Intel G33 chipset with Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on Intel G33 chipset with Linux - Hardware ; I“m trying to use Intel G33 chipset (Intel BLKDG33FBC motherboard) with intel quad-core, 8 GB RAM and RAID1 with two sata-disks. My problem is: the Debian Linux is running extreamly slow. This problem seems to be G33 chipset-based, the same ...

  1. Intel G33 chipset with Linux

    I“m trying to use Intel G33 chipset (Intel BLKDG33FBC motherboard) with
    intel quad-core, 8 GB RAM and RAID1 with two sata-disks.

    My problem is: the Debian Linux is running extreamly slow.
    This problem seems to be G33 chipset-based, the same installation is
    running very fast with other motherboards.

    Any ideas how to improve G33 chipset“s performance with Linux?

    -JM

  2. Re: Intel G33 chipset with Linux

    Jari Maki wrote:

    > IĀ“m trying to use Intel G33 chipset (Intel BLKDG33FBC motherboard) with
    > intel quad-core, 8 GB RAM and RAID1 with two sata-disks.
    >
    > My problem is: the Debian Linux is running extreamly slow.
    > This problem seems to be G33 chipset-based, the same installation is
    > running very fast with other motherboards.
    >
    > Any ideas how to improve G33 chipsetĀ“s performance with Linux?

    I don't know that chipset, but if you are sure that it is indeed the chipset
    that's slowing your system with this particular installation, I would
    recommend trying a more recent kernel, or building one of your own.

    Although this may not be related to your specific problem - I don't even
    know what kernel you're running - there appears to be a patch to the SLUB
    allocator in the 2.6.24.x generation of kernels which greatly slows down
    multi-CPU machines. The patch has been reverted for the experimental
    2.6.15-rc2 kernel, so chances are that the slightly older 2.6.23.x kernel
    or an eventual upcoming 2.6.24.3 will have this fixed as well.

    On the other hand, if you decide to build your own kernel from scratch using
    the current 2.6.24.2 vanilla kernel, then you could opt for SLAB instead of
    SLUB. SLAB is older and perhaps a little less memory-efficient - not that
    this should be a problem on a 64-bit machine with 8 GB of RAM - but in this
    particular case it would give you better performance.

    Hope this was helpful... ;-)
    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Intel G33 chipset with Linux - correction

    Aragorn wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > Although this may not be related to your specific problem - I don't even
    > know what kernel you're running - there appears to be a patch to the SLUB
    > allocator in the 2.6.24.x generation of kernels which greatly slows down
    > multi-CPU machines. The patch has been reverted for the experimental
    > 2.6.15-rc2 kernel, so chances are that the slightly older 2.6.23.x kernel
    > or an eventual upcoming 2.6.24.3 will have this fixed as well.

    Oops, the experimental kernel mentioned there would of course be 2.6.25-rc2.
    Typo, my mistake. ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)