Re: Install on new M.B. - Hardware

  1. Re: Install on new M.B.

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:38:19 -0600, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > Try Fedora 8, it uses the most recent kernel.

    I believe opensuse 10.3 does also.

    --
    kid

  2. Re: Install on new M.B.

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:50:58 +0000, Lloyd Branum wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:38:19 -0600, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >

    >> Try Fedora 8, it uses the most recent kernel.

    > I believe opensuse 10.3 does also.
    >
    > --
    > kid

    F8 installs with a 2.6.23 kernel, I suspect that Suse 10.3 starts with
    2.6.22 although it may have a 2.6.23 update.

  3. Re: Install on new M.B.

    In article ,
    schvantzkopf@yahoo.com (General Schvantzkopf) writes:

    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:50:58 +0000, Lloyd Branum wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:38:19 -0600, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try Fedora 8, it uses the most recent kernel.

    >> I believe opensuse 10.3 does also.

    > F8 installs with a 2.6.23 kernel, I suspect that Suse 10.3 starts
    > with 2.6.22 although it may have a 2.6.23 update.

    When I replaced my motherboard, the kernel on my original Linux boot
    disk (IDE) came up just fine, but it couldn't see the two SATA drives
    that were also attached. I was running Slackware 10.0, which normally
    comes with a 2.4 kernel, although I had built and was using the
    optional 2.6.13 kernel that comes with it.

    I moved up to Slackware 12.0 (kernel 2.6.21.5), which had no trouble
    recognizing the SATA drives and their contents (whew!).

    BTW I tried fiddling around with upgrading the existing system,
    but in the end I just blew it away and installed the new version
    from scratch. That saved me a lot of pain in the long run,
    especially since my /home was safely tucked away on one of
    those SATA drives and remained intact. Just for security,
    though, I backed up /etc before blowing away the original
    installation.

    Another point of interest: the new system wouldn't reformat the
    root partition when I told it to - it just came back immediately
    as if it had, but the old stuff was still there. I had to
    erase the partitions on the drive and re-create them before
    I could do a full installation from scratch.

    Separate partitions for /home (and other data directories, if any)
    is definitely the way to go.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)