Hello people,

I am currently setting up a machine for use with the Xen hypervisor and
paravirtualized (Gentoo) GNU/Linux guests. The machine has two videocards
installed, i.e.:
(1) an Asus nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS PCIe with 640 MB; and
(2) a GeCube ATi Radeon 9250 PCI with 256 MB.

The reason as to why there are two cards in this machine is because I want
to hide the GeForce PCIe card from the Xen /dom0/ and use it with the
proprietary nVidia driver in /domU./

According to the Xen documentation, hiding th edevice from the hypervisor
and the /dom0/ "XenLinux" kernel /should/ work, and according to the nVidia
forums, this hiding /should/ allow one to build the driver and run X11
in /domU,/ *with* hardware acceleration even, although the reports on that
show varying degrees of success.

Well, that all sounds nice - let's stay optimistic for a change ;-) - but
I'm not quite there yet - lots of things to do and very little time to do
them, you know how that goes ;-) - and apart from being able to use the
GeForce for X11 in /domU,/ I also want to be able to use it for the normal
character mode console - I don't like display managers anyway - and
preferably even with a nice framebuffer.

The problem however is that the Radeon PCI adapter will be seen by /domU/ as
the primary video device as well for whereas the console is concerned (as
it'll get paravirtualized) and I don't want to have to switch the monitor
channels all the time when switching back and forth between character mode
consoles and X11.

So my question is this: is it possible to hide the Radeon PCI device from
the Linux kernel in /domU,/ or alternatively, is it possible to have the
Linux kernel see the GeForce as the primary video adapter instead of the
Radeon?

Much obliged for any pointers. ;-)
--
Aragorn