Hardware problem in my Linux box - Hardware

This is a discussion on Hardware problem in my Linux box - Hardware ; I am having a hardware problem in one of my Linux boxes, and I wonder if anyone here could me assess what it is, and how serious it is? The box can run normally for a few days until, all ...

  1. Hardware problem in my Linux box

    I am having a hardware problem in one of my Linux boxes, and I
    wonder if anyone here could me assess what it is, and how serious it is?

    The box can run normally for a few days until, all of sudden, in
    my /var/log/syslog file I start seeing the following errors:

    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x80 { Busy }
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }
    Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Feb 5 11:41:38 xyz kernel: hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51
    { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Feb 5 11:41:38 xyz kernel: hdc: request sense failure: error=0x20
    { LastFailedSense=0x02 }

    After this, when I do top the system load is 1.00 - even if no
    applications are doing anything much. Or, to put it in a different way,
    the kernel seems to be the one responsible for this load.

    Now had /dev/hdc been a hard drive the answer would be
    straightforward: A dying hard drive. As it happens, /dev/hdc is a DVD
    writer. In fact, it is the second DVD writer I have put in this box, for
    the original one gave the same problems. Since the original one seems to
    be working fine in a different box, I very much doubt that we are talking
    two defective DVD writers.

    Likewise, I have replaced the ribbon cable that connects the DVD
    writer to its slave hard drive and the motherboard, to no avail.

    Might this be a problem with the slave hard drive? I would have
    thought it isn't, for that drive seems to work fine. The motherboard?
    What else should I look into?

  2. Re: Hardware problem in my Linux box

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:22:35 +0000, Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I am having a hardware problem in one of my Linux boxes, and I wonder if
    > anyone here could me assess what it is, and how serious it is?
    >
    > The box can run normally for a few days until, all of sudden, in
    > my /var/log/syslog file I start seeing the following errors:
    >
    > Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { } Feb 5
    > 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz
    > kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { } Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel:
    > ide: failed opcode was: unknown Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status
    > error: status=0x80 { Busy } Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed
    > opcode was: unknown Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error:
    > status=0x00 { } Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was:
    > unknown Feb 5 11:41:38 xyz kernel: hdc: request sense failure:
    > status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > Feb 5 11:41:38 xyz kernel: hdc: request sense failure: error=0x20 {
    > LastFailedSense=0x02 }
    >
    > After this, when I do top the system load is 1.00 - even if no
    > applications are doing anything much. Or, to put it in a different way,
    > the kernel seems to be the one responsible for this load.
    >
    > Now had /dev/hdc been a hard drive the answer would be
    > straightforward: A dying hard drive. As it happens, /dev/hdc is a DVD
    > writer. In fact, it is the second DVD writer I have put in this box, for
    > the original one gave the same problems. Since the original one seems to
    > be working fine in a different box, I very much doubt that we are
    > talking two defective DVD writers.
    >
    > Likewise, I have replaced the ribbon cable that connects the DVD
    > writer to its slave hard drive and the motherboard, to no avail.
    >
    > Might this be a problem with the slave hard drive? I would have
    > thought it isn't, for that drive seems to work fine. The motherboard?
    > What else should I look into?

    Try putting it on a different ATA connector, it could be a problem with
    the ATA controller.

  3. Re: Hardware problem in my Linux box

  4. Re: Hardware problem in my Linux box

    Harold Weissman writes:
    > The box can run normally for a few days until, all of sudden, in
    >my /var/log/syslog file I start seeing the following errors:
    >
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x80 { Busy }
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }
    >Feb 5 11:41:36 xyz kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    >Feb 5 11:41:38 xyz kernel: hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51
    >{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    >Feb 5 11:41:38 xyz kernel: hdc: request sense failure: error=0x20
    >{ LastFailedSense=0x02 }

    > Now had /dev/hdc been a hard drive the answer would be
    >straightforward: A dying hard drive.

    Not in my experience. I have seen such things on drives that seem
    perfectly healthy. This is a communication problem between the
    mainboard and the drive; it may come from some hardware problem (e.g.,
    bad (maybe too long) cable); I saw it when I had put the drive in a
    removable frame.

    The most annoying problem I have had with this error is that the md
    driver in RAID-1 mode also thinks that the device is dying and marks
    the device as failed.

    > Likewise, I have replaced the ribbon cable that connects the DVD
    >writer to its slave hard drive and the motherboard, to no avail.

    Then it's probably not a cable problem.

    - anton