Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem? - Hardware ; Just purchased an Intel MB DG33TL, and the new 3 GHz E8400 core 2 duo and 8 GB of memory. Want to install Linux 64 bit. I just assumed, wrongly apparently, that SuSE 10.3 64bit or FC 8 would install ...

  1. Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    Just purchased an Intel MB DG33TL, and the new 3 GHz E8400 core 2 duo and 8
    GB of memory. Want to install Linux 64 bit.

    I just assumed, wrongly apparently, that SuSE 10.3 64bit or FC 8 would
    install as they have on other Intel MB's. But this was a wrong assumption.
    However, Windows XP Pro EMT-64 installs OK.

    SuSE 10.3 would not intall at all. FC 8 would only install with one stick
    of memory (2GB) and when the rest of memory was installed, it would not
    boot. Seemed agonizingly slow.

    The Intel web site says that this MB does not support Linux which I wish I
    had read before purchase.

    Am I stuck with making this a Windows 64 bit machine or is there a Linux
    distribution which would work 'out of the box' ?

    Am a not a Linux guru, so building a kernel may be beyond my reach.

    Thanks. John S

  2. Re: Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    "John S" wrote in message

    And to be clear, SuSE 10.3 was the 64bit iso file and the FC 8 was an x86_64
    iso DVD.

  3. Re: Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    "John S" wrote:

    > Just purchased an Intel MB DG33TL, and the new 3 GHz E8400 core 2 duo and
    > 8 GB of memory. Want to install Linux 64 bit.
    >
    > I just assumed, wrongly apparently, that SuSE 10.3 64bit or FC 8 would
    > install as they have on other Intel MB's. But this was a wrong
    > assumption. However, Windows XP Pro EMT-64 installs OK.

    I don't do Windows, but XP Pro has been out quite some time already, and I
    do know that Microsoft only ships Windows with the drivers that are at hand
    at the time of the Windows release (or shortly before that).

    In other words, "Windows XP Pro EMT-64" won't have any special drivers for
    this motherboard built-in that any fairly recent Linux kernel would not be
    featuring as well.

    > SuSE 10.3 would not intall at all.

    Please elaborate on that. What happens? What do you see appearing on the
    screen?

    > FC 8 would only install with one stick of memory (2GB) and when the rest
    > of memory was installed, it would not boot.

    Likewise here. Please elaborate on that. Error messages, etc. Don't
    guess; write them down on a sheet of paper if you have to. Without correct
    error messages, there is very little that we can do. ;-)

    > Seemed agonizingly slow.

    Considering that it boots with one memory stick but not with all four of
    them - I take it they are all 2 GB modules, right? - the problem is most
    likely hardware-related and not OS-related.

    > The Intel web site says that this MB does not support Linux which I wish I
    > had read before purchase.

    This is to be taken with a grain of salt. I've checked this mobo on Intel's
    website in order to find information that would corroborate that it does
    not support GNU/Linux, but in fact, the way I interpret that table with
    motherboards and operating systems, it only means that *Intel* will not
    support this motherboard for use with GNU/Linux - in terms of drivers,
    knowledgebase support etc. - _*not*_ that you can't run GNU/Linux on it.

    > Am I stuck with making this a Windows 64 bit machine or is there a Linux
    > distribution which would work 'out of the box' ?

    There are literally hundreds of GNU/Linux distributions out there, the
    majority of which are intended to be used on desktop systems of the x86
    platform - both 32-bit and 64-bit. ;-)

    Given the boot problem with the memory sticks and pending your feedback on
    erroneous behavior and error messages, I am inclined to believe there is a
    hardware failure at play here.

    However, just to be on the safe side, you *are* aware of the fact that you
    must *always* check the /md5sums/ on the downloaded /.iso/ files before you
    burn them to a CD/DVD, _and_ that you must use quality media and burn at
    (very) low speed for the best data integrity, right? :-)

    > Am a not a Linux guru, so building a kernel may be beyond my reach.

    Building a kernel is not so hard, actually. All it takes is to get started
    on the configuration without too much fear on your mind. Virtually every
    step of the configuration procedure offers (at least some) help on what an
    option does and what the recommended setting is.

    On the other hand, I do acknowledge that some insight and understanding of
    operating system technology and hardware details is required, so nobody
    here is going to try to talk you into rolling your own. ;-)

    As for what distro to try next, you could try Mandriva 2008.0, PCLinuxOS or
    any of the *buntus. ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    > I found that the DP35DP is a bit fussy about what memory it'll take.
    > Whatever memory you're using needs to be able to run at its rated specs at
    > 1.8V. That's the standard voltage for DDR2 memory, but there's plenty of
    > memory on the market that's specced for faster timings at a higher
    > voltage.
    > 3rd-party boards might allow you to tweak memory voltage as necessary, but
    > suspect that most Intel boards won't.
    >
    > I bought the aforementioned DP35DP with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 2 GB of
    > RAM.
    > At first, I left Fry's with a couple of OCZ DIMMs that they had on special
    > that weekend (don't recall which variety, but I recall that they had
    > gold-colored heat spreaders). After a couple or three hours' farting
    > around
    > with a system that wouldn't even POST half of the time, I swapped in some
    > Kingston ValueRAM from another system. While it was DDR2-533 instead of
    > DDR2-800, it was specced for 1.8V operation and ran like a champ. I took
    > the OCZ memory back, looked up the different varieties of memory they had
    > with their manufacturers' websites on my phone, and ended up leaving with
    > some Crucial DDR2-800 memory.
    >
    > Bottom line: the riceboy OMFG-speed DIMMs that more often than not need to
    > run at out-of-spec voltages to deliver their stated performance probably
    > won't run on an Intel motherboard (except maybe their "gamer" boards). If
    > you stick with standard memory (which most likely won't have heat
    > spreaders
    > installed because it doesn't need it), you'll probably have better luck
    > getting your machine up and running.

    OK. Some progress.

    Got SuSE 10.3 (kernel 2.6.22) to load AFTER puting in a separate graphics
    card. Seems SuSE did not want to work with the on-board Intel graphics.
    This is now up and running with 8 GB (4 sticks) of OCZ DDR2 800 PC2-6400
    memory.

    Have not tried this (separate video card) with FC8 (kernel 2.6.23). But did
    try replacing the OCZ memory with 2 GB of Kingston from another machine
    (same DDR2 PC2-6400), and then FC8 loaded with out a hitch using on board
    video.

    How would I install SuSE using the on-board Intel graphics, i.e., install
    time driver?

    John S

  5. Re: Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:04:01 -0500, John S wrote:

    >> I found that the DP35DP is a bit fussy about what memory it'll take.
    >> Whatever memory you're using needs to be able to run at its rated specs
    >> at 1.8V. That's the standard voltage for DDR2 memory, but there's
    >> plenty of memory on the market that's specced for faster timings at a
    >> higher voltage.
    >> 3rd-party boards might allow you to tweak memory voltage as necessary,
    >> but I
    >> suspect that most Intel boards won't.
    >>
    >> I bought the aforementioned DP35DP with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 2 GB of
    >> RAM.
    >> At first, I left Fry's with a couple of OCZ DIMMs that they had on
    >> special that weekend (don't recall which variety, but I recall that
    >> they had gold-colored heat spreaders). After a couple or three hours'
    >> farting around
    >> with a system that wouldn't even POST half of the time, I swapped in
    >> some Kingston ValueRAM from another system. While it was DDR2-533
    >> instead of DDR2-800, it was specced for 1.8V operation and ran like a
    >> champ. I took the OCZ memory back, looked up the different varieties
    >> of memory they had with their manufacturers' websites on my phone, and
    >> ended up leaving with some Crucial DDR2-800 memory.
    >>
    >> Bottom line: the riceboy OMFG-speed DIMMs that more often than not need
    >> to run at out-of-spec voltages to deliver their stated performance
    >> probably won't run on an Intel motherboard (except maybe their "gamer"
    >> boards). If you stick with standard memory (which most likely won't
    >> have heat spreaders
    >> installed because it doesn't need it), you'll probably have better luck
    >> getting your machine up and running.

    > OK. Some progress.
    >
    > Got SuSE 10.3 (kernel 2.6.22) to load AFTER puting in a separate
    > graphics card. Seems SuSE did not want to work with the on-board Intel
    > graphics. This is now up and running with 8 GB (4 sticks) of OCZ DDR2
    > 800 PC2-6400 memory.
    >
    > Have not tried this (separate video card) with FC8 (kernel 2.6.23). But
    > did try replacing the OCZ memory with 2 GB of Kingston from another
    > machine (same DDR2 PC2-6400), and then FC8 loaded with out a hitch using
    > on board video.
    >
    > How would I install SuSE using the on-board Intel graphics, i.e.,
    > install time driver?
    >
    > John S

    Now that you have Suse installed all you should have to do is install a
    2.6.23 kernel. If Suse doesn't provide one then you should compile a
    standard kernel. Once you have installed a standard kernel you should be
    able to use the on board graphics chip.

  6. Re: Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    Part of the problem with SuSE 10.3 is ACPI. But when this is disabled, and
    using the on-board Intel graphics, X windows fails to start. Not sure how
    to setup X for use with Intel graphics.

    Since one can get to a command promp (init level 3), how would one go about
    trying to get X to run?

    Using an nVivida separate graphics card, things seem to work OK with SuSE.

    John

  7. Re: Linux distribution for Intel DG33TL MB, E8400, 64bit, 8 GB mem?

    I demand that John S may or may not have written...

    > Part of the problem with SuSE 10.3 is ACPI. But when this is disabled, and

    > using the on-board Intel graphics, X windows fails to start. Not sure how
    > to setup X for use with Intel graphics.

    xf86-video-intel >= 2.0 should be fine; install 2.2 (and xrandr 1.2) if you
    can.

    [snip]
    | + Lobby friends, family, business, government. WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET.

    Watch carefully; the special effects are very expensive.

+ Reply to Thread