Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu - Hardware

This is a discussion on Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu - Hardware ; Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC. Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video now corrupted with old card! Have I zapped the MB, he asks me? Oh no, I ...

  1. Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC.
    Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video
    now corrupted with old card!

    Have I zapped the MB, he asks me? Oh no, I said, it'll be a driver prob.
    I'll sort it out...

    So I boot into XP, and get grossly corrupted video. Difficult to
    describe, but looks like a regular pattern overlying the desktop.

    Boot with Ubuntu live cd - corrupted video! OK. Ctl-Alt-F1. Oh, that's
    corrupted too. Not quite the same, parts of the screen legible but whole
    lines and some individual characters are garbage.

    Boot with debian installer - same again. Hmm. Oh well, at least now I
    can legitimately post to comp.os.linux.hardware :-)

    Having decided that there was some problem with the AGP slot I plugged
    in an old FX5900 card. That works. I am now a bit confused. I have three
    graphics cards. One Radeon and one GeForce show similar corruption under
    both XP and Linux. Another card works fine. One 8x card works, another
    doesn't, so that's not the answer.

    Any thoughts?

    Sarah

    P.S. The motherboard is an AOpen vK8T800a-LF, the original card a Radeon
    9600XT, and the new card an nVidia Inno3d 6200.

  2. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    On Apr 9, 7:45 am, Sarah wrote:
    > Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC.
    > Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video
    > now corrupted with old card!
    >
    > Have I zapped the MB, he asks me? Oh no, I said, it'll be a driver prob.
    > I'll sort it out...
    >
    > So I boot into XP, and get grossly corrupted video. Difficult to
    > describe, but looks like a regular pattern overlying the desktop.
    >
    > Boot with Ubuntu live cd - corrupted video! OK. Ctl-Alt-F1. Oh, that's
    > corrupted too. Not quite the same, parts of the screen legible but whole
    > lines and some individual characters are garbage.
    >
    > Boot with debian installer - same again. Hmm. Oh well, at least now I
    > can legitimately post to comp.os.linux.hardware :-)
    >
    > Having decided that there was some problem with the AGP slot I plugged
    > in an old FX5900 card. That works. I am now a bit confused. I have three
    > graphics cards. One Radeon and one GeForce show similar corruption under
    > both XP and Linux. Another card works fine. One 8x card works, another
    > doesn't, so that's not the answer.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Sarah
    >
    > P.S. The motherboard is an AOpen vK8T800a-LF, the original card a Radeon
    > 9600XT, and the new card an nVidia Inno3d 6200.

    Some food for thought:
    1. Trace the problem backwards from the monitor. Is the monitor
    working ok with a different computer in all modes ? How about the VGA
    cable ? Try wiggling the cable around (while its on ) and see
    whether that changes things. Does the VGA cable pins look ok ? are
    they bent or depressed ?
    2. Does the two cards that doesn't work on that computer work with
    another computer hooked up to the same monitor at the same physical
    location ?
    3. Given that Motherboard bios does some graphics card
    initializations, may be the bios is stuffed or flaky!
    4. Given different graphics cards require varying amounts of power
    from the AGP bus, it could be an issue with the motherboard power
    regulators. If the problem is this, it will be extreamly hard to
    track (I had a similar problem with USB bus which ended up being the
    regulator on the motherboard that was fried)
    5. Does any of the capacitors look bloated or open?
    6. Is the RAM ok ?

  3. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Sarah wrote:
    > Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC.
    > Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video
    > now corrupted with old card!

    I recently had a callout to a computer that did this. The video card had
    stopped working, and replacement cards were doing the same thing.

    I found an old video card that was made by the same manufacturer as the
    motherboard, and miraculously, the problem disappeared.

    You could try to reset the motherboard by removing the internal battery,
    shorting the discharge pin, and refitting the internal battery again.

    You may also be able to change the AGP timing within the system bios.

    If not, maybe a PCI video card could be used, if you have PCI slots and
    a spare card.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Janaka wrote:
    >> Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC.
    >> Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video
    >> now corrupted with old card!
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Sarah
    >>
    >> P.S. The motherboard is an AOpen vK8T800a-LF, the original card a Radeon
    >> 9600XT, and the new card an nVidia Inno3d 6200.

    > Some food for thought:
    > 1. Trace the problem backwards from the monitor. Is the monitor
    > working ok with a different computer in all modes ? How about the VGA
    > cable ? Try wiggling the cable around (while its on ) and see
    > whether that changes things. Does the VGA cable pins look ok ? are
    > they bent or depressed ?

    I used a different monitor and cable.

    > 2. Does the two cards that doesn't work on that computer work with
    > another computer hooked up to the same monitor at the same physical
    > location ?

    Obvious suggestion that I'd missed. Thanks!

    I'll try the two non-working cards in a different PC. The wonderful
    thing with a modern Linux distro is that I don't have to go tracking
    down and installing drivers - it will either work or not work.

    > 3. Given that Motherboard bios does some graphics card
    > initializations, may be the bios is stuffed or flaky!

    I hadn't thought of that. I'll reset the BIOS as my next step.

    > 4. Given different graphics cards require varying amounts of power
    > from the AGP bus, it could be an issue with the motherboard power
    > regulators. If the problem is this, it will be extreamly hard to
    > track (I had a similar problem with USB bus which ended up being the
    > regulator on the motherboard that was fried)
    > 5. Does any of the capacitors look bloated or open?
    > 6. Is the RAM ok ?

    All good ideas, but don't really explain why sticking a new card in
    should knacker the old one. Still, could just be conincidence. I'll try
    the other ideas first and then run memtest86 and have another look at
    the capacitors.

    Thanks for your help - I'll report back!

    Sarah

  5. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Sarah wrote:
    >> Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC.
    >> Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video
    >> now corrupted with old card!

    > I recently had a callout to a computer that did this. The video card had
    > stopped working, and replacement cards were doing the same thing.
    >
    > I found an old video card that was made by the same manufacturer as the
    > motherboard, and miraculously, the problem disappeared.

    Interesting...

    > You could try to reset the motherboard by removing the internal battery,
    > shorting the discharge pin, and refitting the internal battery again.
    >
    > You may also be able to change the AGP timing within the system bios.

    I'll try resetting the BIOS and see what happens.

    > If not, maybe a PCI video card could be used, if you have PCI slots and
    > a spare card.

    There are PCI slots and I got a couple of spare Matrox G200 cards I use
    under linux. The only trouble is he wanted to *up*grade the graphics -
    presumably so his kids could play newer games. I don't think a ten year
    old PCI card will really do the job!

    Thanks,

    Sarah

  6. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Sarah wrote:
    > Janaka wrote:
    >
    >> 2. Does the two cards that doesn't work on that computer work with
    >> another computer hooked up to the same monitor at the same physical
    >> location ?

    > Obvious suggestion that I'd missed. Thanks!

    The new 6200 card works fine in another PC, so the card isn't broken

    >> 3. Given that Motherboard bios does some graphics card
    >> initializations, may be the bios is stuffed or flaky!

    > I hadn't thought of that. I'll reset the BIOS as my next step.

    No difference. The new AGP card still doesn't work. I guess the MB is
    damaged.

    Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

    Sarah

  7. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:34:47 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Sarah
    wrote:

    > The new AGP card still doesn't work. I guess the MB is
    > damaged.

    One last suggestion from the peanut gallery - make sure you've inserted the AGP
    card properly. Several that I've fitted have been *really* difficult to get in
    fully and required so much force that I thoguht I was in daner of breaking the
    motherboard. Mine just popped home by 0.25mm and that was it - but my symptoms
    were different, i.e. no output at all.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  8. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:34:47 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Sarah
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The new AGP card still doesn't work. I guess the MB is
    >> damaged.

    > One last suggestion from the peanut gallery - make sure you've inserted the AGP
    > card properly. Several that I've fitted have been *really* difficult to get in
    > fully and required so much force that I thoguht I was in daner of breaking the
    > motherboard. Mine just popped home by 0.25mm and that was it - but my symptoms
    > were different, i.e. no output at all.

    That's a good point. I've had them in and out so many times now that I
    can't believe that it is as simple as that, but I'll give it a go.

    This PC's case is a bit odd in that there is a bar across the top of the
    slots. In most cases the blanking plates are L-shaped. In this one
    they're flat. It's quite difficult to get the card in because the VGA or
    DVI socket furthest from the board fouls the bar.

    Sarah

  9. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    Sarah wrote:
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:34:47 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Sarah
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The new AGP card still doesn't work. I guess the MB is damaged.

    >> One last suggestion from the peanut gallery - make sure you've
    >> inserted the AGP card properly. Several that I've fitted have been
    >> *really* difficult to get in fully and required so much force that I
    >> thoguht I was in daner of breaking the motherboard. Mine just popped
    >> home by 0.25mm and that was it - but my symptoms were different, i.e.
    >> no output at all.

    > That's a good point. I've had them in and out so many times now that I
    > can't believe that it is as simple as that, but I'll give it a go.
    >
    > This PC's case is a bit odd in that there is a bar across the top of the
    > slots. In most cases the blanking plates are L-shaped. In this one
    > they're flat. It's quite difficult to get the card in because the VGA or
    > DVI socket furthest from the board fouls the bar.
    >
    > Sarah

    Nope. Shoved as hard as possible, causing quite a bit of deformation of
    the MB, but no good. I also bent the lip at the top of the slot upwards
    so I could push it further in.

    Thanks for all the help everyone - I think this is a PC that has played
    its last game! I'll recommend that it is put out to pasture as a server. :-)

    Sarah

  10. Re: Problems with *some* AGP cards under Ubuntu

    On 2008-04-09, Mark Hobley hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Sarah wrote:
    >> Interesting problem: a colleague asked me to have a look at his PC.
    >> Upgraded his graphics card. Video corrupted, so replaces old card. Video
    >> now corrupted with old card!

    > I recently had a callout to a computer that did this. The video card had
    > stopped working, and replacement cards were doing the same thing.

    Mark you seem to be "the" guy I need to ask this question. :-)

    I'm waiting for the replacement for a mother-board planning to build
    my own PC. Now I've read that in some Mother-boards one can't use
    old Graphic-cards which run on 3.5 Volts or so.

    Now I've got a GeForce FX5500 nvidia Card for the dual core box, and
    I would like to try it in this older PC. Will newer Graphic Cards
    run in older PC's with older motherboards?

    This box I posting from has a Athlon 1,9Ghz CPU, the motherboard was
    designed for AMD, product title K7T266 Pro2-A [MSI MS-6380E].

    It seems RAM on this box will go down the tube too, but I still have
    a Pentium II to fall back if I need.

    > Mark.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Q: Do you know what the death-rate around here is?
    A: One per person!

+ Reply to Thread