HD DVD drives for linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on HD DVD drives for linux? - Hardware ; Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff should be getting dumped pretty soon now. I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my linux pc ...

  1. HD DVD drives for linux?

    Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff should
    be getting dumped pretty soon now.

    I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my
    linux pc so that I can view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get
    sold off.

    Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata, etc
    ports... and has linux drivers.

    Thanks - jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  2. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:57:24 +0000, Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    > Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff should
    > be getting dumped pretty soon now.
    >
    > I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my
    > linux pc so that I can view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get sold
    > off.
    >
    > Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    > looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata, etc
    > ports... and has linux drivers.
    >
    > Thanks - jack

    There were hardly any HD DVD drives on the market, Newegg has 1 for $100
    and it's an IDE drive.

  3. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    Jack Snodgrass staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff
    > should be getting dumped pretty soon now. I'd like to see if I can
    > get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my linux pc so that I can
    > view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get sold off.
    >
    > Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    > looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata,
    > etc ports... and has linux drivers.

    DVD drives (including HD and Blu) are all supposed to follow the
    standards for ATAPI/USB/SATA removable storage devices. As such, there
    should be no need for any Linux drivers beyond {IDE,SATA,USB} CD-ROM
    support, which has been in the vanilla kernel for a long time.

    --
    I think I'll go hold my head under a bucket of vodka until I feel
    better. --localroger on kuro5hin.org, 06/26/2003

  4. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    In article <-ICdnT-yUsE7qiHanZ2dnUVZ_uTinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    schvantzkopf@yahoo.com (General Schvantzkopf) writes:

    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:57:24 +0000, Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    >
    >> Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff
    >> should be getting dumped pretty soon now.
    >>
    >> I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my
    >> linux pc so that I can view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get
    >> sold off.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    >> looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata,
    >> etc ports... and has linux drivers.
    >>
    >> Thanks - jack

    > There were hardly any HD DVD drives on the market, Newegg has 1 for
    > $100 and it's an IDE drive.

    Yesterday in a local store I saw an LG drive that would read HD and
    Blu-Ray, and read/write DVD+/-R[W] and CD-ROM, for just over $200.
    I think it had a SATA interface.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  5. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:57:24 GMT, Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    >Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff should
    >be getting dumped pretty soon now.

    >I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my
    >linux pc so that I can view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get
    >sold off.

    >Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    >looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata, etc
    >ports... and has linux drivers.

    AFAIK, hd-dvd movies are encrypted and it hasn't been broken yet.
    They're worthless coaster.

  6. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:57:24 GMT, Jack Snodgrass
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff should
    >>be getting dumped pretty soon now.

    >>I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my
    >>linux pc so that I can view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get
    >>sold off.

    >>Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    >>looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata, etc
    >>ports... and has linux drivers.

    > AFAIK, hd-dvd movies are encrypted and it hasn't been broken yet.
    > They're worthless coaster.

    Well... not quite coasters yet. The DRM in both hd-dvd and blu-ray have
    indeed been cracked. It's pretty much still a proof of concept, in that
    it's not easy to implement by the end user yet. A simple google search will
    find all kinds of links about it. Nice reading.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  7. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:06:18 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:57:24 GMT, Jack Snodgrass
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Now that the HD DVD / Blu-Ray format war is decided, HD DVD stuff should
    >>>be getting dumped pretty soon now.

    >>>I'd like to see if I can get a CHEAP HD DVD Drive connected up to my
    >>>linux pc so that I can view some cheap HD DVD movies once they get
    >>>sold off.

    >>>Does anyone know what our ( linux ) options are for doing this? I'm
    >>>looking for something that can be hooked up via the ide, usb, sata, etc
    >>>ports... and has linux drivers.

    >> AFAIK, hd-dvd movies are encrypted and it hasn't been broken yet.
    >> They're worthless coaster.

    >Well... not quite coasters yet. The DRM in both hd-dvd and blu-ray have
    >indeed been cracked. It's pretty much still a proof of concept, in that
    >it's not easy to implement by the end user yet. A simple google search will
    >find all kinds of links about it. Nice reading.

    I'd saw that, but also concluded it was only "proof of concept". Until I can
    actually put movies I purchase onto a server for playback anywhere in my
    household, they'll just be worthless garbage to me.

  8. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:06:18 -0500, Jerry McBride
    > wrote:
    >>AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> AFAIK, hd-dvd movies are encrypted and it hasn't been broken yet.
    >>> They're worthless coaster.

    >>Well... not quite coasters yet. The DRM in both hd-dvd and blu-ray have
    >>indeed been cracked. It's pretty much still a proof of concept, in that
    >>it's not easy to implement by the end user yet. A simple google search
    >>will find all kinds of links about it. Nice reading.

    > I'd saw that, but also concluded it was only "proof of concept". Until I
    > can actually put movies I purchase onto a server for playback anywhere in
    > my household, they'll just be worthless garbage to me.

    Perhaps to you, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one person making good
    use of backuphd and backupbluray.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  9. Re: HD DVD drives for linux?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:22:48 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:06:18 -0500, Jerry McBride
    >> wrote:

    >>>Well... not quite coasters yet. The DRM in both hd-dvd and blu-ray have
    >>>indeed been cracked. It's pretty much still a proof of concept, in that
    >>>it's not easy to implement by the end user yet. A simple google search
    >>>will find all kinds of links about it. Nice reading.

    >> I'd saw that, but also concluded it was only "proof of concept". Until I
    >> can actually put movies I purchase onto a server for playback anywhere in
    >> my household, they'll just be worthless garbage to me.

    >Perhaps to you, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one person making good
    >use of backuphd and backupbluray.

    Thanks for the information on that project. I was wondering how long
    I'd have to wait before I could start buying hidef movies. I've
    refused up to now as they put too many restrictions on playback.

+ Reply to Thread