How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem? - Hardware ; A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1? In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set: modem port to com 5: /dev/ttyS4 phone number: myISP# username: myusername password: ...

  1. How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?

    In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    modem port to com 5: /dev/ttyS4
    phone number: myISP#
    username: myusername
    password: mypassword
    Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.

    Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.

    After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox and tried to visit
    some sites but no joy. I never heard the modem dial out. How do I get
    the modem to dial my ISP? Is there something else I must do to get the
    modem to dial?

    I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    and was able to connect to the Internet using PPPconfig. I tried this in
    Ubuntu in a terminal and set it up just like I did in DSL but when I
    tried to connect it said: unrecognized option /dev/ttyS4. I don't know
    squat about the command line but I'm pretty sure I used PPPconfig
    properly. The configuration utility looked exactly like it did in DSL so
    I have no idea why it didn't work.

    How do I get my modem to dial my ISP with a live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks
    for your help.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  2. Re: PROBLEM SOLVED: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote in
    news:Xns9A66AD3D0B68EpcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4:

    > A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    > using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >
    > In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    > modem port to com 5: /dev/ttyS4
    > phone number: myISP#
    > username: myusername
    > password: mypassword
    > Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    > with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >
    > Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    > primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    > secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    > Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >
    > After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox and tried to visit
    > some sites but no joy. I never heard the modem dial out. How do I get
    > the modem to dial my ISP? Is there something else I must do to get the
    > modem to dial?
    >
    > I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    > and was able to connect to the Internet using PPPconfig. I tried this in
    > Ubuntu in a terminal and set it up just like I did in DSL but when I
    > tried to connect it said: unrecognized option /dev/ttyS4. I don't know
    > squat about the command line but I'm pretty sure I used PPPconfig
    > properly. The configuration utility looked exactly like it did in DSL so
    > I have no idea why it didn't work.
    >
    > How do I get my modem to dial my ISP with a live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks
    > for your help.

    PROBLEM SOLVED:

    I used the wrong port for my modem. With WIN98SE and Damn Small Linux my
    3CP2977 hardware modem (aka USR2977) was on ttyS4 (aka COM5) but in Ubuntu
    it is on ttyS1 (aka COM2). I reconfigured my modem to use ttyS1 and
    successfully connected as soon as I clicked the ckeck box on the Network
    dialog to enable my modem. After starting Firefox I was able to visit
    websites. Firefox seemed slow last night so I may need to do some research
    into why.

    I found the correct port by looking in: System, Preferences, Hardware
    Information. From Devices I clicked nForce3 250Gb PCI to PCI Bridge, 56K
    Faxmodem Model 5610, 56K Faxmodem Model 5610. In the Advanced tab on the
    right I saw serial.device and across from that I saw, string /dev/ttyS1.

    Thanks to all who replied.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  3. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    >>"I clicked the ckeck box on the Network
    >>dialog to enable my modem."

    Can You please tell me where can I find this check box?

+ Reply to Thread