54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal? - Hardware

This is a discussion on 54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal? - Hardware ; Dear all I have a notebook produced many years ago, some Pentium 200MHz with 14-inch screen at XGA. I rarely used it so it's very fresh new. I have a powerful server computer in another room. Now I am thinking ...

  1. 54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal?

    Dear all

    I have a notebook produced many years ago, some Pentium 200MHz with
    14-inch screen at XGA. I rarely used it so it's very fresh new. I have a
    powerful server computer in another room.

    Now I am thinking of using the notebook as a wireless X terminal, and
    use the server as X terminal server.

    The notebook has a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. In theory it supports up to 42.4
    Mbit/s for PCMCIA card. I can plugin in a 11Mbps WLAN card in it, but in
    my old experience with 10BASE-T network, 10Mbps is not fast enough for
    use with X-terminal at XGA (it lags). I wish to use a 54Mbps
    high-bandwidth wireless card on the notebook.

    So the question is: does there exist a 54Mbps WLAN card that can work on
    16-bit PCMCIA slot? In best case I probably can get close to 40Mbps
    connection! I doubt if such product exists because I remember when
    54Mbps WLAN is invented, the 16-bit PCMCIA slot is almost dead on the
    market. Also if I search on ebay China, 100% wireless card did not say
    it is 16-bit PCMCIA compatible. I think even if there exists such a
    card, the seller wouldn't know its spec, thus I must find the correct
    model and search particularly that module on ebay.

    Thanks in advance. Also I'd very thankful if you can provide suggestions
    how I can find such a product (model).

    Best regards
    Zhang Weiwu

  2. Re: 54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal?

    Zhang Weiwu wrote:

    > Dear all

    [...]
    > So the question is: does there exist a 54Mbps WLAN card that can work on
    > 16-bit PCMCIA slot?

    AFAIK there doesn't exist such a card. At least the list on
    http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_h...?hostif=PCMCIA doesn't show
    any 802.11a/g card. All 54 Mbit cards use cardbus.

    But did you allready think of using the NX protocol ( with the FreeNX server
    from http://freenx.berlios.de/) instead of pure X11 ?

  3. Re: 54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal?

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:58:41 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    >Dear all

    >I have a notebook produced many years ago, some Pentium 200MHz with
    >14-inch screen at XGA. I rarely used it so it's very fresh new. I have a
    >powerful server computer in another room.

    >Now I am thinking of using the notebook as a wireless X terminal, and
    >use the server as X terminal server.

    >The notebook has a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. In theory it supports up to 42.4
    >Mbit/s for PCMCIA card. I can plugin in a 11Mbps WLAN card in it, but in
    >my old experience with 10BASE-T network, 10Mbps is not fast enough for
    >use with X-terminal at XGA (it lags). I wish to use a 54Mbps
    >high-bandwidth wireless card on the notebook.

    >So the question is: does there exist a 54Mbps WLAN card that can work on
    >16-bit PCMCIA slot? In best case I probably can get close to 40Mbps
    >connection! I doubt if such product exists because I remember when
    >54Mbps WLAN is invented, the 16-bit PCMCIA slot is almost dead on the
    >market. Also if I search on ebay China, 100% wireless card did not say
    >it is 16-bit PCMCIA compatible. I think even if there exists such a
    >card, the seller wouldn't know its spec, thus I must find the correct
    >model and search particularly that module on ebay.

    >Thanks in advance. Also I'd very thankful if you can provide suggestions
    >how I can find such a product (model).

    Perhaps get a wifi<>ethernet adapter such as used for networked video games.
    The disadvantage is that they're not portable; they require a wallwort
    and AC power.

  4. Re: 54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal?

    Markus Kossmann 写道:
    > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    >
    >> Dear all

    > [...]
    >> So the question is: does there exist a 54Mbps WLAN card that can work on
    >> 16-bit PCMCIA slot?

    > AFAIK there doesn't exist such a card. At least the list on
    > http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_h...?hostif=PCMCIA doesn't show
    > any 802.11a/g card. All 54 Mbit cards use cardbus.

    Except one, Dell TrueMobile 1300, which was described on that website as
    PCMCIA-based 802.11g compatible card. But after I purchased one, I
    discovered it is in fact a cardbus device. This means probably the
    website has been wrong.

    > But did you allready think of using the NX protocol ( with the FreeNX server
    > from http://freenx.berlios.de/) instead of pure X11 ?

    Yes, this is what I am going to do now. Thank you for the information!

  5. Re: 54Mbps/PCMCIA wlan card for an X terminal?

    Markus Kossmann 写道:
    > any 802.11a/g card. All 54 Mbit cards use cardbus.

    Hi. I also noticed that there is no 54Mbit 16-bit PC Card everywhere on
    the market. I just wonder if this is a bandwidth related issue?

    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths
    it says, 16-bit PC Card bandwidth is from 31.36MBit/s to 160MBit/s. This
    is significantly faster than 54Mbit/s bandwidth for 802.11g, thus why is
    it not possible (available) for building 802.11g compatible 16-bit PC Card?

    I also wonder this because I was told the 16-bit PC Card cannot be
    100MBit/s Ethernet adapter because of bandwidth limitation. I don't
    understand that too, the 16-bit PC Card maximum bandwidth is 60% higher
    than 100MBit/s network bandwidth, why is it not possible? I know there
    are overhead, but 60% probably is enough for overhead. Or is it
    impossible to transfer data by word?

+ Reply to Thread