3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance - Hardware

This is a discussion on 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance - Hardware ; Ive not much experience with such things; I have setup a RAID5 on a 3ware 9500S-MI8 controller using the cards utility. I have created a reiserfs partition on this drive, i access via /dev/sda, installed gentoo. The kernel contains the ...

  1. 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    Ive not much experience with such things; I have setup a RAID5 on a
    3ware 9500S-MI8 controller using the cards utility. I have created a
    reiserfs partition on this drive, i access via /dev/sda, installed
    gentoo. The kernel contains the 3w_9xxx driver as well as PIIX ide
    driver for my i875 intel board. My problem isn't one of functionality
    but one of speed, it is painfully slow. I might note as well that this
    is a 32bit pci card.

    Here's what a hdparm -tT /dev/sda yields

    /dev/sda
    Timing Cached Reads: 60MB in 2.14 seconds = 20.06 MB/sec
    Timing Buffered Disk Reads: 22MB in 3.12 seconds = 7.05 MB/sec

    I have no experience with raid controllers so my initial thoughts were
    no dma, io @ 16bit, but these are not options via hdparm on /dev/sda.
    I looked through tw_cli man page to find anything related to
    performance and found nothing except about cache, which was on, and a ?
    profile? being set to performance ?if bbu is turned off? which wasn't
    much relevant. I cant find anyone with similar performance searching
    on google either for the past 5 hours.

    Does anyone have any ideas, advice, anything? Im starting to feel a
    bit lost to this problem, if it is indeed a problem and not simply a
    result of my hardware configuration.

  2. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    On Feb 28, 12:23 am, danielatdavesch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ive not much experience with such things; I have setup a RAID5 on a
    > 3ware 9500S-MI8 controller using the cards utility. I have created a
    > reiserfs partition on this drive, i access via /dev/sda, installed
    > gentoo. The kernel contains the 3w_9xxx driver as well as PIIX ide
    > driver for my i875 intel board. My problem isn't one of functionality
    > but one of speed, it is painfully slow. I might note as well that this
    > is a 32bit pci card.
    >
    > Here's what a hdparm -tT /dev/sda yields
    >
    > /dev/sda
    > Timing Cached Reads: 60MB in 2.14 seconds = 20.06 MB/sec
    > Timing Buffered Disk Reads: 22MB in 3.12 seconds = 7.05 MB/sec
    >
    > I have no experience with raid controllers so my initial thoughts were
    > no dma, io @ 16bit, but these are not options via hdparm on /dev/sda.
    > I looked through tw_cli man page to find anything related to
    > performance and found nothing except about cache, which was on, and a ?
    > profile? being set to performance ?if bbu is turned off? which wasn't
    > much relevant. I cant find anyone with similar performance searching
    > on google either for the past 5 hours.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas, advice, anything? Im starting to feel a
    > bit lost to this problem, if it is indeed a problem and not simply a
    > result of my hardware configuration.

    ok well i just came across this link
    http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/26605/
    and on the post dated @ Jan 16, 2008 12:32 PM, it looks like that
    profile being set to performance is the key factor to my write speeds
    not being 7mbs a second.
    The only problem is
    tw_cli$>/c0/u0 set storsave=perform
    asks if i really want to do this and i say yes,
    and it bombs with
    ... Failed
    Error (CLI:108) invalid unit set storsave policy command.

    a manual i was reading through somewhere said storsave is disabled if
    cache is off when unit is created, i wasn't the one to create this
    unit but cache was on when i checked. Going to recreate unit with a
    storsave profile and hopefully that will work. I guess this kinda
    falls out of the hardware section now

  3. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, danielatdaveschool@gmail.com wrote:

    > Ive not much experience with such things; I have setup a RAID5 on a
    > 3ware 9500S-MI8 controller using the cards utility. I have created a
    > reiserfs partition on this drive, i access via /dev/sda, installed
    > gentoo. The kernel contains the 3w_9xxx driver as well as PIIX ide
    > driver for my i875 intel board. My problem isn't one of functionality
    > but one of speed, it is painfully slow. I might note as well that this
    > is a 32bit pci card.
    >
    > Here's what a hdparm -tT /dev/sda yields
    >
    > /dev/sda
    > Timing Cached Reads: 60MB in 2.14 seconds = 20.06 MB/sec
    > Timing Buffered Disk Reads: 22MB in 3.12 seconds = 7.05 MB/sec

    That does look slow, although you have not said what your targets (disks) are.

    There is some information on 3Ware's site about setting up your system for
    optimal performance, including such things as selecting the appropriate
    scheduler.

    One more thought: are you sure that the RAID array is not still being
    initialized? This may take several hours to complete, during which time
    the performance of your array will be reduced.

  4. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    On Feb 28, 1:33 am, Whoever wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, danielatdavesch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Ive not much experience with such things; I have setup a RAID5 on a
    > > 3ware 9500S-MI8 controller using the cards utility. I have created a
    > > reiserfs partition on this drive, i access via /dev/sda, installed
    > > gentoo. The kernel contains the 3w_9xxx driver as well as PIIX ide
    > > driver for my i875 intel board. My problem isn't one of functionality
    > > but one of speed, it is painfully slow. I might note as well that this
    > > is a 32bit pci card.

    > > Here's what a hdparm -tT /dev/sda yields

    > > /dev/sda
    > > Timing Cached Reads: 60MB in 2.14 seconds = 20.06 MB/sec
    > > Timing Buffered Disk Reads: 22MB in 3.12 seconds = 7.05 MB/sec

    > That does look slow, although you have not said what your targets (disks) are.
    >
    > There is some information on 3Ware's site about setting up your system for
    > optimal performance, including such things as selecting the appropriate
    > scheduler.
    >
    > One more thought: are you sure that the RAID array is not still being
    > initialized? This may take several hours to complete, during which time
    > the performance of your array will be reduced.

    O yes, i have read and gone over all the tweaking that 3ware has on
    their site and it is all currently negligible to performance, just
    making it vary from 5-7 MB/sec. The array is initialized and in an
    optimal state. The disks are Western Digital SATA 250GB drives, 4 in
    the RAID5 array, one as a swap.

    As per my second post in this thread, i went to create a unit on the
    spare from the utility on the card but it offered no options about
    storsave, im still investigating this and going to try and create a
    unit on the controller through tw_cli where i can explicitly state the
    storsave value on creation. Though this would be a pain b/c i would
    need some kind of boot medium with tw_cli on it to recreate my unit, i
    dont see why i cant do this through the utility (who's firmware was
    updated to the latest earlier today)

    cheers

  5. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    On Feb 28, 2:00 am, danielatdavesch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 28, 1:33 am, Whoever wrote:
    >

    > > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, danielatdavesch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Ive not much experience with such things; I have setup a RAID5 on a
    > > > 3ware 9500S-MI8 controller using the cards utility. I have created a
    > > > reiserfs partition on this drive, i access via /dev/sda, installed
    > > > gentoo. The kernel contains the 3w_9xxx driver as well as PIIX ide
    > > > driver for my i875 intel board. My problem isn't one of functionality
    > > > but one of speed, it is painfully slow. I might note as well that this
    > > > is a 32bit pci card.

    > > > Here's what a hdparm -tT /dev/sda yields

    > > > /dev/sda
    > > > Timing Cached Reads: 60MB in 2.14 seconds = 20.06 MB/sec
    > > > Timing Buffered Disk Reads: 22MB in 3.12 seconds = 7.05 MB/sec

    > > That does look slow, although you have not said what your targets (disks) are.

    > > There is some information on 3Ware's site about setting up your system for
    > > optimal performance, including such things as selecting the appropriate
    > > scheduler.

    > > One more thought: are you sure that the RAID array is not still being
    > > initialized? This may take several hours to complete, during which time
    > > the performance of your array will be reduced.

    > O yes, i have read and gone over all the tweaking that 3ware has on
    > their site and it is all currently negligible to performance, just
    > making it vary from 5-7 MB/sec. The array is initialized and in an
    > optimal state. The disks are Western Digital SATA 250GB drives, 4 in
    > the RAID5 array, one as a swap.
    >
    > As per my second post in this thread, i went to create a unit on the
    > spare from the utility on the card but it offered no options about
    > storsave, im still investigating this and going to try and create a
    > unit on the controller through tw_cli where i can explicitly state the
    > storsave value on creation. Though this would be a pain b/c i would
    > need some kind of boot medium with tw_cli on it to recreate my unit, i
    > dont see why i cant do this through the utility (who's firmware was
    > updated to the latest earlier today)
    >
    > cheers

    an update,

    so theres a fifth drive that was a rebuild drive if one drive failed,
    i removed its configuration and now my raid5 array is running to speed
    and proper,

  6. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    In article <7e605e33-0eba-407c-92dd-5a31de9858f9@64g2000hsw.googlegroups.com>, danielatdaveschool@gmail.com wrote:
    > so theres a fifth drive that was a rebuild drive if one drive failed,
    > i removed its configuration and now my raid5 array is running to speed
    > and proper,

    Sounds like a bug -- does that card have the latest firmware?

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  7. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    On Feb 28, 12:22 pm, Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article <7e605e33-0eba-407c-92dd-5a31de985...@64g2000hsw.googlegroups.com>, danielatdavesch...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > so theres a fifth drive that was a rebuild drive if one drive failed,
    > > i removed its configuration and now my raid5 array is running to speed
    > > and proper,

    > Sounds like a bug -- does that card have the latest firmware?
    >
    > --
    > Roger Blake
    > (Subtract 10s for email.)

    Yes the firmware on the card was updated to the latest yesterday
    before this was all started, perhaps a bug related to the newest
    firmware revision, ill look into it and leave an update on my findings

  8. Re: 3ware 9000 Controller Extremely Slow Performance

    an update -
    jumping straight to the point. for the card i have to work properly,
    during bootup i must enter the controllers utility by pressing Alt+3
    and then ... i wait like five minutes. Dont press anything and then
    exit the utility and let the computer proceed with bootup. Everything
    works great. I have an advanced RMA being shipped out by 3ware right
    now, Id have to say their service is great, it took about 1 1/2 hours
    to get someone on the phone, filling out the advanced RMA for an
    overniter was free aside from shipping (of course) and got a tracking
    number 30 minutes later.

    they said that the controller should have come with red sata cables
    ( its a special cable that connects 4 sata cables on one end into one
    connection that plugs into the controller ) but this one from CDW came
    with blue cables and they said it was probably repackaged and not an
    issue and theyd send us proper cables (theyre cables). So i guess Ill
    consider this closed.

+ Reply to Thread