I want to migrate to Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on I want to migrate to Linux - Hardware ; In Chris Cox: [Snip...] > and it would be helpful if you post the list that work well under Linux Don't hold your breath; seems someone wants a free perfect Doze clone, and no impertinent suggestions from the peasants. -- ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 45 of 45

  1. Re: I want to migrate to Linux

    In <13sfbu8552aqa55@corp.supernews.com> Chris Cox:

    [Snip...]

    > and it would be helpful if you post the list that work well under Linux

    Don't hold your breath; seems someone wants a free perfect Doze clone, and
    no impertinent suggestions from the peasants.

  2. Re: I want to migrate to Linux

    Chris Cox wrote in

    > pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >> Chris Cox wrote in

    >>> Ok... I guess you didn't need most of those apps after all.
    >>> (which again... is fine... and the better way to approach
    >>> Linux)

    >> How much I can accomplish with WINE or a VM will be determined by my
    >> own efforts and not by some naysayer. I will waste no more time on
    >> you.

    > I'm hardly a "naysayer".

    Would wet blanket be more appropriate? Rhetorically speaking of course.
    Lets not debate this as I'm not interesting in bickering. If I misjudged
    you then I too apologize.

    > You wanted someone with experience
    > to help you. Sorry if I offended you somehow.

    Apology accepted.

    > Just wanted to let you know what you could expect.

    I will find out for myself in due time.

    > However, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

    I too can admit my mistakes.

    > If you do end up getting even 50% of your list of applications working
    > to the point of your own personal satisfaction, that would be VERY
    > interesting and it would be helpful if you post the list that work
    > well under Linux.

    I don't require 100% the apps on my list to work. If I can get my key
    apps to work then I will consider it a major success and well worth the
    effort of adopting Linux. I will endeavor to post a list of my successes
    but in a new thread as this one may be elderly by then. I have no idea
    how long it will take me to get all of my hardware working under Linux
    let alone installing or running WINE or a VM. The speed of my progress
    may well be influenced by the amount of help I get from this group. I
    would appreciate your help too if you feel so inclined.

    Peace and happy trails man.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  3. Re: I want to migrate to Linux

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:

    > I don't require 100% the apps on my list to work. If I can get my key
    > apps to work then I will consider it a major success and well worth the
    > effort of adopting Linux. I will endeavor to post a list of my successes
    > but in a new thread as this one may be elderly by then. I have no idea
    > how long it will take me to get all of my hardware working under Linux
    > let alone installing or running WINE or a VM. The speed of my progress
    > may well be influenced by the amount of help I get from this group. I
    > would appreciate your help too if you feel so inclined.

    Hardware is pretty easy actually. Windows software ... much, much
    more difficult. But... don't want this to become a burden... so
    I guess it would be beneficial if you post the apps that work well
    with wine as you find them.

    winehq has a link as a way as well to submit levels of success on
    Windows products.

    > Peace and happy trails man.

    No problem. I hope you get to the point of ditching
    Windows 100% (I've been Windows free at home since 1994).
    At work I specialize in Windows to Unix/Linux integration
    (not everyone can make the full transition).

  4. Re: I want to migrate to Linux

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > pcbldrNinetyEight staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > [much snippage, he wants to know whether these things will work in Linux
    > under wine or whether Linux equivalents for them exist]
    >
    >> TrueSpace 4.3 (this version untested in WINE)
    >> Bryce 4 (this version untested in WINE)
    >> Poser 4 (this version untested in WINE)
    >> iSpace 1.0 (unknown to WINE)
    >> LiveMotion 1.2 (unknown to WINE)

    > Damned if I know. 3D work just isn't one of my major interests. If
    > rendering speed isn't a big deal, you *might* be able to run these
    > things under virtualbox or vmware, depending on various things.

    Anything regarding 3D will have to be emulated in a virtual machine context,
    unless you install something like VMGL. This means that without VMGL,
    you'll suffer severe performance losses on 3D apps. With VMGL, you get
    about up to 80% of native performance.

    >> Photoshop 6 (WINE gold) , Word 97 (WINE gold)

    > openoffice.org and gimp?

    Abiword is also still a popular wordprocessing application for GNU/Linux.
    The GIMP has special plug-ins that will make it look and feel more like
    Photoshop - or so I've read, as I don't know what Photoshop actually looks
    and feels like.

    >> DeepBurner , DeepRipper

    > I assume these are CD/DVD programs. k3b and/or dvd::rip, depending on
    > what exactly it is you want to do.

    XCdRoast for burning, Grip for ripping. Nothing beats K3B for burning
    though. :-)

    >> NIC driver for onboard LAN, Biostar NF325-A7 MOBO
    >> AMD Cool 'n' Quiet
    >> WarpSpeeder (MOBO temp and voltage monitor)

    > These things are almost certainly supported. NICs by modules in the
    > standard kernel, CPU frequency by cpufreqd, temperature and voltage by
    > lm_sensors.
    >
    >> FaxTalk Plus 3.0

    > People still use fax in this day and age? How primitive.

    GNU/Linux does support fax applications, and the popular desktop
    environments like KDE and Gnome come with GUI front-end fax apps.
    >> X-News

    > xnews? There are more native NNTP clients for Linux than you can shake
    > a stick at.

    KNode (part of KDE), Evolution (part of Gnome) should also handle it. Pan
    is also quite popular, especially with regard to binary downloads, I
    believe. slrn is an advanced non-graphical (menu-driven) newsreader which
    many use from within a terminal window.

    >> Starter (registry editor to control apps started at boot up)

    > It's called "the SysV Init Layout", and is typically managed by
    > rc-update or update-rc.d or chkconfig or another distro-specific tool.

    I take it the OP means that he wants to control applications to be started
    automatically when logging into his desktop environment of choice. KDE
    offers this option via symbolic links or scripts in the
    */home/$USERNAME/.kde/.Autostart* directory. Gnome has a similar
    functionality but I don't know how things work there.

    Starting a Windows application via wine automatically would then be achieved
    by putting a little script in the abovementioned directory, reading
    something like...

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # This will automatically start the Windows program foo.exe which is
    # installed in /usr/share/wintendo-apps/MS-Foo_1.2.3/foo.exe
    #
    wine /usr/share/wintendo-apps/MS-Foo_1.2.3/foo.exe

    .... and giving this script execute permission for the owner.

    >> FontExplorer

    > What's this do?

    Presumably this is some kind of font viewer. There are various KDE and
    Gnome utilities that do this.

    >> EPIC Pinball , NASCAR 1999 , IndyCar Racing 2 , Wing Commander 3,
    >> Tie Fighter

    > These are old, so wine might work.

    If they require DirectX, the OP will need Cedega instead. Cedega is a
    commercial version of Wine that has limited DirectX support on UNIX. It's
    not free though, neither in the sense of "free beer" nor in the sense of
    "free speech".

    >> I manually assign IP addresses for this peer to peer wired network.

    > It'd be easier to set up a DHCP server and lock the MAC addrs of all the
    > boxes to particular IPs.

    Manually assigning IP addresses should not be too hard and is in fact even
    recommended if you have a limited number of machines on the network.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: I want to migrate to Linux

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:47:19 +0000, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:

    > The apps:
    > TrueSpace 4.3 (this version untested in WINE) Bryce 4 (this version
    > untested in WINE) Poser 4 (this version untested in WINE) iSpace 1.0
    > (unknown to WINE)

    You might like Blender3D which is a native Linux application. Other
    alternatives are Povray which is very geeky. You need to type code to
    make 3D images, and the other I can think of is Maya which is VEERY
    expensive but who knows, you might be able to find a 2nd hand copy at
    ebay.

    > DreamWeaver 3 (WINE silver)

    Lots of HTML/Web design apps exist for Linux. Dreamweaver users would
    probably claim they are not as powerful (the best of them does not have a
    WYSIWYG approach to html designing but require you to write HTML yourself)

    > Illustartor 9 (WINE silver)

    I am pretty sure alternatives exist but I can't name any and I doubt they
    are as powerful.

    > Photoshop 6 (WINE gold)

    Depending on how much PS poweruser you are you might be able to do what
    you need with Gimp

    > Word 97 (WINE gold)

    OpenOffice is just as good as MS Office (as already stated elsewhere in
    this thread)

    > DeepBurner

    I guess this is CD-recording software. Alternatives exist like k3b for
    the KDE desktop.

    > DeepRipper

    If it is a CD/DVD ripper there are alternatives.

    > AMD Cool 'n' Quiet
    > WarpSpeeder (MOBO temp and voltage monitor) Starter (registry editor to

    You can monitor that under linux. At least I have seen desktop
    screenshots with such utilities running. Can't give you the name of them
    sorry.

    > Games:
    > EPIC Pinball
    > NASCAR 1999
    > IndyCar Racing 2
    > Wing Commander 3
    > Tie Fighter

    You might want to give Cedega a shot for games. Just google Cedega. It is
    not a free application but it is very inexpensive and easy to setup.

    > Many more DOS games that I rarely play anymore. Due to lack of gameport
    > on new MOBO some of above are not currently playable. I may need a USB
    > joystick.

    For Dos games try DosBox.

    > Of all of the above my graphics software is most important especially my
    > 3-D apps. They were very expensive and the learning curve was steep plus
    > they are my most favorite toys.

    None of your graphics applications exist under Linux and I doubt they
    will run well under Wine if at all. You could consider a dual-boot system
    with both Windows and Linux if you can't settle with the Linux
    alternatives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3