sending raw data to printer - Hardware

This is a discussion on sending raw data to printer - Hardware ; Is it possible to send raw data to my printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot matrix) and still use buffering, so I can run "lpr filename" (or whatever) and the command will return after a second or two, while the printer ...

  1. sending raw data to printer

    Is it possible to send raw data to my printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot
    matrix) and still use buffering, so I can run "lpr filename" (or
    whatever) and the command will return after a second or two, while the
    printer chugs away for minutes? Graphics aren't important, they can be
    omitted. The reason I want this is the printer's text speed is so much
    faster than graphically printing rendered text. It's using Epson
    emulation right now, but can also emulate an IBM Proprinter (II or III).

    --
    "Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
    only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th

  2. Re: sending raw data to printer

    In article <63i685-tr4.ln1@royalty.mine.nu>,
    Hactar wrote:
    > Is it possible to send raw data to my printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot
    > matrix) and still use buffering, so I can run "lpr filename" (or
    > whatever) and the command will return after a second or two, while the
    > printer chugs away for minutes?

    Found it. Define the printer as make "raw", model "raw queue", then
    print to it with "lpr -P queue file". OO Writer sends what looks like
    PostScript... odd.

    VIRGO: All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
    for you. Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
    head impaled upon a stick. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

  3. Re: sending raw data to printer

    Hactar wrote:
    > In article <63i685-tr4.ln1@royalty.mine.nu>,
    > Hactar wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to send raw data to my printer (a Citizen GSX-230 dot
    >>matrix) and still use buffering, so I can run "lpr filename" (or
    >>whatever) and the command will return after a second or two, while the
    >>printer chugs away for minutes?

    > Found it. Define the printer as make "raw", model "raw queue", then
    > print to it with "lpr -P queue file". OO Writer sends what looks like
    > PostScript... odd.

    I've set up a raw queue as well as the "Epson 9pin" one.

    There is another method, you can pipe output directly to lpr like this

    ls | lpr

    or even better, to /dev/lp0, the line printer device
    like this.

    ls > /dev/lp0

    This sends data directly to the printer device, bypassing even the print
    queue. I'm not sure how buffering with that works though.

+ Reply to Thread