SATA/ATA - Hardware

This is a discussion on SATA/ATA - Hardware ; Can I use a SATA disk with an ATA controller? -- Timothy Murphy e-mail ( tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland...

  1. SATA/ATA

    Can I use a SATA disk with an ATA controller?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: SATA/ATA

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:07:40 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > Can I use a SATA disk with an ATA controller?

    Possibly - if you can figure a way to plug it in.

  3. Re: SATA/ATA

    In message , Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > Can I use a SATA disk with an ATA controller?

    Not without extra hardware to interface it. I've got a widget that will
    connect an ATA drive to a SATA controller so I assume the reverse must
    exist.
    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)

  4. Re: SATA/ATA

    Timothy Murphy writes:

    > Can I use a SATA disk with an ATA controller?

    With a USD$43 adapter::

    http://sewelldirect.com/IDE-to-SerialATA-Converter.asp

    For the record, the reverse can also be done, for USD$17

    http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAtoIDEConverter.asp

    Never tried them, and I'm not in any way affiliated with that company.
    Google for alternatives. I just saved those links from an answer I found
    somewhere else.

  5. Re: SATA/ATA

    On 3 Feb 2008 15:01:36 GMT, ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:07:40 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >
    >> Can I use a SATA disk with an ATA controller?

    > Possibly - if you can figure a way to plug it in.

    There are adaptors. I think there must be adaptors for just about anything
    these days.

    Would this be something like you want?

    http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_to_ide_adapter.html

    If not, the satacables and satasite websites are pretty rich with sata
    facts.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

+ Reply to Thread