Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer - Hardware ; Trevor Hemsley wrote: > Nevre used one, wouldn't know it if it fell on my head :-) No > idea about Linux support either. Those things don't need drivers at all. Just send the raw text to /dev/lp Wolfgang Draxinger ...

  1. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  2. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 02:15:14 +0200, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    >> Nevre used one, wouldn't know it if it fell on my head :-) No
    >> idea about Linux support either.

    > Those things don't need drivers at all. Just send the raw text
    > to /dev/lp

    Ya, but...
    I think you'll need more than the normal *nix EOL.
    You'll need the ol' original combo [ x'0A0D' ] from the days of
    yore and the era of the ASR-33.

    Just a Heads Up.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  3. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > Ya, but...
    > I think you'll need more than the normal *nix EOL.
    > You'll need the ol' original combo [ x'0A0D' ] from the days of
    > yore and the era of the ASR-33.

    On traditional Unix systems, there was a configuration option in lpd to
    support the crlf line endings required by the printer. I can't remember
    how I used to do this, but I think there was an option in /etc/printcap
    to define the required line endings.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:08:03 GMT, Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> Ya, but...
    >> I think you'll need more than the normal *nix EOL.
    >> You'll need the ol' original combo [ x'0A0D' ] from the days of
    >> yore and the era of the ASR-33.

    > On traditional Unix systems, there was a configuration option in lpd to
    > support the crlf line endings required by the printer. I can't remember
    > how I used to do this, but I think there was an option in /etc/printcap
    > to define the required line endings.

    And, indeed, on some old dot-matrix printers I've seen in the last 30
    years there would be a DIP switch option to perform CR/LF with only a LF
    received, or perform a CR/LF with only a CR received.

    Do 'they' even make printers with DIP switches any more? :-)
    I think if 'options' can be set for printers now-a-days, it takes a 200
    MB GUI program running on windoze to do it over a USB or LAN connection.

    POP QUIZ:
    Why is it always specified as a CR/LF sequnce, and not a LF/CR
    sequence? After all, there's no difference in the results...

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  5. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > POP QUIZ:
    > Why is it always specified as a CR/LF sequnce, and not a LF/CR
    > sequence? After all, there's no difference in the results...

    Because back when CR actually returned the carriage and LF actually
    fed the paper by a line, it took longer to do the former than the
    latter, so putting the CR first gave the carriage a little more time to
    return to its starting position before the next printable character was
    received.

    --
    Gary Johnson

  6. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    On 10 Apr 2008 06:20:35 GMT, Gary Johnson wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> POP QUIZ:
    >> Why is it always specified as a CR/LF sequnce, and not a LF/CR
    >> sequence? After all, there's no difference in the results...

    > Because back when CR actually returned the carriage and LF actually
    > fed the paper by a line, it took longer to do the former than the
    > latter, so putting the CR first gave the carriage a little more time to
    > return to its starting position before the next printable character was
    > received.

    Go to the head ocf the class! :-)

    And, then there was the IDLE character which could be sent sent multiple
    times after the if the CR took too long. I remember the ASR-33
    and -35 TTYs needing this. Early terminal-modem programs and software
    driving single-directional printers usually had a configuration
    parameter you could specify to set the number of IDLE characters sent.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  7. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    Allodoxaphobia> Do 'they' even make printers with DIP switches any
    Allodoxaphobia> more? :-)

    I don't think so. Such "user unfriendly" interfaces are considered a
    very bad thing nowadays. Which printer manual still tells you the ESC
    sequences to send to the printer to control it for various effects?

    Nowadays, the printer manufacturers hide everything inside their
    (buggy) driver. OS update? Hardware becomes useless. They assume
    that the hardware only lives as long as the OS. They assume the user
    is idiot and hence touch do any technical things at all. Having DIP
    switches reachable by the user or a binary byte mentioned in the
    manual would be considered "too technical" for the user.

    I still love the old days when users are not assumed idiot, and are
    given lots of technical information. (Good for hacking!)

    Allodoxaphobia> I think if 'options' can be set for printers
    Allodoxaphobia> now-a-days, it takes a 200 MB GUI program running
    Allodoxaphobia> on windoze to do it over a USB or LAN connection.

    I can't agree more. I still miss the days of the Apple II a lot.
    Elegant program. No need to chase the mouse. Simple, efficient and
    effective. (Fortunately, Linux/UNIX is also based on such principles.
    No need to live with GUI bloat.)

    --
    Lee Sau Dan u ~{@nJX6X~}

    E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

  8. Re: IBM Compatible Generic Ascii Text Continuous Listing Printer

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:44:19 +0800, LEE Sau Dan wrote:

    > Allodoxaphobia> Do 'they' even make printers with DIP switches any
    > Allodoxaphobia> more? :-)
    >
    > I don't think so.
    > Such "user unfriendly" interfaces are considered
    > a very bad thing nowadays. ^^^^^^^^^^

    Then, that would make micro$oft IN_considerate, wouldn't it? :-)

    Jonesy

+ Reply to Thread