USB External soundcard - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB External soundcard - Hardware ; Hi, I'd like to connect to my laptop a 5.1 (or better 7.1) speakers. My built-in soundcard doesn't support it, so I think I should buy an USB external soundcard. My question is, how are they working on linux today ...

  1. USB External soundcard

    Hi,

    I'd like to connect to my laptop a 5.1 (or better 7.1) speakers. My
    built-in soundcard doesn't support it, so I think I should buy an USB
    external soundcard.

    My question is, how are they working on linux today (especially hardware
    mixing)? Are there any problems? Can you recomend any external
    soundcard? I think about buying Sound Blaster Surround (5.1) or Audigy 2
    NX (7.1).

    Marcin

  2. Re: USB External soundcard

    > My question is, how are they working on linux today (especially hardware
    > mixing)? Are there any problems? Can you recomend any external
    > soundcard? I think about buying Sound Blaster Surround (5.1) or Audigy 2
    > NX (7.1).

    As long as the card is USB Class Compliant it should work(snd-usb-audio).
    You do have some limited bandwidth with USB so don't be expecting too much
    from one. Those two wouldn't be my fist choice. But their popularity
    should ensure that they work to some extent.

    http://alsa-project.org/

    If the laptop has firewire, you might try looking in that direction.
    A lot more options going that route. And bandwidth is much better if you
    plan on recording at high sample rates.

    http://freebob.sourceforge.net/

  3. Re: USB External soundcard

    Shadow_7 wrote:

    > If the laptop has firewire, you might try looking in that direction.
    > A lot more options going that route. And bandwidth is much better if you
    > plan on recording at high sample rates.
    >
    > http://freebob.sourceforge.net/

    Sory, I've forgotten to describe my hardware and software I'm using
    HP Pavilion dv6625ew, and my distro is Fedora 8 (maybe it's important,
    it has pulseaudio).

    Hmm, I haven't thought about fiirewire soundcard, maybe I should. But I
    don't need to record anything, I just want to use 5.1/7.1 speakers for
    music, movies etc.

    Marcin

  4. Re: USB External soundcard

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:35:43 +0100, MarcinR wrote:
    >Hi,

    >I'd like to connect to my laptop a 5.1 (or better 7.1) speakers. My
    >built-in soundcard doesn't support it, so I think I should buy an USB
    >external soundcard.

    >My question is, how are they working on linux today (especially hardware
    >mixing)? Are there any problems? Can you recomend any external
    >soundcard? I think about buying Sound Blaster Surround (5.1) or Audigy 2
    >NX (7.1).

    I had a turtle beach usb sound card. I dumped it because there was a 0.5
    second lag on everything. Myth tv was able to keep video and sound in
    sync, but the buffering lag royally screwed up trying to perform any
    repositioning operations. They all incured a 0.5 second buffering spoolup
    lag.

  5. Re: USB External soundcard

    MarcinR wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to connect to my laptop a 5.1 (or better 7.1) speakers. My
    > built-in soundcard doesn't support it, so I think I should buy an USB
    > external soundcard.
    >
    > My question is, how are they working on linux today (especially hardware
    > mixing)? Are there any problems? Can you recomend any external
    > soundcard? I think about buying Sound Blaster Surround (5.1) or Audigy 2
    > NX (7.1).

    I have a Phillips entertainment system with a USB connection. I just
    plug it in a go on my FC7 laptop. Either alsa and OSS are no problem

+ Reply to Thread