HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary - Hardware

This is a discussion on HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary - Hardware ; Haines Brown writes: [snip] > I find that "boot-fll" is a shortcut to indicate that the boot should be > from an .iso file. The cheatcode "fromhd=.." means that CD-Roms are > ignored so you can boot with the original ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary

    Haines Brown writes:

    [snip]

    > I find that "boot-fll" is a shortcut to indicate that the boot should be
    > from an .iso file. The cheatcode "fromhd=.." means that CD-Roms are
    > ignored so you can boot with the original cdrom (I don't understand
    > this). I gather that normal usage points to a device such as
    > /dev/sda1. Here it is instead using a HD UUID, and I wonder where it got
    > that ID and whether it is the ID of the USB-stick or the drive from
    > which the stick was created. In any case, I could add a stanza to the
    > menu.ist on the stick that omits it. The lang=us is a default example,
    > and so I preserved it, and I added the /fromiso before I realized that
    > fromiso was being put into the stanza automatically.

    Where is the documentation for all this? As far as "boot=fll" goes, it
    is present on the installation CD-ROM also. As far as I can tell,
    "fromhd" no longer exists as an option. And "put into the stanza
    automatically" by what?

    http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcodes-en.htm
    http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-...-start-15.html

    Also, your "fromiso" option is not valid because it doesn't say where the
    iso image is. You should use "fromiso=/sidux.iso".

    http://manual.sidux.com/en/hd-install-opts-en.htm

    > The stick's directory structure is
    >
    > /sidux.iso
    > /boot
    > initrd...
    > vmlinuz...
    > /grub
    > stage1
    > stage2
    > menu.lst
    >
    > This seemed normal to me.
    >
    > I followed sixux directions for setting up, but these were not
    > specific. I'll play with different stanzas to see if I can isolate the
    > problem.

    What directions?

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  2. Re: HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary

    Scott Hemphill writes:

    > Scott Hemphill writes:

    [snip]

    > 7. I went to /tmp/media/boot/grub and removed everything but the three
    > menus. I then copied my own (Fedora 8) grub stage files into that
    > directory. Specifically, I copied
    >
    > stage1
    > e2fs_stage_1_5
    > stage2
    >
    > from /boot/grub into /tmp/media/boot/grub.
    >
    > 8. I unmounted /tmp/media and then ran grub and gave the commands:
    >
    > root (hd4,0)
    > setup (hd4)
    >
    > (Device hd4 on my system corresponds with /dev/sde.) I then noted that
    > the setup command was equivalent to two commands:
    >
    > embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage_1_5
    > install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd4) (hd4)1+16 p (hd4,0)/boot/grub/stage2 \
    > /boot/grub/grub.conf

    "e2fs_stage_1_5" is a typo that occurred twice. It should be
    "e2fs_stage1_5".

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  3. Re: HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary

    Scott Hemphill writes:

    > Haines Brown writes:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I find that "boot-fll" is a shortcut to indicate that the boot should be
    >> from an .iso file. The cheatcode "fromhd=.." means that CD-Roms are
    >> ignored so you can boot with the original cdrom (I don't understand
    >> this). I gather that normal usage points to a device such as
    >> /dev/sda1. Here it is instead using a HD UUID, and I wonder where it got
    >> that ID and whether it is the ID of the USB-stick or the drive from
    >> which the stick was created. In any case, I could add a stanza to the
    >> menu.ist on the stick that omits it. The lang=us is a default example,
    >> and so I preserved it, and I added the /fromiso before I realized that
    >> fromiso was being put into the stanza automatically.

    > Where is the documentation for all this?

    No documentation. That is the stanza that showed up. However, it said
    something about editing the menu.lst, which I only took to mean change
    the example partition number to my actual root partition number.

    But let me inject the bottom line: I fiddled with menu.list and got it
    to work. I installed sidux without difficulty. Here's the menu.lst that
    worked for me:

    ##ISO boot primitive experiment. No fromhd or lang
    title sidux (fromISO + fromUSB)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2 boot=fll fromiso nointro \
    quiet vga=791
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2

    > As far as "boot=fll" goes, it
    > is present on the installation CD-ROM also. As far as I can tell,
    > "fromhd" no longer exists as an option. And "put into the stanza
    > automatically" by what?

    Sorry to not be clearer. After mounting the iso image and copying the
    vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the mounted iso image to
    the directory (where X for the kernel and HD are known variables), it
    says:

    Next you have to customise grub. Therefore edit the file
    /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following lines AFTER the ### END DEBIAN
    AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST: NOTE no wildcards on grub line for filenames
    allowed!

    ### ISO boot
    title sidux 32bit from ISO
    kernel (hd0,4)/sidux/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-rc1-slh-smp-1 boot=fll quiet \
    vga=791 fromiso=/sidux/sidux.iso
    initrd (hd0,4)/sidux/initrd.img-2.6.23.9-rc1-slh-smp-1

    With next boot you have a new menu item in grub to start the iso image.

    I changed to the proper partition (hd0,0), file names
    (...2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2), but it didn't work, and so I added:

    root (hd0,0)

    and it booted. But it failed to reboot. Somehow the fromhd= line got in
    there; it wasn't in the directions.

    > http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcodes-en.htm
    > http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-...-start-15.html
    >
    > Also, your "fromiso" option is not valid because it doesn't say where the
    > iso image is. You should use "fromiso=/sidux.iso".

    Yes, but again, the orphased fromiso was in the original menu.lst, and I
    didn't give it much thought until later. Interesting that it is still
    there by itself, but apprently does not stop the USB-stick from booting.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  4. Re: HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary

    Scott Hemphill writes:

    > "e2fs_stage_1_5" is a typo that occurred twice. It should be
    > "e2fs_stage1_5".

    Sorry, I was typing on one machine while trying to copy what I saw on
    the diplay on another in a different direction.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  5. Re: HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary

    Haines Brown writes:

    > Scott Hemphill writes:
    >
    >> Haines Brown writes:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> I find that "boot-fll" is a shortcut to indicate that the boot should be
    >>> from an .iso file. The cheatcode "fromhd=.." means that CD-Roms are
    >>> ignored so you can boot with the original cdrom (I don't understand
    >>> this). I gather that normal usage points to a device such as
    >>> /dev/sda1. Here it is instead using a HD UUID, and I wonder where it got
    >>> that ID and whether it is the ID of the USB-stick or the drive from
    >>> which the stick was created. In any case, I could add a stanza to the
    >>> menu.ist on the stick that omits it. The lang=us is a default example,
    >>> and so I preserved it, and I added the /fromiso before I realized that
    >>> fromiso was being put into the stanza automatically.

    >> Where is the documentation for all this?

    > No documentation. That is the stanza that showed up. However, it said
    > something about editing the menu.lst, which I only took to mean change
    > the example partition number to my actual root partition number.

    What I mean by documentation is: what are the web pages that led you
    to your conclusions? What do you mean by "the stanza that showed up"?
    What software did you use to create the menu.lst in the first place?
    You mentioned earlier that you followed "sidux directions". Where are
    they? Why did you add "/fromiso"? The slash on the beginning would
    make it not work. Also, by not having a space between it and the lang
    code, it became part of the lang code: "lang=us/fromiso".

    > But let me inject the bottom line: I fiddled with menu.list and got it
    > to work. I installed sidux without difficulty. Here's the menu.lst that
    > worked for me:
    >
    > ##ISO boot primitive experiment. No fromhd or lang
    > title sidux (fromISO + fromUSB)
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2 boot=fll fromiso nointro \
    > quiet vga=791
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2

    I'm glad you got it working!

    >> As far as "boot=fll" goes, it
    >> is present on the installation CD-ROM also. As far as I can tell,
    >> "fromhd" no longer exists as an option. And "put into the stanza
    >> automatically" by what?

    > Sorry to not be clearer. After mounting the iso image and copying the
    > vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the mounted iso image to
    > the directory (where X for the kernel and HD are known variables), it
    > says:
    >
    > Next you have to customise grub. Therefore edit the file
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following lines AFTER the ### END DEBIAN
    > AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST: NOTE no wildcards on grub line for filenames
    > allowed!
    >
    > ### ISO boot
    > title sidux 32bit from ISO
    > kernel (hd0,4)/sidux/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-rc1-slh-smp-1 boot=fll quiet \
    > vga=791 fromiso=/sidux/sidux.iso
    > initrd (hd0,4)/sidux/initrd.img-2.6.23.9-rc1-slh-smp-1
    >
    > With next boot you have a new menu item in grub to start the iso image.

    You still didn't answer my question. You used the phrase "put into
    the stanza automatically" but never mentioned the software that could
    have done this. Also, you didn't follow these instructions. If you
    had, you would have had a "fromiso=/sidux.iso" in your stanza, and you
    wouldn't have had a "lang" code or a "fromhd" code.

    > I changed to the proper partition (hd0,0), file names
    > (...2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2), but it didn't work, and so I added:
    >
    > root (hd0,0)
    >
    > and it booted. But it failed to reboot. Somehow the fromhd= line got in
    > there; it wasn't in the directions.
    >
    >> http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcodes-en.htm
    >> http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-...-start-15.html
    >>
    >> Also, your "fromiso" option is not valid because it doesn't say where the
    >> iso image is. You should use "fromiso=/sidux.iso".

    > Yes, but again, the orphased fromiso was in the original menu.lst, and I
    > didn't give it much thought until later. Interesting that it is still
    > there by itself, but apprently does not stop the USB-stick from booting.

    Apparently a "fromiso" without a path causes the kernel to search for
    an .iso file. I don't know what the parameters on the search are, but
    having a file named "sidux.iso" in the root directory makes it
    succeed.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  6. Re: HD partition not ending on a cylinder boundary

    Haines Brown writes:

    > Scott Hemphill writes:
    >

    >> "e2fs_stage_1_5" is a typo that occurred twice. It should be
    >> "e2fs_stage1_5".

    > Sorry, I was typing on one machine while trying to copy what I saw on
    > the diplay on another in a different direction.

    This was my mistake, not yours. I was fixing the error I made when I
    gave a set of instructions for making a working USB stick with the
    sidux .iso on it. Did you see them?

    Scott