > Stop bits
    > data bits (even/odd)
    > Printer/PC bit
    > etc
    >
    > It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will allow me to
    > print out the set up and error logs. It should be connected to a serial
    > printer but these are now getting quite hard to find cheaply.
    > So this means that the adaptor must work without the use of a device driver.
    > I'm hoping I can just connect any USB printer and it will do a basic printout.
    >
    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port to a 9
    > pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to mimic a printer
    > and capture the output and then print it off if needed.

    I think that's a much better solution anyway. It's likely to be easier to
    connect a laptop for a few minutes, rather then move a printer. And second,
    you might be ablt to use that computer to setup the alarm, if it allows
    that.

    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: serial to usb adaptor?

    Previously Vince Coen wrote:
    > Hello All!

    > Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
    > but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.

    > Nope, its not that simple:

    > The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
    > baud rate
    > Stop bits
    > data bits (even/odd)
    > Printer/PC bit
    > etc

    > It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will
    > allow me to print out the set up and error logs. It should be
    > connected to a serial printer but these are now getting quite hard
    > to find cheaply. So this means that the adaptor must work without
    > the use of a device driver. I'm hoping I can just connect any USB
    > printer and it will do a basic printout.

    > Can anyone help with this?

    This is basically infeasible without a full computer as bridge,
    as USB is a bus controlled by a master.

    > My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port
    > to a 9 pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to
    > mimic a printer and capture the output and then print it off if
    > needed.

    That should be easy. Serial printers are basically passive,
    i.e. input only except for the handhsking signals. Set
    sioftware handshake (x-on/x-off) on both sides for the
    easiset configuration.

    You need the right cable though. Serial cables can be tricky.
    I think it needs to be one that swaps RX and TX. BTW, if
    you only have a computer without serial port, a lot of
    usb-to-serial converters work well under Linux.

    Arno

  4. Re: serial to usb adaptor?

    Hello Arno!

    18 Apr 08 02:42, Arno Wagner wrote to All:

    AW> Previously Vince Coen wrote:
    >> Hello All!

    >> Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25
    >> pin plug but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB
    >> printer.

    >> Nope, its not that simple:

    >> The device has settings via a dip switch to change:
    >> baud rate
    >> Stop bits
    >> data bits (even/odd)
    >> Printer/PC bit
    >> etc

    >> It is NOT a PC device. It is connected to a burglar alarm and will
    >> allow me to print out the set up and error logs. It should be
    >> connected to a serial printer but these are now getting quite hard
    >> to find cheaply. So this means that the adaptor must work without
    >> the use of a device driver. I'm hoping I can just connect any USB
    >> printer and it will do a basic printout.

    >> Can anyone help with this?

    AW> This is basically infeasible without a full computer as bridge,
    AW> as USB is a bus controlled by a master.

    >> My only other option (if it would work) is to connect the RS232 port
    >> to a 9 pin serial port of a laptop and use Hyperlink or minicom to
    >> mimic a printer and capture the output and then print it off if
    >> needed.

    AW> That should be easy. Serial printers are basically passive,
    AW> i.e. input only except for the handhsking signals. Set
    AW> sioftware handshake (x-on/x-off) on both sides for the
    AW> easiset configuration.

    AW> You need the right cable though. Serial cables can be tricky.
    AW> I think it needs to be one that swaps RX and TX. BTW, if
    AW> you only have a computer without serial port, a lot of
    AW> usb-to-serial converters work well under Linux.

    Yes, thats the way I've gone. I used a breakout box to link (on db25) pins
    6,8 & 20 as well as 4 & 5 and attached a long serial ribbon cable to my PC
    running Linux and Minicom and captured the output from the alarm and this was
    a few days after I found the cable on a shelf and nearly threw it away as
    unneeded.

    Using the laptop under Win98SE did not work using hyperterminal.

    Thanks for all the replies,

    Vince

  5. Re: serial to usb adaptor?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Vince Coen wrote:
    >> Hello All!

    >> Anyone know of a adaptor that will allow a RS232 device (uses a 25 pin plug
    >> but can convert that to 9 pin) to send data to a USB printer.

    > This is basically infeasible without a full computer as bridge,
    > as USB is a bus controlled by a master.

    There is a company that has a Parallel to USB converter (yes it seems
    backwards, but it works). You could then front-end it with a serial to
    parallel converter.

    Try:
    http://www.ipcas.com/products/centro...b-printer.html

    There are others out there too, like: http://www.epapersign.com/parallel2usb