Free Linux drivers - Hardware

This is a discussion on Free Linux drivers - Hardware ; Hi all, where could I find a list of hardware that is supported right from the kernel? I mean hardware that has Free drivers in the kernel tree. Always having to google out whether a piece of hardware is Linux ...

  1. Free Linux drivers

    Hi all,
    where could I find a list of hardware that is supported right from the
    kernel? I mean hardware that has Free drivers in the kernel tree.
    Always having to google out whether a piece of hardware is Linux
    supported bothers me...

  2. Re: Free Linux drivers

    homie.bongo@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > where could I find a list of hardware that is supported right from the
    > kernel? I mean hardware that has Free drivers in the kernel tree.
    > Always having to google out whether a piece of hardware is Linux
    > supported bothers me...

    You could try here...:

    http://www.linux-drivers.org/

    I don't know how accurate, complete or up-to-date that site is, though.
    What's supported in the kernel also largely depends on the kernel version,
    and this varies greatly per distribution.

    The latest stable vanilla kernel from Linus is 2.6.24.2, and currently
    2.6.25 is already in /-rc2/ stage. Distro kernels usually lag a bit
    behind.

    Additionally, if you intend to use Xen, then 2.6.22 is the most recent
    XenLinux-patched kernel for both /dom0/ and /domU,/ and is only available
    as such from Ubuntu or Gentoo. Fedora Core has a 2.6.20 XenLinux kernel
    and vanilla Xen.org kernels are 2.6.18.

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Free Linux drivers

    On 19 Ún, 12:14, Aragorn wrote:
    > homie.bo...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > where could I find a list of hardware that is supported right from the
    > > kernel? I mean hardware that has Free drivers in the kernel tree.
    > > Always having to google out whether a piece of hardware is Linux
    > > supported bothers me...

    > You could try here...:
    >
    > * * * *http://www.linux-drivers.org/
    >
    > I don't know how accurate, complete or up-to-date that site is, though.
    > What's supported in the kernel also largely depends on the kernel version,
    > and this varies greatly per distribution.
    >
    > The latest stable vanilla kernel from Linus is 2.6.24.2, and currently
    > 2.6.25 is already in /-rc2/ stage. *Distro kernels usually lag a bit
    > behind. *
    >
    > Additionally, if you intend to use Xen, then 2.6.22 is the most recent
    > XenLinux-patched kernel for both /dom0/ and /domU,/ and is only available
    > as such from Ubuntu or Gentoo. *Fedora Core has a 2.6.20 XenLinux kernel
    > and vanilla Xen.org kernels are 2.6.18.
    >
    > --
    > Aragorn
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    This is what I was looking for!
    https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/
    you can see which devices have free drivers in kernel and which must
    be provided by the distro

  4. Re: Free Linux drivers

    homie.bongo@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > where could I find a list of hardware that is supported right from the
    > kernel? I mean hardware that has Free drivers in the kernel tree.
    > Always having to google out whether a piece of hardware is Linux
    > supported bothers me...

    The problem with compiling such a list is that the hardware the kernel
    supports isn't necessarily called the same thing it is sold as. However,
    you can always install the kernel sources and look through the
    configuration (as if preparing to compile a kernel yourself). That
    should give you a complete view of what's supported.

+ Reply to Thread