computer-controlled watergun - Hardware

This is a discussion on computer-controlled watergun - Hardware ; I have a problem with the cats getting on the counter. I don't want to spray them myself because (1) it's near-impossible to sneak up on a cat; and (2) I don't want them to associate getting squirted with me, ...

  1. computer-controlled watergun

    I have a problem with the cats getting on the counter. I don't want to
    spray them myself because (1) it's near-impossible to sneak up on a cat;
    and (2) I don't want them to associate getting squirted with me, and
    therefore dislike _me_.

    So I had this idea. I'll take an old computer. Add a webcam,
    servo-controlled watergun, and some glue code (which I'll write), and
    I have an automatic cat detector and squirter. If it's put on the
    counter and the cats wear reflective collars, targeting should be easy.
    If the computer needs USB and doesn't have it, I think I have a PCI USB
    card around here.

    The only sticking point is servos, where to get them, and how to interface
    them to the computer. (I need azimuth, elevation, [or X and Y] and an
    on/off trigger.) Anybody ever used them?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    "It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political

  2. Re: computer-controlled watergun

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:43:06 GMT, Hactar wrote:
    >I have a problem with the cats getting on the counter. I don't want to
    >spray them myself because (1) it's near-impossible to sneak up on a cat;
    >and (2) I don't want them to associate getting squirted with me, and
    >therefore dislike _me_.

    >So I had this idea. I'll take an old computer. Add a webcam,
    >servo-controlled watergun, and some glue code (which I'll write), and
    >I have an automatic cat detector and squirter. If it's put on the
    >counter and the cats wear reflective collars, targeting should be easy.
    >If the computer needs USB and doesn't have it, I think I have a PCI USB
    >card around here.

    >The only sticking point is servos, where to get them, and how to interface
    >them to the computer. (I need azimuth, elevation, [or X and Y] and an
    >on/off trigger.) Anybody ever used them?

    http://www.hackaday.com/2007/10/12/c...lawn-defender/

  3. Re: computer-controlled watergun

    In article ,
    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:43:06 GMT, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > >So I had this idea. I'll take an old computer. Add a webcam,
    > >servo-controlled watergun, and some glue code (which I'll write), and
    > >I have an automatic cat detector and squirter. If it's put on the
    > >counter and the cats wear reflective collars, targeting should be easy.
    > >If the computer needs USB and doesn't have it, I think I have a PCI USB
    > >card around here.

    > >The only sticking point is servos, where to get them, and how to interface
    > >them to the computer. (I need azimuth, elevation, [or X and Y] and an
    > >on/off trigger.) Anybody ever used them?

    > http://www.hackaday.com/2007/10/12/c...lawn-defender/

    Excellent, thanks! I looked at that site but missed that one.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? [TOFU := text oben,

  4. Re: computer-controlled watergun

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:43:06 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > I have a problem with the cats getting on the counter. I don't want to
    > spray them myself because (1) it's near-impossible to sneak up on a cat;
    > and (2) I don't want them to associate getting squirted with me, and
    > therefore dislike _me_.
    >
    > So I had this idea. I'll take an old computer. Add a webcam,
    > servo-controlled watergun, and some glue code (which I'll write), and
    > I have an automatic cat detector and squirter. If it's put on the
    > counter and the cats wear reflective collars, targeting should be easy.
    > If the computer needs USB and doesn't have it, I think I have a PCI USB
    > card around here.
    >
    > The only sticking point is servos, where to get them, and how to interface
    > them to the computer. (I need azimuth, elevation, [or X and Y] and an
    > on/off trigger.) Anybody ever used them?

    Not the answer you are looking for, but....

    I know a women with 5 cats in a small condo. She puts aluminum foil on
    her counters, and the cats stay off. Cats don't like to walk on foil.

    stonerfish

  5. Re: computer-controlled watergun

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:18:15 GMT, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:43:06 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem with the cats getting on the counter. I don't want to
    >> spray them myself because (1) it's near-impossible to sneak up on a cat;
    >> and (2) I don't want them to associate getting squirted with me, and
    >> therefore dislike _me_.
    >>
    >> So I had this idea. I'll take an old computer. Add a webcam,
    >> servo-controlled watergun, and some glue code (which I'll write), and
    >> I have an automatic cat detector and squirter. <- snip ->

    > Not the answer you are looking for, but....
    >
    > I know a women with 5 cats in a small condo. She puts aluminum foil on
    > her counters, and the cats stay off. Cats don't like to walk on foil.

    I am reminded of an old saying:

    When the only tool you have is a hammer, you'll
    perceive all the problems coming your way as nails.

  6. Re: computer-controlled watergun

    In article ,
    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:43:06 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > I have a problem with the cats getting on the counter. I don't want to
    > > spray them myself because (1) it's near-impossible to sneak up on a cat;
    > > and (2) I don't want them to associate getting squirted with me, and
    > > therefore dislike _me_.
    > >
    > > So I had this idea. I'll take an old computer. Add a webcam,
    > > servo-controlled watergun, and some glue code (which I'll write), and
    > > I have an automatic cat detector and squirter. If it's put on the
    > > counter and the cats wear reflective collars, targeting should be easy.
    > > If the computer needs USB and doesn't have it, I think I have a PCI USB
    > > card around here.
    > >
    > > The only sticking point is servos, where to get them, and how to interface
    > > them to the computer. (I need azimuth, elevation, [or X and Y] and an
    > > on/off trigger.) Anybody ever used them?
    > >

    > Not the answer you are looking for, but....
    >
    > I know a women with 5 cats in a small condo. She puts aluminum foil on
    > her counters, and the cats stay off. Cats don't like to walk on foil.

    That's certainly easier than an automatic cat-soaker. Does the entire
    counter surface have to be covered (that makes it sorta useless for
    other purposes) or just the outer foot or so? Adhesive tape sounds good
    too, but it's extremely annoying to the us humans there. And that's a
    lot of area to tape.

    --
    "Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
    only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th

+ Reply to Thread