ati xorg driver low res only - Hardware

This is a discussion on ati xorg driver low res only - Hardware ; I have a 9550 ati card, I get better resolution using the vesa driver but i can only get the dvi interface to work with the ati xorg driver. I am currently using 1152x768 and it works great in vesa. ...

  1. ati xorg driver low res only

    I have a 9550 ati card, I get better resolution using the vesa driver
    but i can only get the dvi interface to work with the ati xorg
    driver. I am currently using 1152x768 and it works great in vesa. ati
    gives me weird resolutions with less than 500 horizontal lines.
    any tricks, may be wait for a new driver? Any conf samples? thanks.

    This is how my xorg.conf looks

    Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"
    Driver "vesa"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection

  2. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    joe writes:
    >I have a 9550 ati card, I get better resolution using the vesa driver
    >but i can only get the dvi interface to work with the ati xorg
    >driver.

    In theory the "ati" driver should defer automatically to the "radeon"
    driver, but I have had little luck with that. You might try
    specifying "radeon" explicitly.

    >I am currently using 1152x768 and it works great in vesa. ati
    >gives me weird resolutions with less than 500 horizontal lines.

    Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, there you should see what X does
    not like about the modes you have specified.

    >any tricks, may be wait for a new driver?

    I have used X.org 7.1.1 with the "radeon" driver with an RV350-based
    card, and it worked fine.

    > Any conf samples? thanks.

    I have had good experiences with various Radeon cards by starting X
    without any conf file (X.org 7.1.1 is intelligent enough to find out
    most relevant things by itself). However, you have a screen with a
    resolution that is probably not covered by the EDID information; in
    that case you need a conf file. What might be missing from your conf
    file is a mode line for the 1152x768 mode, and maybe also monitor
    frequency ranges.

    - anton

  3. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    joe staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have a 9550 ati card. I get better resolution using the vesa driver,
    > but i can only get the dvi interface to work with the ati xorg
    > driver.

    "ati" is really for Mach64 cards. Use "radeon" if you have something
    with a Radeon name. Which distro are you using, and which version of X
    are you using?

    > I am currently using 1152x768 and it works great in vesa. ati
    > gives me weird resolutions with less than 500 horizontal lines.
    >
    > Section "Module"
    > Load "bitmap" Load "ddc" Load "dri" Load "extmod"
    > Load "freetype" Load "glx"

    > Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"

    glx may or may not work properly with this card. The man page for a
    recent radeon module mentions that the RV350 chipset only works in 2D
    right now. First thing to do is to try commenting that line out.

    > Modes "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600"

    What's the native resolution of the monitor? You need that in your
    Modes line for best results, unless you're using a CRT. In that case,
    you need to have the Hsync and Vsync ranges correct. Look in
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log for anything that seems odd and follow up with
    appropriate lines from that. *DO NOT* post the whole logfile; it's ~600
    lines long and most of it is completely useless.

    --
    ....a 12 kV pulse capacitor a buddy of mine has. Charging it to 4,000
    V is enough to vaporize a small peach. The air smells of a rather

  4. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    Dances With Crows writes:
    >> Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"

    >glx may or may not work properly with this card. The man page for a
    >recent radeon module mentions that the RV350 chipset only works in 2D
    >right now.

    The man page at my machine says that, too. It is outdated. I have
    experienced accelerated 3D on RV350 cards (9600, 9600XT)
    <2007Feb2.184806@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>.

    - anton

  5. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

  6. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "mode"

    This should list modes recognized for your driver/card.

    If you're using the ATI drivers, then you might try DefaultDepth 24. I've
    only been able to get 24 bit colors working. If you're using the radeon
    driver then more modes and color depths should be available.

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Make sure you have the kernel module(s) for your card available and/or
    loaded (modprobe). Otherwise Vesa is your friend.

  7. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    I got it to work at 1920 x 540 but no way I can look at it like that.
    I tried 960x540 but I got a blank screen. No Cheese so far.

    On Feb 3, 6:19*pm, Shadow_7 wrote:
    > $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "mode"
    >
    > This should list modes recognized for your driver/card.
    >
    > If you're using the ATI drivers, then you might try DefaultDepth 24. *I've
    > only been able to get 24 bit colors working. *If you're using the radeon
    > driver then more modes and color depths should be available.
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > * * * * Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
    > * * * * Device * * "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    > * * * * Monitor * *"aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    > * * * * DefaultDepth * * 24
    > * * * * SubSection "Display"
    > * * * * * * * * Depth * * 24
    > * * * * * * * * Modes * *"1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    > * * * * EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > Make sure you have the kernel module(s) for your card available and/or
    > loaded (modprobe). *Otherwise Vesa is your friend.

  8. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    Anton Ertl staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows writes:
    >>> Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"

    >>glx may or may not work properly with this card. The man page for a
    >>recent radeon module mentions that the RV350 chipset only works in 2D
    >>right now.

    > The man page at my machine says that, too. It is outdated. I have
    > experienced accelerated 3D on RV350 cards (9600, 9600XT)

    Ah. Good to know. This is where somebody should holler at the Xorg
    people and give them a patch for their radeon man page, right?

    --
    PIG: How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae
    my sea anemone enemy.

  9. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:18:40 -0800, joe wrote:

    >> $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "mode"
    >>
    >> This should list modes recognized for your driver/card.

    Any results on this query? I've never gone higher than 1280x800 myself.
    But that's the max resolution of my laptops LCD. Some of my 17" monitors
    do 1152x???, but I have a hard enough time looking at them at 1024x768.
    Especially if I use -dpi 75 to put more text in a given space. Thank
    goodness for Cntrl+Alt+[+/-]. I think mom's 20" LCD does a bit higher,
    but she rarely uses it at anything greater than 800x600. The joys of
    getting older. Maybe someday when I get a beefy video card and a 30+"
    LCD...

  10. Re: ati xorg driver low res only

    I demand that Dances With Crows may or may not have written...

    > Anton Ertl staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >>> glx may or may not work properly with this card. The man page for a
    >>> recent radeon module mentions that the RV350 chipset only works in 2D
    >>> right now.

    >> The man page at my machine says that, too. It is outdated. I have
    >> experienced accelerated 3D on RV350 cards (9600, 9600XT)

    > Ah. Good to know. This is where somebody should holler at the Xorg
    > people and give them a patch for their radeon man page, right?

    No :-)

    http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xor...h=e155659f4b00

    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    'In closing' is always followed by the other half of the speech.

+ Reply to Thread