confused by "wireless router" "wireless adsl modem" terminology - Hardware

This is a discussion on confused by "wireless router" "wireless adsl modem" terminology - Hardware ; I set out to get a replacement ADSL modem that would connect to a desktop computer via CAT5/RJ45 and to a telco DSLAM via filtered twisted pair. But I had the idea that it would also be nice to use ...

  1. confused by "wireless router" "wireless adsl modem" terminology

    I set out to get a replacement ADSL modem that would connect to a
    desktop computer via CAT5/RJ45 and to a telco DSLAM via filtered twisted
    pair. But I had the idea that it would also be nice to use it to allow a
    laptop with wireless support to access the Internet wirelessly through
    this ADSL modem and perhaps also communicate with the desktop machine.

    I did a lot of looking, but started out assuming that "wireless router"
    and "wireless adsl modem" could be combined in one unit. For example, I
    find attractive (not sure yet it works with Linux) the D-Link DSL-2640B,
    which is described as a modem with wireless router. It supports the ADSL
    standard and has as its ports: ADSL Port (RJ-11) and 4 10/100 Ethernet
    Port (RJ-45). So I assume it works as a regular ADSL model via telco
    twisted pair. But the online discussion makes it sound as though this
    modem simply accesses Internet via wireless AP. In other words, is the
    wireless feature of this modem offering an alternative way for the
    computer to access the world, or alternative ways to reach the
    computer's network?

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  2. Re: confused by "wireless router" "wireless adsl modem" terminology

    Haines Brown wrote:
    > I set out to get a replacement ADSL modem that would connect to a
    > desktop computer via CAT5/RJ45 and to a telco DSLAM via filtered twisted
    > pair. But I had the idea that it would also be nice to use it to allow a
    > laptop with wireless support to access the Internet wirelessly through
    > this ADSL modem and perhaps also communicate with the desktop machine.
    >
    > I did a lot of looking, but started out assuming that "wireless router"
    > and "wireless adsl modem" could be combined in one unit.

    Yes.

    > For example, I
    > find attractive (not sure yet it works with Linux) the D-Link DSL-2640B,
    > which is described as a modem with wireless router. It supports the ADSL
    > standard and has as its ports: ADSL Port (RJ-11) and 4 10/100 Ethernet
    > Port (RJ-45). So I assume it works as a regular ADSL model via telco
    > twisted pair.

    Yes.

    > But the online discussion makes it sound as though this
    > modem simply accesses Internet via wireless AP.

    Which online discussion? It might be possible to flash a different
    firmware to the device and use it as a wireless bridge (i.e. get
    internet via another wireless AP), but normally it is just like you
    thought: the internet is connected through the ADSL modem part of it,
    and the wireless is to connect your laptop etc.

    Here is an
    image.

    Regards...
    Michael

  3. Re: confused by "wireless router" "wireless adsl modem" terminology

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:43:12 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

    > I set out to get a replacement ADSL modem that would connect to a
    > desktop computer via CAT5/RJ45 and to a telco DSLAM via filtered twisted
    > pair. But I had the idea that it would also be nice to use it to allow a
    > laptop with wireless support to access the Internet wirelessly through
    > this ADSL modem and perhaps also communicate with the desktop machine.
    >
    > I did a lot of looking, but started out assuming that "wireless router"
    > and "wireless adsl modem" could be combined in one unit. For example, I
    > find attractive (not sure yet it works with Linux) the D-Link DSL-2640B,
    > which is described as a modem with wireless router. It supports the ADSL
    > standard and has as its ports: ADSL Port (RJ-11) and 4 10/100 Ethernet
    > Port (RJ-45). So I assume it works as a regular ADSL model via telco
    > twisted pair. But the online discussion makes it sound as though this
    > modem simply accesses Internet via wireless AP. In other words, is the
    > wireless feature of this modem offering an alternative way for the
    > computer to access the world, or alternative ways to reach the
    > computer's network?

    At least some dsl modems have a wireless addition which is optional. Such
    is the case with my Actiontec 1524. It is a dsl modem/router with four
    ethernet connections and can be optionally configured with integrated
    wireless, though I've not gone that route - I have a Dlink wireless
    router plugged into it and everything generally branches off that.

+ Reply to Thread