Linux Printer Driver - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux Printer Driver - Hardware ; I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick...

  1. Linux Printer Driver

    I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
    printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

  2. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

    > I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
    > printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

    Good luck. Canon support is much worse than non-existant. Next time, I'd
    recommend you try Epson or HP.

  3. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    ray writes:

    >On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

    >> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
    >> printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

    >Good luck. Canon support is much worse than non-existant. Next time, I'd
    >recommend you try Epson or HP.

    My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.

    Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
    error.

    --
    <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
    <> bgeer@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

  4. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:09:11 +0000, bgeer wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >
    > >On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

    > >> I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460
    > >> multifunction printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

    > >Good luck. Canon support is much worse than non-existant. Next time,
    > >I'd recommend you try Epson or HP.

    > My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.
    >
    > Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
    > error.

    I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
    easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze to
    set up.

  5. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    Dick Gray wrote:

    > I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
    > printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

    There is the commercial turboprint driver (http://www.turboprint.info/)

  6. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On 2008-02-08, ray wrote:

    >> My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.
    >>
    >> Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
    >> error.

    > I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
    > easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze to
    > set up.

    If it speaks Postscript, you only have to get the PPD files from the Windows
    driver.

    Douglas Adams

  7. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:59:02 +0100, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2008-02-08, ray wrote:
    >
    >>> My Brother MFC-7820N has Linux support that was fairly easy to set up.
    >>>
    >>> Doing the CUPS stuff right, on the other hand, took a little trial &
    >>> error.

    >> I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
    >> easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze
    >> to set up.

    > If it speaks Postscript, you only have to get the PPD files from the
    > Windows driver.

    True PostScript printers are quite rare any more and have always been
    expensive. If you have one which runs PS as an emulation layer, it will
    be significantly faster using the native language - which is often PCL.

  8. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On 2008-02-09, ray wrote:

    >>> I've always found Epson and HP units to be quite straight forward and
    >>> easy to set up. Generally, if a printer speaks PCL it will be a breeze
    >>> to set up.

    >> If it speaks Postscript, you only have to get the PPD files from the
    >> Windows driver.

    > True PostScript printers are quite rare any more and have always been
    > expensive. If you have one which runs PS as an emulation layer, it will
    > be significantly faster using the native language - which is often PCL.

    Never thaought someone would have to tell me this; I've been saying that for
    years. You (we) are, of course, completely right.

    Douglas Adams

  9. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:

    > I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
    > printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

    Check turboprint.com. There is both an English and a German website.
    Not sure about your model, and not free but works very well with my Canon
    iP8500 and produces photo quality prints.

  10. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    On 28 Feb, 16:31, Joel Swartz wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:55:14 -0600, Dick Gray wrote:
    > > I am in need of a printer driver for a Canon PIXMA MP460 multifunction
    > > printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

    > Check turboprint.com. There is both an English and a German website.
    > Not sure about your model, and not free but works very well with my Canon
    > iP8500 and produces photo quality prints.

    I'm waiting for someone to make a "wrapper" like the ndis one for
    networking, that will allow windows printer drivers to run on Linux.

  11. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    robertharvey@my-deja.com writes:

    > I'm waiting for someone to make a "wrapper" like the ndis one for
    > networking, that will allow windows printer drivers to run on Linux.

    You may be waiting a while, then. The Linux and Windows driver
    interfaces for printing are radically different, so it would be quite
    a challenge to implement usefully. Meanwhile, the set of printers
    that are inoperable under Linux has actually grown rather small, thus
    removing whatever motivation there might have been to support Windows
    printer drivers.

    If there is no free driver for the OP's Canon, then it is likely to
    become a paperweight even if it works now with a vendor or third party
    driver. These binary drivers, particularly those from the vendor,
    have an irritating tendency to break over time.

    --
    Grant Taylor
    Embedded Linux Consultant

  12. Re: Linux Printer Driver

    In Grant Taylor:

    [Snip...]

    > These binary drivers, particularly those from the vendor, have an
    > irritating tendency to break over time.

    Not to mention unknown ticking timebombs on occasion:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10..._graphics_bug/